The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixing as you Produce ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Mixing as you Produce ?

Hey composers so i'd like to know others workflow

Are you mixing as you produce or splitting the session in 2 to mix your tracks from a blank slate!

I've been doing the latter but i find it a lil time consuming so may just try the approach of mix as i go along for time management reasons.

Whats your take ?
Old 4 weeks ago
I tend to mix as I go, because I find it hard to work with "raw" sounds the whole tune. I really wish I could just do the damn track and just concentrate into structure and the melody, but also saving some resources in that point not having all the compressors etc. in the mix channels.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I'm splitting the "mixing" term into two stages:

1. Sound design mixing - where I'm mixing while working on the track to achieve the sound that I want to achieve for particular stems, instruments, sounds etc. On that stage I'm close to final mix in the meaning of balance, volume, panning, but it's still rough.
2. True Mixing - Everything from above exported to audio files and then mixed as I'm mixing a song from someone else.

I found that the amount of work that I put into stage 1 makes it less time consuming in stage 2, but there's no rule what I'm doing in first stage, what in second, what YES, what NO. It's my nautral workflow, so I'm not even thinking about it, it's just like "Okay, music is done, time to work on audio files."

But of course sometimes working on music goes so well and easy, that I'm closing it all in one stage. As always - it depends
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Almost always, I have a template (or create a template) where the instrument tracks are bussed directly into their associated audio tracks. Audio tracks are at unity gain, and are placed on "input". Then those audio tracks are bussed outside the DAW to my 2 Bus analog chain, and returned into my "analog mix" track which is also on "input". If delay's, reverb, EQ, compression or any other "effect" needs to be added while writing, it's done on the audio tracks so that they are ready to go when I proceed to mixing.

General levels, etc. are set on my instrument tracks so that the audio tracks are essentially a "balanced mix" @ unity before I even start mixing. Then I'll digitize all the instrument tracks in real time in ONE pass by arming the audio tracks and recording. Then, I'll make the instrument tracks "inactive" and hide them - leaving only the audio tracks. I'll then mix the audio tracks and print the mix buss. Done. Simple, streamlined, and I'm essentially always mixing from note one. By the time I actually get to mixing, I'm already halfway done.

BTW, this is on tracks that are VSTi mostly. When real instrumentation gets involved (often for me) things get more disorganized and chaotic.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

As I go. I can't work with raw sounds, ideas just don't come up. I can't think of a new melody or new chord progression if I feel like the tambourine is too bright. I try to do it quickly though, I do broad moves and when the track is done, "mixing" is just fine tuning what I already have.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I am in the process of learning to mix now (just my own music, I like electro and Hip Hop), and I try new things with each track, trying to discover a workflow. I've been moving in the direction of jamming out a bunch of parts for bass, harmony (pad), drums and percussion, leads, and sound effects, and I usually start mixing by high and low-pass filtering any tracks that need it (almost all tracks tbh), then I do an initial level setting, and then I mix the bass and kick drum (checking how they sound with all the other tracks in periodically), and I do the arrangement after that, and then I mix the kick and bass again before tackling the other tracks, and then it's on to just a tad more arrangement - fun with automation lanes and creating interesting transitions that are built from sounds from many different places in the arrangement. I try my best to make quick, intuitive, and musical decisions.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I tend to mix while I produce. In the moment it’s all about the feeling, so I capture that feeling right then, vs trying to recapture it later. It saves time when the files are bounced to individual files already mixed to open in my DAW for the final touches. I work in Reason, and while Reason has more than enough tools to accomplish a full mix in the box, I like my DAWS workflow as it has capabilities Reason doesn’t.
Old 2 weeks ago

Most of my clients are mixing as they go - they then send me the whole session to finesse for cinema etc. Mixing is part of the recording and production process these days.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think we're all mixing as we go to some degree, otherwise how can we tell that the composition is precisely where it needs to be. John Williams and Mozart heard finished products in their heads, more or less, as they were constructing them so they could tell where a piece needed support, but that sound in their head was a proper version -- or proper mix -- of each instrument, and of each section, and of the orchestra as a whole, but that final sound doesn't tend to formulate perfectly when you're composing in smaller steps using MIDI. And remember that one of the primary jobs of a conductor is to mix on-the-fly.

Volumes and frequencies clash often, and if we're not cognizant of it we might think the clashes are due to the arrangement whereas it could just need some sonic crafting. So we're sculpting those things, to some degree, as the composition fills outs. Same with reverbs -- it's important to approximate the spaces.

I try to get things sounding close toward the end of the composing steps, but even during the "mix stage" I often change the composition when elements don't sound ideal. This is preferred when, for instance, a string section is cloudy and stepping on a melody. We could eq the strings to make room, or I could rearrange a little to make room. The latter is often the best approach, but not always. The composition, arrangement and mix should all go compliment each other seamlessly, and I think that's why it's important to keep all of it in mind throughout the process.

Technically, we mix within the same session where the piece was written, and we don't often use group busses (splits). We did for many years, but we've been happier with the outcome when we didn't treat each section separately, instead thinking of the whole enchilada as one piece, even from a mix perspective. YMMV.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

always mixing till its sounds perfect
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Mix as I go.

Helps if you have a good template already set up and balanced.

Last edited by Jeff Hayat; 1 week ago at 01:25 AM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search