The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Best Piano VST for scoring?
Old 24th June 2019
Here for the gear

Best Piano VST for scoring?

Been searching for eons for what might be the best vst for highly atmospheric scoring, soundtrack type simplicity in piano (think Zimmer).
Does anybody have any ideas?

Is NI Giant still considered to be one of the best?

Would really appreciate some input as I can't afford to sample the great variety of options - need to narrow it down here (I need to be able to work on my tracks without the Yamaha being in the room).
Old 24th June 2019
Gear Addict

Check out Midnight grand and Woodchester from Fracture sounds.

Emotional Piano from Soundiron is another good option.

Last edited by Arcana; 24th June 2019 at 11:05 AM..
Old 24th June 2019
Mrx
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
Check out Midnight grand and Woodchester from Fracture sounds.

Emotional Piano from Soundiron is another good option.
Midnight grand sounds great. Never heard of it before. Shame it requires full version of kontakt.
Old 24th June 2019
Gear Guru

There is no one "best" but the Emotional Piano or Ravenscroft both get used a lot here.
Old 24th June 2019
Gear Nut

Native Instruments' Una Corda is also great, and delivers a very peculiar tone thanks to its "soft pedal" technique. Also, it's already included in Komplete 12.
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faxxanadu View Post
Been searching for eons for what might be the best vst for highly atmospheric scoring, soundtrack type simplicity in piano (think Zimmer).
Dude - you are answering your own Q.

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a...-zimmer-piano/
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Addict

EW Pianos is great.
Old 3rd July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a...-zimmer-piano/
Nope. That was a commercial project that HZ actually didn’t manage (a good German fellow who is very versed in piano sampling managed the whole thing.) It was for the general public’s consumption. Don’t believe PR/adverts you see.
Old 3rd July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faxxanadu View Post
Does anybody have any ideas?
Probably 70%+ of what you hear when it wasn’t recorded is the Malmsjo piano sample library (not ArtVista’s). The exact library name isn’t coming to mind at the moment. Then the top velocity layers were removed from the sample mapping and the lower layers stretched up. That’s how the “softer” more ambient piano sound is/was created.

(Of course you can use the same technique with any piano library and it’s really easy to do in Kontakt)
Old 5th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Nope. That was a commercial project that HZ actually didn’t manage (a good German fellow who is very versed in piano sampling managed the whole thing.) It was for the general public’s consumption. Don’t believe PR/adverts you see.
???

Nope to what? No to it being a good VST for scoring? Sorry, not sure what you mean there.

And where did I say HZ managed it? I know he didn't; I already know it's all marketing.

The op asked for a Piano VST for scoring, and "soundtrack type simplicity in piano (think Zimmer)". So I pointed him to SF's HZ piano, the same way Arcana pointed him to the Midnight grand and Woodchester.
Old 5th July 2019
Lives for gear

You clearly implied that the question answered itself as this library was called the Hans Zimmer Piano. And it doesn’t.

As you wrote:
Quote:
Old 5th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
You clearly implied that the question answered itself as this library was called the Hans Zimmer Piano. And it doesn’t.

As you wrote:
Something must be getting lost in translation here. I am not going to make a big deal out of this, b/c it really isn't, but the OP asked for a good scoring piano, ala Zimmer, and I pointed him to the piano released by Spitfire Audio, called HZ Piano. Regardless of whether or not HZ himself had anything to do with the production of said piano lib, that is why the op answered the question himself.

Cheers.
Old 6th July 2019
Quote:
You clearly implied
No good deed goes unpunished.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

PianoTeq is just incredible. I plan to purchase the whole thing soon, but even with the demo version, the sound and the amount of pianos is top notch.

https://www.pianoteq.com/pianoteq6
Old 3 weeks ago
cqd
Gear Nut

The fluffy audio scoring piano is very nice, and on sale now..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search