The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Altiverb
Old 1st July 2019
Here for the gear

Altiverb

Just bought Altiverb 7. Anyone care to share their favorite room for cinematic strings? Thanks.
Old 2nd July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljlewis View Post
Just bought Altiverb 7. Anyone care to share their favorite room for cinematic strings? Thanks.
Todd AO. It's the closest IR I've found to the sound of Abbey Road Studio 1 when I've recorded there.

I usually use Todd AO M50s Wide at 11.7m or whichever the wide one is around 11m.

works great on brass, strings, woodwinds and some orchestral percussion (timp, snare, gran casa, chimes, glock, etc).

There are other ones that are great too... but specifically for orchestral strings, brass and WW.... the Todd AO IR is a good one.
Old 2nd July 2019
Mrx
Gear Addict

Interesting, never used that IR before on strings, must try. My favourite way to use Altiverb is as a creative tool, especially on drums and guitars.
Old 2nd July 2019
Also to add to this...

if you are using String VIs that don't sound very good you may need to stack two verbs...

Since most real orchestra is recorded WITH a room sound... if your VI isn't that great choose the close mics and then send them to Todd AO and use the Todd AO track almost as your Decca Tree (your main part of the sound.

Then add a second verb, like a Lexicon 480L Hall after that to emulate how a mixer would normally set up the verb on a mix.

Todd AO is great but it's not a super long tail... Which I like because it doesn't get washy or muddy... but if you need a longer tail... you can always do two Altiverbs on separate Aux tracks... one for the Todd AO and another for something like a Lexicon 480L (which is under the "gear" section of Altiverb) and use one of the Hall settings.
Old 2nd July 2019
Mrx
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
Also to add to this...

if you are using String VIs that don't sound very good you may need to stack two verbs...

Since most real orchestra is recorded WITH a room sound... if your VI isn't that great choose the close mics and then send them to Todd AO and use the Todd AO track almost as your Decca Tree (your main part of the sound.

Then add a second verb, like a Lexicon 480L Hall after that to emulate how a mixer would normally set up the verb on a mix.

Todd AO is great but it's not a super long tail... Which I like because it doesn't get washy or muddy... but if you need a longer tail... you can always do two Altiverbs on separate Aux tracks... one for the Todd AO and another for something like a Lexicon 480L (which is under the "gear" section of Altiverb) and use one of the Hall settings.
Nice one really like the sound of Todd AO
Old 3rd July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
Todd AO. It's the closest IR I've found to the sound of Abbey Road Studio 1 when I've recorded there.

I usually use Todd AO M50s Wide at 11.7m or whichever the wide one is around 11m.

works great on brass, strings, woodwinds and some orchestral percussion (timp, snare, gran casa, chimes, glock, etc).

There are other ones that are great too... but specifically for orchestral strings, brass and WW.... the Todd AO IR is a good one.
What's the M50s bit? I can't see anything saying that on the plugin. I used to use a Todd AO impulse in Space Designer for years then stopped for some reason. Totally forgot I had Altiverb. I use 7th Heaven these days.
Old 3rd July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
What's the M50s bit? I can't see anything saying that on the plugin. I used to use a Todd AO impulse in Space Designer for years then stopped for some reason. Totally forgot I had Altiverb. I use 7th Heaven these days.
my bad... for some reason I was thinking they had two sets, one with 4006s and one with M50s... But they don't. There is only one set.

The one I usually use is the Stereo In, 10.7m Wide. but the other Todd AO IRs are good too. Just for me, for some reason, the 10.7 wide is the right amount of balance between ER and Reverb tail.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search