The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Top Music Library/Publishing companies for 2019?
Old 20th June 2019
  #31
Gear Head
 

Royalty day for BMI tomorrow. Will post my results after some analyzation.
Old 20th June 2019
  #32
Lives for gear
 
Amber's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
Yes, worldwide overall Universal is killing it. They are by far the top earner and most profitable worldwide.

As for extreme... most of the big names they have are just name only. Zimmer, Snoop, etc don't actually write for the catalog and really don't even hear any of the music that has their names on it. I know Quincy did the first couple albums for his catalog but that was it. Extreme paid them a bunch of money to use their name and likeness. Some of them already had a team of "writers" that worked for them, and so they were taking tracks from the writers to use in the libraries... But from what I heard it very rarely goes through the actual name artist.

But hey, it was a risky marketing strategy that worked. A lot of the music in the Extreme catalog is not that great. But there are a few gems in there that they really highlight... that in conjunction with the big names does exactly what they wanted marketing-wise... it brands the company as being the best. Go through and actually listen to a lot of the albums they have on their site though... you'll hear a few good ones interspersed around a lot of mediocre and not that great albums.
Funny, I've noticed similar about Extreme. I can't seem to get any contact with them via emai and have been listening a lot lately. I keep meaning to do a Fulford and call mind.

Their stuff is pretty hit or miss. I'm surprised considering how much they outlay per track.
Old 21st June 2019
  #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
I belong to socan up here in Canada.

I have never had anything submitted to these libraries....however....

Does the libraries in this thread deal with socan?

Would socan collect on behalf of Canadian writers?

Or do you need to belong to other PRO for these purposes?

It all seems blurry....and I can't find my glasses
You can a part of SOCAN and still write with these libraries. ASCAP and BMI have a deal worked out with SOCAN so either will collect the US royalties for SOCAN and then forward the payments over to them, who will in turn pay them to you.

here in the US you will be a listed as a SOCAN writer with various ASCAP and BMI publishers depending on the libraries you write for here in the US and who (if any) cowriters you have.
Old 21st June 2019
  #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by burst View Post
Just asked a board member and they say RF libraries aren't among membership but that the PMA is not policing the behaviors (gratis deals, etc) of library companies.

FWIW.

Apologies, got my RF and BS all mixed up in the brains.
Really??? They said that?!?! HAHAHA "Not policing" my A$$!!!!!! Unless that is a policy they just adopted a couple months ago, that is BS.
Old 21st June 2019
  #35
Gear Addict
 
burst's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
Funny, I've noticed similar about Extreme. I can't seem to get any contact with them via emai and have been listening a lot lately. I keep meaning to do a Fulford and call mind.

Their stuff is pretty hit or miss. I'm surprised considering how much they outlay per track.
When I partnered with Extreme (sold the other half to them 3 years later), it came as a result of me cold calling the head honcho there at the time. He picked up. I said "listen to our site... if you get it, we should talk... if not, I don't want to waste our time here." Almost verbatim. Three minute phone call.
Old 21st June 2019
  #36
Gear Addict
 
burst's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
Really??? They said that?!?! HAHAHA "Not policing" my A$$!!!!!! Unless that is a policy they just adopted a couple months ago, that is BS.
My understanding is that it is, indeed, a rather new policy.

I'm not commenting on the policy, to be clear. Just sharing info.
Old 21st June 2019
  #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by burst View Post
When I partnered with Extreme (sold the other half to them 3 years later), it came as a result of me cold calling the head honcho there at the time. He picked up. I said "listen to our site... if you get it, we should talk... if not, I don't want to waste our time here." Almost verbatim. Three minute phone call.
Yeah, my experience has been that Russell is a straight shooter when talking to him about music. From what I've noticed and been told it's harder to get directly to him now. He has 3 or 4 production people that act as his A&R and you have to go through them... they act as the gate keepers. So now you kind of have to run into Russell at an event and start chatting him up.
Old 21st June 2019
  #38
Lives for gear
 
Amber's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burst View Post
When I partnered with Extreme (sold the other half to them 3 years later), it came as a result of me cold calling the head honcho there at the time. He picked up. I said "listen to our site... if you get it, we should talk... if not, I don't want to waste our time here." Almost verbatim. Three minute phone call.
Sounds like a plan! He's a fellow Brit as well. (Assuming I'd get him on the phone!).

BTW, just realised who you are, big fan of the gear porn on your Insta. Think we've conversed a few times. I'm picking up a Big Trees come PRS day.
Old 21st June 2019
  #39
Quote:
Originally Posted by burst View Post
My understanding is that it is, indeed, a rather new policy.

I'm not commenting on the policy, to be clear. Just sharing info.
Interesting...
Old 21st June 2019
  #40
Gear Addict
 
burst's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
Sounds like a plan! He's a fellow Brit as well. (Assuming I'd get him on the phone!).

BTW, just realised who you are, big fan of the gear porn on your Insta. Think we've conversed a few times. I'm picking up a Big Trees come PRS day.
DUDE. The Trees. Sooooo good. Also please don't tell anyone else.
Old 21st June 2019
  #41
Lives for gear
 
brockorama's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
You can a part of SOCAN and still write with these libraries. ASCAP and BMI have a deal worked out with SOCAN so either will collect the US royalties for SOCAN and then forward the payments over to them, who will in turn pay them to you.

here in the US you will be a listed as a SOCAN writer with various ASCAP and BMI publishers depending on the libraries you write for here in the US and who (if any) cowriters you have.
Thank you very much
Old 21st June 2019
  #42
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
That's good to hear! Did you contact them directly to start writing for them?
Yes I did, and apparently at the right time.
Old 21st June 2019
  #43
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkeys View Post
Yes I did, and apparently at the right time.
That's really great! So did you just write to their email address?!
Old 22nd June 2019
  #44
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
That's really great! So did you just write to their email address?!
Basically yes. Check if they have instructions for music submissions, and if they do follow them to a t.
Old 24th June 2019
  #45
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkeys View Post
Can't speak for the other libraries, but I have two albums with Warner Chappell here in Europe, and they are getting nice placements in tv and adverts. They are very quick at releasing albums. Placements started soon after publication and apart from a few small breaks have been constant since. The tracks have been used on tv especially often in Germany, Australia, and Japan. For me it has been very nice and rewarding all around working with WC.
Can you share with me some contact info? I would love to submit my work for their consideration but they don't accept submissions publicly, at least not thru their website.
Old 25th June 2019
  #46
Quote:
Originally Posted by danderian View Post
Can you share with me some contact info? I would love to submit my work for their consideration but they don't accept submissions publicly, at least not thru their website.
You can submit to Warner Chappell directly.

Go to the “COMPOSER SUBMISSIONS” section near the bottom of the webpage:

https://www.warnerchappellpm.com/contact-us/
Old 25th June 2019
  #47
Gear Head
 

You can submit to WCPM but you'll have to compete with me doesn't bode well for ya
Old 25th June 2019
  #48
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngrichyrich View Post
You can submit to WCPM but you'll have to compete with me doesn't bode well for ya
I’m up for the challenge!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump