The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Is it normal to have 1 week with a final edit to score a 90 minute film?
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

Is it normal to have 1 week with a final edit to score a 90 minute film?

Is it normal to have 1 week with a final edit to score a 90 minute film? I had a composer working here and was shocked that they sent the final edit then suddenly said it had to be done in a week. It had been going on for 6 months before this.
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

Yes. Sometimes you never see the final edit on some features -- music editor takes care of it on the dub stage. And I'm talking 120 min and 180 min major features have done this.

If you are waiting for locked picture before working, you'll be way, way too late. Have to get it 95% to 100% done with unlocked picture (especially if scoring orchestra) and then prepare to edit to fit. Good communication with the picture editor (by the composer or music editor) is key to find out what that state of the picture is: what scenes are locked down, what scenes are still in limbo (and why), and which scenes will have minor changes coming -- picture editors often don't get that a few frames of change can cause a whole re-work of a cue. And then you work on the sections most locked down and prepare yourself for what could happen with the in-limbo scenes.

If you're a big enough composer, you can work the delivery date of final picture to you into your contract for a "rush job" fee. I work with a few composers who have that established with their agents.
Old 11th May 2019
Gear Guru

I wouldn't say that it's "normal", but it's far from being "abnormal" either. Every project is different and has it's challenges, but as pentagon said, if you haven't been writing, re-writing, re-re-writing, and re-re-re-re-rewriting along the way, you will get killed at the end. Some projects essentially NEVER get locked. I suppose until print mastering....
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

Agreed with above...nothing is really locked until its released, in my experience... Definitely need to start long before that, and edit as needed.

Film I "finished" earlier this month I got a new edit and a couple weeks notice to "finalize," which was still a lot of work in short time (for someone who doesn't work as a composer full time) but I had been working quite a bit already so was just down to "finessing" things for the most part.
Old 12th May 2019
Gear Addict

I don't know how you guys do it, you have my respect!
Old 1st June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic audio View Post
I don't know how you guys do it, you have my respect!
That deadline can sound scary when you hear it, but once you get into it things do seem to fall into place. You just find a way.

And you may always feel that you had to cut corners, and that might even piss you off when you watch the film, sticking out like a sore toe, but you'll probably be the only one who notices.
Old 1st June 2019

Last edited by buzzlegs; 1st June 2019 at 05:03 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search