The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Surround Sound Speakers/Setup
Old 30th April 2019
Here for the gear

Surround Sound Speakers/Setup

Hello,

Apologies if this is not in the right location.

I have recently been asked for a friend to mix the audio for a friends audio/visual art project. The project relies heavily on spatial cues, so we are looking into different surround sound speakers, but I am a little overwhelmed doing so...

Do you have any suggestions for a set of speakers for this purpose? We don't want to break the bank--Range probably under $300?

My other question was in terms of mixing:
Is it ok to have it be mixed using a binaural pan? or would it be better to use real surround? Part of the issue is the audio is already recorded in mono using one mic?

Thanks in advance for your time and responses!
Old 1st May 2019
Lives for gear

Speakers for control room or art space ?
I don’t believe $300 gets you a Bass Management Controller
Doubt there’s much usable that costs less than a LSR305...but that budget gets you a pair
Old 1st May 2019
Here for the gear

Not for mixing, for the actual space. looking for the surround speakers, not monitors
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

How will you be supplying the program material ?
Most home theater systems strip the audio out of a HDMI...decode it and output to speakers. Highly doubt you will be encoding your mix
Old 2nd May 2019
Gear Head
How many channels? Is it a film, or is there more to it? Interactive? Dynamic? Art projects aren't constrained by the same conventions as normal film exhibitions.

If it's a one-off performance, can you rent a system (board feeding multiple channels through auxs+mains, powered speakers, multichannel audio interface)? If it's site-specific, I'd consider mixing in the space, if possible. That's what worked for me for surround performances in spaces without an installed system. The sound design was performed and diffused using Max, and mixed in realtime.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search