The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Universal move from Ascap to Sesac
Old 23rd June 2019
Gear Nut

Universal move from Ascap to Sesac

This may have been discussed somewhere but I can't find it. In 2016 Universal moved their production music libraries from Ascap to Sesac.
Initially writers experienced a huge drop in their domestic royalties.. Sesac assured us that as they transferred our licenses from Ascap to Sesac that this would be remedied. Sesac's promise to writers is that they would be making 20% more in the long run.
That has definitely not been the case. Trying to get some consensus from Universal writers what their experience has been after the move.
Appreciate any feedback from writers who are in the Universal umbrella.

Thanks
Old 23rd June 2019
Mrx
Gear Addict

Haven't really analysed it in great detail but definitely haven't seen a drop. I'd say they're probably slightly better than they used to.
Old 23rd June 2019
Gear Nut

Thanks for the info... can I ask you which library you write for?
Old 23rd June 2019
Mrx
Gear Addict

I wrote some tracks for Universal some years ago.
Old 23rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scf2525 View Post
This may have been discussed somewhere but I can't find it. In 2016 Universal moved their production music libraries from Ascap to Sesac.
Initially writers experienced a huge drop in their domestic royalties.. Sesac assured us that as they transferred our licenses from Ascap to Sesac that this would be remedied. Sesac's promise to writers is that they would be making 20% more in the long run.
That has definitely not been the case. Trying to get some consensus from Universal writers what their experience has been after the move.
Appreciate any feedback from writers who are in the Universal umbrella.

Thanks
Hey, great question. I have to be careful what I say because I'm posting under my real name. I've been fortunate since most of my UPPM tracks are co-written with BMI writers. They've been gracious to share their statements with me so I can compare and contrast.

SESAC has been great about issuing payments for missing royalties. Your experience seems to be shared with many other writers I've spoken with.

My advice is to get a Tunesat account and load in all of your UPPM tracks, they'll even do a retroactive fingerprint run if you ask.Then compare the fingerprint results with your ASCAP/SESAC checks.

Hope that helps!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search