The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How many of you are making a living from library music?
Old 14th May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwright View Post
Usually between $1,200 and $2,000 per month, depending on the time of year.
Is this only from pond5 sales? So, no royalties included?
Old 14th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiussound View Post
Is this only from pond5 sales? So, no royalties included?
Yes, Pond5 only, no other libraries or PRO payments.
Old 19th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckadactyl View Post
Here's a very useful article that covers most of the bases (4 parts I think): https://www.soundonsound.com/music-b...y-music-part-1. This is written by Dan Graham who runs a label/trailer company called Gothic Storm, among a few others I think.
Just wanted to point out that Dan Graham wrote a book compiling his great soundonsound articles plus extra interviews and insight. It's a very good ressource and a great read: https://librarymusicbook.com/
Old 19th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by lornemalvo View Post
600-800 tracks this year is amazing. I admire your output!!
Making the tracks is the easy part for me. Its the never-ending metadata that irritates me. I hope to someday make enough so that I can pay someone else to do that part.
Old 19th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbinax View Post
Making the tracks is the easy part for me. Its the never-ending metadata that irritates me. I hope to someday make enough so that I can pay someone else to do that part.
https://tagteamanalysis.com

They are great and aren't as expensive as you might think! Also if you do it in bulk it is cheaper (instead of sending in one track or one album at a time... queue up a few and send them in all at once).
Old 15th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwright View Post
Yes, Pond5 only, no other libraries or PRO payments.
hi

how crucial would you say it is to constantly renew/upload new stuff to pond5 (but applies to any RF library really)?

I´ve seen differing opinios here on GS, some say if they dont upload new stuff the sales go drsatically down, other say they make most out of few old top sellers anyway....

Old 15th July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzop View Post
hi

how crucial would you say it is to constantly renew/upload new stuff to pond5 (but applies to any RF library really)?

I´ve seen differing opinios here on GS, some say if they dont upload new stuff the sales go drsatically down, other say they make most out of few old top sellers anyway....

It tends to vary from library to library. Some of them definitely benefit from uploading fresh music. These are the ones that tend to have 'latest music' lists prominent on their pages.

That said, with Pond5 I've gone up to 3 months at a time without uploading anything new, and haven't seen a noticeable change in sales either way.

The genre of music probably makes a difference too, some genres date more quickly than others.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search