The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ennio Morricone talks about film-makers
Old 24th February 2019
Lives for gear

Ennio Morricone talks about film-makers

Some interesting insights:

Ennio Morricone settles old scores with ‘simplistic’ directors | Music | The Guardian

'The composer remembers that his fellow Italian Franco Zeffirelli asked for music “devoid of themes, a music of moods and atmospheres”, but “when the music was ready … said, ‘You didn’t write any themes.’”'
Old 24th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark View Post
'The composer remembers that his fellow Italian Franco Zeffirelli asked for music “devoid of themes, a music of moods and atmospheres”, but “when the music was ready … said, ‘You didn’t write any themes.’”'
Yep - this sort of thing does not only happen to young and less experienced composers; it happens to everyone.
Old 1 week ago
"... a rather simplistic standardisation of stylistic choices has made film music less interesting over the years, in terms of both conceptual depth and compositional methods.”
----------------
That is probably self evident to a lot of us. I was just listening to Miklos Rosza's great Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid score again the other day and comparing it with various Netflix items I was binging off and on. There is no doubt that audiences have been trained that certain instrumentation/styles = certain emotions these days, so little variety I hear in newer productions.
Old 1 week ago
Kind of underhanded to throw other people under the bus like that.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I was kind of with Ennio until he got to the point of Star Wars. I actually think the music fits the (original) movies extremely well and I think "commercial" is a bit harsh the way he implies it. The Imperial March to me signified a military force, a menace to the world really, rather than evoke an environmental 'disconnect'. I just don't see how one can be bothered by a march being played while seeing images of space when it's really about an evil military threat.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search