The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Music needed for tiny video company
Old 17th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
I am going to cry integrity here.
I agree. A couple of competitors got kicked off of Twitter for fake profiles.
Old 17th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
I’ll do it as long as I retain ownership and get all songwriters and publishing royalties. I need to also be able to monetize the videos if they hit YouTube.
YouTube changed. They no longer count "views" but minutes watched. That's because of fake views.

YouTube also allows downloads now.
Old 17th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngrichyrich View Post
U mad no one wants to work on your student project?

Get your money up and pony it up or get garbage music - your choice. Can't have your cake and eat it too.
I prefer devils food cake with cream cheese frosting. It's delicious!
Old 17th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwriterdude View Post
The music videos are for my enjoyment and I help other people get their name out there. It's more than was done for me when I started out.
Great!

...In that case, why don't you do a free video for ME?

I won't pay you, but you'll get "global recognition" ('cause I got a Facebook page)!

Of course, I'll retain ownership of all the work you do, because I'll be giving you all that wonderful exposure!
...On a more serious note: I HAVE occasionally worked "on spec", but the last time I actually worked "for free" was mixing FOH for a benefit concert to help pay medical bills for a very ill friend. (...And considered it an honor to do so.)

What is being offered here is more akin to "panhandling" than it is to some sort of opportunity (for anyone other than the person making the offer).

I certainly wouldn't call this offer a "fraud", but my prediction is that whatever music is acquired by this offer will be worth about what is paid.
YMMV
Old 17th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
I get your point. Yeah, used to live in LA. Most of my my life actually.

There are a million crappy fast food joints in LA. Still doesn't make me want to go to them when I want to go out and eat. I'd rather hit President Thai in Pasadena or my favorite Brazilian BBQ, or a multitude of other moderate to expensive classy joints.
Firstly: HOLY SMOKES, DrBill, I just had President Thai last week while staying with friends and Altadena and that place is smashing! The Pad Kee Mao was on point.

Secondly: another plug here for still getting paid while starting at the bottom. If you take actions that avoid devaluing yourself and your own work, you also help to prevent the rest of us being devalued. Thanks to everyone saying no to doing commercial work for free.

Thirdly: I think it merits mentioning the difference between projects and collaborations that are purely creative and artistic in nature vs. projects that are commercial in nature. I have nothing against genuinely artistic creative collaborations being done for free. I'll contribute to my friends' "for the fun/art of it" projects and they'll contribute to mine. They pay dividends in countless other ways. Works that are being used commercially, however, should never be done for free, even if there's a healthy amount of "art" mixed in with the "craft." If a small company has a small budget, very understandable! But small budget is not no budget. Music has value, even though it's often treated otherwise.
Old 17th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually, I'm famous in another realm of creativity. The music videos are for my enjoyment
Your circle should be wide enough to attract someone to do your project for free.
Old 18th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
Your circle should be wide enough to attract someone to do your project for free.
I'm the publicist for a hall of fame songwriter, but he's got cancer these days. And I've used his company's music all I can.

I'm currently using royalty free instrumental tunes now.

Research indicates that the next one will be about my state's cancer rate's in the Midwest. 85% including me.
Old 18th June 2019
Here comes the c-word...
Old 18th June 2019
Gear Addict
https://library.creativecow.net/arti...rinders&page=1

To be fair we don't know what the budget is and how much he will make from it. Sounds like its for a charity?

Even so have a look at the article I linked. Maybe if you do it for no money you could grind them back a bit to get a free video.
Old 18th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm the publicist for a hall of fame songwriter, but he's got cancer these days.
That is very unfortunate news.

Do you mind me asking what state?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
That is very unfortunate news.

Do you mind me asking what state?
Missouri.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Our company is small. There is no pay, but you will get global recognition. Many opportunities for great and small to hear your music.

Many people throughout the world are uneducated and illiterate by design.

It's time that things were passively changed.
i need video for my music reel. there is no pay, BYK...
Old 3 weeks ago
Does anyone involved in the project get paid?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If you want things for free, you don't have a company. You have a charity.
Pathetic.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You know what, everyone is free to set their own terms on what they want or why they do things. It is a tricky position to be in when you're looking for someone interested in the project who will just do it on their own time though. Everyone's own time is different.

I truly believe that everyone here started making music simply because they love it. Did it for fun, for a sense of accomplishment, trying to become their heroes. If you've turned your passion into a business, that's great for you! Just don't forget where you came from and never loose the feeling and passion that got you into it in the first place. Remember when you first learned power chords? Or really got your head around subtractive EQ? Those were exciting times for me and I really didn't equate those moments with money in any way. I managed to get payed work luckily and really appreciated those opportunities to do what I love all day while being able to afford a pint afterwards.

I stopped engineering professionally because I was making a lot of music I didn't really care about and had no energy left to create my own work on my own terms. Now I can take projects here and there that really interest me or are for good friends and really keep me hyped up on the actual product.

Personally, I've shifted to a position where I can take opportunities that interest me, solely for that reason. To each, their own.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think it's the composer's responsibility to assess the success of the video/film his or her music will be used in. If the track record of the production company is not fruitful... pass. If they crank out some quality stuff... I'd do it for nothing.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Work for free - get treated (mis-treated?) like an amateur.
Demand to be treated / paid fairly - get treated like a professional.

I've seen it happen dozens if not hundreds of times over the years. Sometimes with the same people going either direction. It's amazing how consistent the outcomes are.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This has been covered before, but is worth repeating:

https://youtu.be/ULfpBcQzKhc?t=22

If you cant get paid in physical dollars, get paid in something. No reason why someone hiring you to do a job can't buy you a piece of gear. One that you can either use on other gigs, or turn around and sell.

Cheers.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
This has been covered before, but is worth repeating:

https://youtu.be/ULfpBcQzKhc?t=22

If you cant get paid in physical dollars, get paid in something. No reason why someone hiring you to do a job can't buy you a piece of gear. One that you can either use on other gigs, or turn around and sell.

Cheers.
Yes Jeff!! Thanks for posting that again.

I don't care what you get, but get something. Even if they come over and trim bushes or mow your lawn. If they can't be that "humiliated", then why humiliate yourself by working for free. Tony lays it out pretty succinctly.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
If they can't be that "humiliated", then why humiliate yourself by working for free.
Oooh - good one!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yep, the important distinction is to understand when you are working and when you are playing.

If a friend wants to record a solo acoustic song for their partners B-Day, sure! That sounds like a good excuse to fire up the rig and have a couple of beers.

If it's a music session you see as being a chore, make a trade.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Just gonna leave this here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27EukoQrVMU
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
Just gonna leave this here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27EukoQrVMU
... and most of my friends have toilets...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I started at the bottom too. But I've never worked for free. Well LAST week a friend was doing a video - actually she's a music consultant or sometihng for a film company. She asked if she could use my music. No money. I said yes, but that's because she's a good friend and I know her credentials - which are very good - and I know she'd never rip me off. But that's a first after many, many decades in the music industry.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry123 View Post
Yep, the important distinction is to understand when you are working and when you are playing.

If a friend wants to record a solo acoustic song for their partners B-Day, sure! That sounds like a good excuse to fire up the rig and have a couple of beers.

If it's a music session you see as being a chore, make a trade.
lol...that's about all i do these days.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Just to play devils advocate here:

I am surprised that many of you guys who write full time aren’t using an army of low paid ghostwriters to boost your catalogs.

Well not really that surprised, since you all seem to have that little quirk called “integrity”.

But I am sure other experienced composers with less scruples are leaning on poor, skilled, and hungry younger talent to do the heavy lifting to bulk up their catalogs.

Anyway, music is war, and war is hell.
I would like to think I have a “sound” or approach that people can notice whether it’s production music, ad, score, or trailer. I’d hate to be forced into a position where using ghostwriters was almost a necessity to keep up.

Having said that, I ghost wrote for a ghost writer once ... and I’m not kidding. Was happy to do it but yeah when you’re in it thick, sometimes you need all the help you can get!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search