The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Submission dilemma
Old 1st July 2019
Here for the gear

Submission dilemma

So I submitted my first album to several libraries about week and a half ago. I had a reply last week from one saying they write internally but are looking for external writers to work with and would be interested in a conversation. They've offered to send an example writers agreement which I'm just waiting for now.

Then this morning I've had a reply from another library saying they like the material and definitely want to publish. Their only proviso is that the release wouldn't be until November although that's not an issue for me.

Obviously I have a choice to make but I note the first one hasn't explicitly offered to take on the album I submitted.

Both libraries look like small/ medium size companies with decent credits although the first one has only been going less than a year.

My question is how bad is it to submit material to a library then tell them it's unavailable?

Gary
Old 1st July 2019
Mrx
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uploaded View Post
So I submitted my first album to several libraries about week and a half ago. I had a reply last week from one saying they write internally but are looking for external writers to work with and would be interested in a conversation. They've offered to send an example writers agreement which I'm just waiting for now.

Then this morning I've had a reply from another library saying they like the material and definitely want to publish. Their only proviso is that the release wouldn't be until November although that's not an issue for me.

Obviously I have a choice to make but I note the first one hasn't explicitly offered to take on the album I submitted.

Both libraries look like small/ medium size companies with decent credits although the first one has only been going less than a year.

My question is how bad is it to submit material to a library then tell them it's unavailable?

Gary
I think it's o.k to submit music to a library and then let them know, once you've looked at all the offers, that you're going with someone else. If you do it in a respectful manner I can't see why that should be a problem.
Old 1st July 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks I may have been thinking about this backwards. I read on one library website that if they offered to publish and then you told them the tracks were unavailable they'd refuse to work with you. It was playing on my mind having submitted to about 20 but what you say makes more sense.
Old 1st July 2019
Mrx
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uploaded View Post
Thanks I may have been thinking about this backwards. I read on one library website that if they offered to publish and then you told them the tracks were unavailable they'd refuse to work with you. It was playing on my mind having submitted to about 20 but what you say makes more sense.
If you've agreed with them to go ahead and then change your mind I can see why that could be a problem for them but sending out 20 submissions and choosing the best offer is good old fashioned business IMO.
Old 1st July 2019
Gear Addict

Just go with the second one.

If the first one is actually interested, you'll have to tell me that it's no longer available. But what I'd suggest is that you tell them that you'd be happy to write a similar album for them within the next month or two. That way you get more music out there and both libraries are happy
Old 2nd July 2019
Here for the gear

I've not committed to either yet and have asked both for a copy of their writers agreements just to make sure there's nothing unexpected but I've pretty much decided on the second one, mostly on the basis that their communication has been much clearer and straight forward. Experience running my studio and from other businesses I've been involved with tells me that's a good indication for a working relationship.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search