The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
COMPOSERS: DO NOT USE SPLICE [Public Service Announcement]
Old 11th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnysota View Post
Hello etch, the reason why libraries are pulling out tracks that use splice loops is because too many cues/tracks that are submitted are using the same loop not because they come from splice. And this is 100% accurate information I received from a certain Music library. That's why I always encourage producers to chop,alter the loops and samples the best they can to avoid having their work rejected.
Yes, it isn’t that difficult to chop these things up. But some people figure “I bought it, so I’ll use it however I want”.

In a way, I feel that libraries can’t complain too much. Most pay nothing for the cues they get from composers. If the library makes no investment in the product, why do they expect the composer to foot the bill for unique sounds for every project?

On the other hand, composers should be trying to up their game and use better tools and do unique things with the samples they get. It does help to stand out amongst the torrent of other music out there.
Old 11th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Yes, it isn’t that difficult to chop these things up. But some people figure “I bought it, so I’ll use it however I want”.

In a way, I feel that libraries can’t complain too much. Most pay nothing for the cues they get from composers. If the library makes no investment in the product, why do they expect the composer to foot the bill for unique sounds for every project?

On the other hand, composers should be trying to up their game and use better tools and do unique things with the samples they get. It does help to stand out amongst the torrent of other music out there.
Exactly!!! +1000

I went to a Guild of Music Supervisors event once where they had 5 different music sup's up on stage... I remember one of the guys was from MTV and he was saying that he can tell when a new sample pack comes out, because he'll get hundreds upon hundreds of the same exact sounds/loops in all these different compositions from different composers.

He get's hundreds upon hundreds of submissions a day for the shows he is working on.... he tries to get through as many as he can... he might listen to at least the first 5 to 20 seconds of 500 to 800 tracks in a day, almost every day!!!! So all the people using the same apple loops, splice loops, big fish audio loops, etc and everyone using the same kits and patches from Toontrack, Native Instruments, EastWest, etc all start to sound literally the same. He might not know the name of the sample pack, but he said he can definitely recognize them... and it makes everything sound homogenized and kind of bland... he said the tracks that stand out and get his attention as he is going down the list auditioning, are the ones that definitely sound different and unique compared to everyone else.

A lot of the library tracks I get hired to work on, even if we use samples, also have live elements that I (or someone else) track and mix, which adds a unique "signature" sound to each piece that separates it from everything else.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

well damn

BYEEEE splice

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search