The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Using midi files from sample packs?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Using midi files from sample packs?

Hey All,

You see more often that they add midi files of the samples and or sample combinations in the samples packs.

I wondering what are the rules about using midi files from royalty free sample packs?

Are there any?

(I know making your own is the best to stay clear ;-) )

Thanks for your thoughts an knowledge :-)

Glenn
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

It depends on the sample pack. The only way to know is to read all the terms and conditions related to the sample pack in question.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post
It depends on the sample pack. The only way to know is to read all the terms and conditions related to the sample pack in question.
I know in most cases you can not use them to sold as midi files again. But there free for use in production music.

Are you in the clear when used with you own sounds/synths?
I know with samples you can use them when you layer a few other samples on top of them.

For example: when i use a set of midi files (leadsound an chord progression) and another producer does the same with his own sounds can we expect to get a library/youtube copyright problem?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt9 View Post
I know in most cases you can not use them to sold as midi files again. But there free for use in production music.
I'm not sure but I guess it depends on the licensing agreement, as MIDI files are IMO to be considered a musical composition.

Quote:
Are you in the clear when used with you own sounds/synths?
Not really, as when you register a work you can register the scores, the sound used doesn't really matter.

Quote:
I know with samples you can use them when you layer a few other samples on top of them.
That's not a correct information. The fact you layered a sample with other samples may make that original sample unrecognizable, but that doesn't make its use legal. You need a license to use a recorded sound wich may or may not be provided with a sample pack.

Quote:
For example: when i use a set of midi files (leadsound an chord progression) and another producer does the same with his own sounds can we expect to get a library/youtube copyright problem?
I can't exclude a copyright problem. That depends on the composition and my guess is not even a lawyer can give you a straight answer on that.

You may find this short thread interesting: How "Safe" are sample CD Packs?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'm not sure but I guess it depends on the licensing agreement, as MIDI files are IMO to be considered a musical composition.

Not really, as when you register a work you can register the scores, the sound used doesn't really matter.

That's not a correct information. The fact you layered a sample with other samples may make that original sample unrecognizable, but that doesn't make its use legal. You need a license to use a recorded sound wich may or may not be provided with a sample pack.

I can't exclude a copyright problem. That depends on the composition and my guess is not even a lawyer can give you a straight answer on that.

You may find this short thread interesting: How "Safe" are sample CD Packs?
Thank you for your detailed answer!

I see! It is complicated ... just as with samples. :-(

I guess it is best to change the midi's and make them your own.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you for your detailed answer!

I see! It is complicated ... just as with samples. :-(

I guess it is best to change the midi's and make them your own.
It's very complicated and not clear. I wouldn't worry about using a simple I–V–vi–IV chord progression and a simple lead, but if that progression has been taken from a commercial song, has some characteristic embellishments and on top of it you put the lead of that song, then you could have some problems. Still, that may depend on the complexity of that lead and on the "closeness" of your work to the original work. On the other hand, if the company selling you the samples stated that you can use them commercially in your productions, all responsibilities would fall on them (at least morally, as with lawyers you never know )
It's an extremely complicated argument.
I don't want to scare you, that's not my intention at all, I just wanted to tell you how complicated things are.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
It's very complicated and not clear. I wouldn't worry about using a simple I–V–vi–IV chord progression and a simple lead, but if that progression has been taken from a commercial song, has some characteristic embellishments and on top of it you put the lead of that song, then you could have some problems. Still, that may depend on the complexity of that lead and on the "closeness" of your work to the original work. On the other hand, if the company selling you the samples stated that you can use them commercially in your productions, all responsibilities would fall on them (at least morally, as with lawyers you never know )
It's an extremely complicated argument.
I don't want to scare you, that's not my intention at all, I just wanted to tell you how complicated things are.
I get you! And I am aware of the hazy 'rules'

The midi's and samples are clear to use, that is not the problem.
It is more the production music side of it. Will youtube for example detect if I use the same midi's as another produced also used them in production music?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Will youtube for example detect if I use the same midi's as another produced also used them in production music?
No, I don't think so. Also, if youtube had such an algorithm, I would like to know what percentage of today's popular music is using musical phrases that have already been used by classical composers..... Probably they would have to take down the vast majority of today's music productions
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
No, I don't think so. Also, if youtube had such an algorithm, I would like to know what percentage of today's popular music is using musical phrases that have already been used by classical composers..... Probably they would have to take down the vast majority of today's music productions
Agreed on that one! Thanks :-)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search