The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitar VI Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Guitar VI

I was wondering if anyone here use guitar virtual instruments and if yes, how realistic do they actually sound?

I never really considered them before because I always felt a guitar should be played and preferably through an amp at 11 but listening to a few demos I thought they came quite close to the real thing.

Any experiences?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

I wouldn't use them on a Blues or Country track, but in the background on a Pop or RnB track they are perfectly fine.

I like Acousticsamples Sunbird and Strategy for strumming and any of the Orangetree samples ones for lead.

This demo by AmpleSound is one of the most realistic I've heard.

AGM-Rylynn by AmpleSound | Ample Sound | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrx View Post
I always felt a guitar should be played and preferably through an amp at 11

ISW has some nice offerings... I think they are called "shreddage". There is another lib... by a Japanese dev, I think... don't recall what the name is.

Basically, guitar VIs are like any other VI: you have to know what the instrument can and can't do, and to be able to manipulate the MIDI to get the samples to sound somewhat realistic. It will never be 100%, but you can get something believable if you try hard enough. Then again, you can say that with almost anything.

Cheers.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

There has to be a sample library that goes to 11 surely

Will have a look at shreddage. Sometimes a plugin is just easier than getting an amp out, plug it in, get entangled in leads etc etc.
Like the sunbird demos. The thing I do notice is that while they're very close to the real thing they are dead in terms of vibe/feel. I guess that's why they sometimes
work better in a track.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Another component of this is how the VI is actually played.

There are some great examples on YT of how to play different sample sets on a keyboard so they sound closer to the actual instrument.

Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Spitfire's PEEL guitar is pretty cool. And I think it's now free, as part of their (reintroduced) LABS stuff?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrx View Post
There has to be a sample library that goes to 11 surely

Will have a look at shreddage. Sometimes a plugin is just easier than getting an amp out, plug it in, get entangled in leads etc etc.
Like the sunbird demos. The thing I do notice is that while they're very close to the real thing they are dead in terms of vibe/feel. I guess that's why they sometimes
work better in a track.
There's actually a free version of Shreddage 3 now. Check it out - it might be all you need.

The japanese dev Jeff mentioned is Prominy. I don't have experience with their plugins but I've heard they are quite complicated to use.

Yes, Sunbird is not the most vibey acoustic guitar, but it's very easy to strum it.
I find a lot of the guitar VI's sounds good overall - like Orangetree for example, but getting a realistic strumming out of them is very difficult.
I much prefer using a key for downstrums and one for upstrums and Sunbird does that with ease.
Doing that using Orangetree produces unrealistic results.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Free stuff! This is great, will try both Peel and Shreddage.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search