The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Locking Picture/Audio track Logic X
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Locking Picture/Audio track Logic X

Im working on a score for a documentary in Logic X. I’ve followed all the instructions about locking the picture and dialogue audio track and even have the little lock icon locked.

When I change the BPM from scene to scene both the picture and the dialogue audio track shift.

Wondering what I’m doing wrong...I need both the picture and audio track to stay in place while I adjust the BPM of the scene.

Can anyone help with this?

Last edited by sirdss; 4 weeks ago at 03:18 AM.. Reason: Auto incorrect
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdss View Post
I’ve followed all the instructions about loving the picture and dialogue audio track and even have the little lock icon locked.
Well, glad to hear you love the film you are working on!

In Cubase, you can toggle the Timebase between musical and linear. I assume Logic has something that is similar, if not identical? See what timebase you are in now, and toggle to the (an)other.

Cheers.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Well, glad to hear you love the film you are working on!

In Cubase, you can toggle the Timebase between musical and linear. I assume Logic has something that is similar, if not identical? See what timebase you are in now, and toggle to the (an)other.

Cheers.
Oops...haha yeah I’ll fix that but I do love the film...not sure about timebase...maybe a different word in Logic?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdss View Post
Im working on a score for a documentary in Logic X. I’ve followed all the instructions about locking the picture and dialogue audio track and even have the little lock icon locked.

When I change the BPM from scene to scene both the picture and the dialogue audio track shift.

Wondering what I’m doing wrong...I need both the picture and audio track to stay in place while I adjust the BPM of the scene.

Can anyone help with this?
Well, when you change the BPM the picture and dialog shift relative to the tempo-based ruler - as they should. The picture and dialog are not moving around in time, only the relationship of hours+minutes+seconds (time) to bars+beats (tempo) is changing when you change the BPM.

So that's as it should be - unless something else weird is going on - but I think it is as I'm describing and it just looks weird to see things move around when you change BPM. If you had any other regions that are SMPTE-locked, they would also appear to be moving around relative to bars+beats when you change BPM, because they're locked to a specific point in time, and when you change BPM that changes what bar number you'll be at when a given point in time arrives.

If you want to see a time ruler at the top of the timeline in addition to the normal bars+beats ruler, click on the View menu at the top of the Main Window and enable Secondary Ruler.

If you want to see hours+minutes+seconds in the counter instead of or in addition to bars+beats, you can either click on the little gear icon and select Beats & Time, or control-click in the grey background next to the counter and select Customize Control Bar & Display, and in the resulting pop-up you can enable a wide variety of options related to what the Control Bar will display.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieclouser View Post
Well, when you change the BPM the picture and dialog shift relative to the tempo-based ruler - as they should. The picture and dialog are not moving around in time, only the relationship of hours+minutes+seconds (time) to bars+beats (tempo) is changing when you change the BPM.
Cubase behaves this way - but you ALSO have the option of not having the picture and dialog shift relative to the tempo-based ruler; ie, in linear mode, the picture and dialog do not shift with the tempo; they stay in the same position relative to time.

Does Logic not have this?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Cubase behaves this way - but you ALSO have the option of not having the picture and dialog shift relative to the tempo-based ruler; ie, in linear mode, the picture and dialog do not shift with the tempo; they stay in the same position relative to time.

Does Logic not have this?
There must be a communication breakdown - what I was trying to describe is the fact that picture, dialog, and any other locked events events do not shift in time when BPM changes - they stay locked in the same absolute positions in time.

It only looks like they move when you change tempo and thus there are more/fewer seconds per bar, so what's actually happening is that the bars+beats ruler is shrinking or expanding relative to time while the locked event's positions and sizes remain the same.

So you can mess around with tempo and the music (and the bars+beats ruler) will speed up or slow down (shrink or expand) relative to absolute time - as expected.

I think OP was confused by the visual effect of seeing a locked event that was at bar 223 look like it moved to bar 276 or whatever when tempo was changed, when actually it remained at the same point in time - but that point in time now occurs at a different bar number when the tempo is changed.

So, yes, Logic has this, and by default any imported movie and its extracted audio tracks are automatically locked on import so that everything works as it should - those events stay locked at an absolute time while you muck about with tempo maps - but those events, and also any other event, including markers, regions, all the way down to a single MIDI note or CC event can be locked or unlocked at will.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search