The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Re MTV UK
Old 27th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Re MTV UK

Are there any US composers that have cues in MTV UK?

I have the same episode with the same cues running in the USA and UK at the same time, however I'm finding that BMI is paying me s**t for the UK episodes.

MTV USA happens to pay well IMO.
Old 27th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Scott View Post
Are there any US composers that have cues in MTV UK?

I have the same episode with the same cues running in the USA and UK at the same time, however I'm finding that BMI is paying me s**t for the UK episodes.

MTV USA happens to pay well IMO.
Hey Guys,

Just curious. Anyone else getting low BMI payments with MTV UK?

The same 20 sec cues that get me about 8-9 bucks a pop, on US MTV, are getting me under 1 dollar a Cue on MTV UK.
Old 27th June 2019
Gear Guru

Same quarter will take 9+ months to show up. That's the average, although it can take years for certain countries.
Old 27th June 2019
Lives for gear

MTV UK sucks for royalties from my experience. You're assuming that just because it's the same company it'd be the same. On the flip side, BBC1 primetime is really high here, whereas BBC America doesn't pay much.
Old 27th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Dr Bill,

It's an episode that's been repeated many times and I already got the foreign BMI payments that suck. What do I have to wait to catch up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Same quarter will take 9+ months to show up. That's the average, although it can take years for certain countries.
Old 27th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Interesting Amber,

Yeah, I guess one would think the same company would pay well, all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
MTV UK sucks for royalties from my experience. You're assuming that just because it's the same company it'd be the same. On the flip side, BBC1 primetime is really high here, whereas BBC America doesn't pay much.
Old 27th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Dr Bill,

It's an episode that's been repeated many times and I already got the foreign BMI payments that suck. What do I have to wait to catch up?
Sorry - misunderstood your question.
Old 27th June 2019
Quote:
Interesting Amber,

Yeah, I guess one would think the same company would pay well, all around.
The payment to the PRO and subsequently the payment from the PRO to the composer is all based on viewership ratings.

BBC1 in the UK gets WAAAAAAYYYY more viewers than BBC America does... conversely MTV US gets Waaaayyy more viewers than UK MTV does.

It's not about the network... it's not about the show. It's about how many eyes/ears are watching/listening when your music is aired... this is why time of day becomes a factor. There are more people viewing between 8pm and 11pm than there are between 2am and 5am. Likewise more people watch CBS than the NASA TV Channel... So the performance royalty payouts reflect that.
Old 28th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Hey Etch,

Yeah. I totally get what you're saying. It's all based on viewership but it's interesting how cues get paid almost the same amount, whether they are played at 8:00 pm or repeated at 2:30 am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
The payment to the PRO and subsequently the payment from the PRO to the composer is all based on viewership ratings.

BBC1 in the UK gets WAAAAAAYYYY more viewers than BBC America does... conversely MTV US gets Waaaayyy more viewers than UK MTV does.

It's not about the network... it's not about the show. It's about how many eyes/ears are watching/listening when your music is aired... this is why time of day becomes a factor. There are more people viewing between 8pm and 11pm than there are between 2am and 5am. Likewise more people watch CBS than the NASA TV Channel... So the performance royalty payouts reflect that.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search