The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
European TV Promos (Netherlands) sync fees?
Old 29th June 2019
Here for the gear

European TV Promos (Netherlands) sync fees?

I know there are a lot of people here doing production music, so it seems like a good place to ask; does anyone have any experience with placements in European TV promos? I was wondering what kind of sync fees those would generate, if any.

I have a couple albums that get distributed to Europe via BMG and I've caught 5 different TV Promos in the Netherlands since November last year. Just little "This week on (insert show here)!" ads, all on RTL4 or "Nederland 1" as the channel/network. All of my experience so far has been with American Reality TV and movie/game trailers, so I am curious as to how these kinds of promos pay out. Do these get sync fees? If so, is there a set rate sheet somewhere? Anyone had similar placements and have amounts to share if you don't mind? Also, does BMG do whatever (Numerator?) It needs to make sure promos are tracked for royalties?

Sorry for so many questions, this is just new territory for me and I'd love to have an idea of what to expect, even if it's just anecdotal
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenMcDonald View Post
I know there are a lot of people here doing production music, so it seems like a good place to ask; does anyone have any experience with placements in European TV promos? I was wondering what kind of sync fees those would generate, if any.

I have a couple albums that get distributed to Europe via BMG and I've caught 5 different TV Promos in the Netherlands since November last year. Just little "This week on (insert show here)!" ads, all on RTL4 or "Nederland 1" as the channel/network. All of my experience so far has been with American Reality TV and movie/game trailers, so I am curious as to how these kinds of promos pay out. Do these get sync fees? If so, is there a set rate sheet somewhere? Anyone had similar placements and have amounts to share if you don't mind? Also, does BMG do whatever (Numerator?) It needs to make sure promos are tracked for royalties?

Sorry for so many questions, this is just new territory for me and I'd love to have an idea of what to expect, even if it's just anecdotal

Hey,

as far as I know, typical rate if you work for hire is somewhere around 2000 Euros or (sometimes significantly) more for a commercial in sync fee...I am not sure what are the rates when you have library involved as the middle-man. What I do know for sure is that one of my tracks was used in Finland (at Finland's Fox channel) in ad for TV show Legion - it generated 128$ in royalties, which is not bad, considering it was an ad for a single episode. Royalties in Denmark for an in-show placement are anywhere from 5$ and more, we are again talking about writers share, not sync fee. Not much of a help, just sharing what I know...
Old 3 weeks ago
I got a bunch of placements on those networks. I haven’t gotten any sync fees, but I do get some small backend royalties.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Can tell you more in October. So far for me sync fees have been good mainly for Japan and Australia. For Europe not so much. But maybe my publisher just has more blanket deals for certain territories.

As for the royalties, it's up to the tv station to report the music usage, and then to your PRO to collect the royalties. I assume that BMG will help their clients with questions regarding cue sheets if necessary. At least some publishers do track usage of the music in their catalogue, and reference it with the royalty statements of their PRO. So they will noticeT if royalties are missing.
Theoretically royalties should be an automatic process for the composers. Unfortunately there are frequent problems with either the cue sheets, or at a PRO.

It can take a long time until royalties are distributed to the composer. A few months if you are lucky, more than a year to never if you are unlucky. I am waiting for close to two years now for some royalties to be paid. My PRO enquires regularly at their foreign counterparts if they have collected the royalties, and when they will be paid. Rarely do they get an answer. Not much you can do about that.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sync fees - your stuff is likely under a blanket deal.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
Sync fees - your stuff is likely under a blanket deal.
Yup.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Get paid up front. Most of the libraries saying you'll get sync fees are doing deals no different to the libraries buying you out of sync fees.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
Get paid up front. Most of the libraries saying you'll get sync fees are doing deals no different to the libraries buying you out of sync fees.
yep my experience is you will know at time of placement if you will get any sync or not. i've had a good few placements around europe and they have been all back end only some better than others but sync is very rare as most are under a blanket deal.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymc View Post
yep my experience is you will know at time of placement if you will get any sync or not. i've had a good few placements around europe and they have been all back end only some better than others but sync is very rare as most are under a blanket deal.
All of the sync fees I have received this year have only been a few hundred dollars. I am looking for upfront money these days for deals where I am signing over the copyright.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for all the responses guys! I'm wondering if having one track used on 3 different weekly promos for the same show is indicative of a blanket deal. I'm well accustomed to royalties, and I know it'll be a loooong time before I see any from these particular placements since I'm with BMI, so I'm hoping to see sync fees some time before then. Hopefully if there is no fee, BMG will make sure the back end gets paid.

I also had one TV Spot/Promo for a Dutch sports documentary about a world champion darts player, which I'm hopeful for generating a sync fee. I hate this subpublisher business though. It feels like there are too many layers of communication between me and the license happening, so I have no idea how long it will take BMG to get any potential money to the original library, then eventually to me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search