The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
COMPOSERS: DO NOT USE SPLICE [Public Service Announcement] Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 16th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrenebbage View Post
Yep. If Etch were correct about Splice he'd have every reason to sound the alarm.

I've read a bunch of EULAs over the past few days : ) 'Derivative' is used in more than one context by a bunch of companies and it's super confusing, especially when you have an eagle eye like Etch. Attorneys would be wise to find a substitute for the term derivative except as it applies to copyright.

Yes. As I noted earlier, "derivative work" has both a common meaning and a specific legal meaning in copyright law. Apparently they are using it in its common meaning, but this is a bit of minefield.

The phrase " original work incorporating splice sounds" might be better.
Old 16th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk martin View Post
Yes. As I noted earlier, "derivative work" has both a common meaning and a specific legal meaning in copyright law. Apparently they are using it in its common meaning, but this is a bit of minefield. .
I was not aware that 'derivative work' has a common meaning that is not attributed directly to the law.

Even if so, it is up to Splice to specify, and be more specific.

Cheers.
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
Hi Everyone,

This issue just came up with me and so I figured I'd share with everyone.

If you are writing music for use in Film/TV licensing or for any sort of work-for-hire agreements... DO NOT USE SPLICE.

When asking splice about using their loops/samples in musical compositions, they wrote back and said:

A DERIVATIVE WORK!!! SPLICE IS NOT BUYOUT!!!! Anything you create using splice content, splice still owns and you have to negotiate a percentage split with them and include them as co-composers on any deals you do.

Just to be clear for everyone...

Anyway... I remember seeing a thread a little while ago about some people starting to try out and use Splice. Just letting you know it is a very bad idea for anything you are going to try and sell or license commercially.

Cheers!

I looked at their website and quite frankly, I don't quite understand what they are offering:

- a sample library?
- loops?
- a website where you can collaborate with other people, similar to Avid Connect or whatever it's called? (or the PT proprietary thing where you can swap PT sessions)?
- a site where you can get buy software (plugins, DAWs) at a discount?

Whatever it is, obviously the guys spent all their money toward creating a beautiful, slick looking website, with hipster millenals doing all kinds of cool stuff on their Apple macbooks, while sipping a triple nonfat organic chai latte ...

and then they ran out of money, and instead of hiring a copyright or entertainment lawyer who knows what he is doing, pulled together a bunch of EULA for sample libraries, user agreements for sharing services, agreements for production libraries, and then got it all mixed up.

The term 'derivate' for samples is bound to create a lot of confusion ... it's a term that has a very specific meaning in copyright law, but that's obviously not what they intend to do here.

Man o man ...

Just buy your licenses straight from Eastwest, Spitfire, NI, Arturia, Vienna, etc., or discounted plugins from Audio Plugins Deals (always excellent discounts), and post your music on your own website, and if you want to collab, use Dropbox or the Avid services or something.
Old 17th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
I looked at their website and quite frankly, I don't quite understand what they are offering:

- a sample library?
- loops?
- a website where you can collaborate with other people, similar to Avid Connect or whatever it's called? (or the PT proprietary thing where you can swap PT sessions)?

Whatever it is, obviously the guys spent all their money toward creating a beautiful, slick looking website, with hipster millenals doing all kinds of cool stuff on their Apple macbooks, while sipping a triple nonfat organic chai latte ...

and then they ran out of money, and instead of hiring a copyright or entertainment lawyer who knows what he is doing, pulled together a bunch of EULA for sample libraries, user agreements for sharing services, agreements for production libraries, and then got it all mixed up.

The term 'derivate' for samples is bound to create a lot of confusion ... it's a term that has a very specific meaning in copyright law, but that's obviously not what they intend to do here.

Man o man ...

Just buy your licenses straight from Eastwest, Spitfire, NI, Arturia, Vienna, etc., or discounted plugins from Audio Plugins Deals (always excellent discounts), and post your music on your own website, and if you want to collab, use Dropbox or the Avid services or something.
The answer to what Splice is, is all of the above. Consider this- Splice was created in 2013. By 2017 they had paid sample creators over $5 Million. In the same year they raised $35Million with a series B. With the exception of Native Instruments, their company valuation now exceeds all the other companies you mentioned combined. And their growth continues to be explosive. I'm not saying yea or nay to Splice, I'm just saying they are a behemoth at this point and fairly ubiquitous among music creators. I don't know a single artist producer who doesn't use Splice. Most film/TV/Ad guys I know use Splice. Whether or not you use Splice, it would be wise to at least be familiar with the company and what they are doing.
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:

- a sample library?
- loops?

Man o man ...

If serious - What the heck are you talking about?

If trolling - You really nailed down the "old man" trope of dissing millennials, classic!!
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Head

Quote:

- a sample library?
- loops?

Man o man ...

Old 17th January 2019
Gear Head

I own (well, in the process of owning) dozens and dozens of plugins from SPLICE. I find it an invaluable tool for creating music and should be on the top of any serious composer's list for acquiring plugins. To each his own I guess though.
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Head

Yeah I used it to rent-to-own Serum, pretty painless at $15 a month and the other day i realized i was done and now I own it... pretty good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezident View Post
I own (well, in the process of owning) dozens and dozens of plugins from SPLICE. I find it an invaluable tool for creating music and should be on the top of any serious composer's list for acquiring plugins. To each his own I guess though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post
The answer to what Splice is, is all of the above. Consider this- Splice was created in 2013. By 2017 they had paid sample creators over $5 Million. In the same year they raised $35Million with a series B. With the exception of Native Instruments, their company valuation now exceeds all the other companies you mentioned combined. And their growth continues to be explosive. I'm not saying yea or nay to Splice, I'm just saying they are a behemoth at this point and fairly ubiquitous among music creators. I don't know a single artist producer who doesn't use Splice. Most film/TV/Ad guys I know use Splice. Whether or not you use Splice, it would be wise to at least be familiar with the company and what they are doing.

Yeah, they're a great startup with the ability to raise millions from VCs, but how does that work out for YOU as content and music creator? How much do YOU get out of it?

Youtube is huge ... million and bazillions of hits a day! And you get awards if hit the 100k followers mark! But how much money actually ends up in the hands of people who created all of that content?

Sorry to be a cynical asshole, but I've been around for maybe too long, and worked for startups and big corporations ... it's always about the money. Even when they say it isn't.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yeah, they're a great startup with the ability to raise millions from VCs, but how does that work out for YOU as content and music creator? How much do YOU get out of it?

Youtube is huge ... million and bazillions of hits a day! And you get awards if hit the 100k followers mark! But how much money actually ends up in the hands of people who created all of that content?

Sorry to be a cynical asshole, but I've been around for maybe too long, and worked for startups and big corporations ... it's always about the money. Even when they say it isn't.

How does it work out for music creators? Immediate access to nearly every imaginable sound. New sources of income. New avenues for distribution and collaboration.

Pretty well, I'd say.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search