The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
COMPOSERS: DO NOT USE SPLICE [Public Service Announcement]
Old 11th July 2019
  #301
Lives for gear
 
Jeff Hayat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
I've had a composer turn in a track before where the entire main 4 bar acoustic guitar riff was from an Otmar Leibert album. But Otmar is kind of new age/smooth jazz and this track the composer made was more hiphop/urban. When I figured it out and called the composer out on it, he literally said "wow man, I am shocked you caught that. I didn't think anyone would know that track. How did you know that song? You must be some kind of music encyclopedia or something?!!? Damn, well... ok... I'll swap out that guitar with something else..."

Old 12th July 2019
  #302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
exactly.

Beam me up, Scotty!
Old 12th July 2019
  #303
Lives for gear
 
Amber's Avatar
 

Wow.
Old 12th July 2019
  #304
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
Here’s a real world example of the ****storm headache that can happen with sample libraries. This is a potential scenario that I think has been mentioned earlier, but is now playing out... it can bite you in the ass.

Beware When Using Sample Libraries
This is absolutely unbelievable and I am 100% convinced of not using samples, other than from clearly reputable places like Heavyocity, like their product Damage for example which I do trust completely.

W.A Production. I just cannot believe how negligent this is. This must be a nightmare. Everyone needs to know about this!
Old 15th July 2019
  #305
Lives for gear
 
Squawk's Avatar
More Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
this is a great real world example of what I'm talking about...

but in this example, WA Productions is the owner of the infringing material and has to resolve the problem with the product and financially compensate Extreme for the violation.

The way splice is different... they say they aren't responsible for anything and give the contact info they have for the content creator over to the lawyer. So there is never any incentive for Splice themselves to police and do a "deep dive" check on the product they are selling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
This is absolutely unbelievable and I am 100% convinced of not using samples, other than from clearly reputable places like Heavyocity, like their product Damage for example which I do trust completely.

W.A Production. I just cannot believe how negligent this is. This must be a nightmare. Everyone needs to know about this!

To anyone who read the original legal letter I posted over at Soundloop and didn't think that could happen with Splice, you should probably read this.

Old 16th July 2019
  #306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
To anyone who read the original legal letter I posted over at Soundloop and didn't think that could happen with Splice, you should probably read this.

Yup... great post! this is exactly the sort of thing I was talking about...

Now anyone who downloaded these construction kits through Splice and used them for music library tracks, has to go back to the libraries and tell them they have to pull the tracks because they contain illegal samples from a competing music library. Doh!

Do you know if WA Productions' stuff shows up under Splice Community or under Splice Sounds?
Old 16th July 2019
  #307
Lives for gear
 
Squawk's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
Yup... great post! this is exactly the sort of thing I was talking about...

Now anyone who downloaded these construction kits through Splice and used them for music library tracks, has to go back to the libraries and tell them they have to pull the tracks because they contain illegal samples from a competing music library. Doh!

Do you know if WA Productions' stuff shows up under Splice Community or under Splice Sounds?
I believe all samples are under Splice's sounds section. From what I understand, the community aspect is just pertaining to "Splicing" other people's projects, contests, and profile pages, etc.

I don't know if WA has pulled out of Splice completely, or just pulled those samples. I'm not seeing them listed as a content partner, so I'm not sure...
Old 17th July 2019
  #308
Here for the gear
 

I’ve done few pretty good tracks by using Splice drum loops and vocal stuff but hesitated to release. After reading all the stuff thats being said, there is no way I’m willing to take that risk. It is too much in the ”grey zone” and not worth the risk. Plain stupid to pay for ”copyright free” loops via a market place where theres no control of source and other legal issues. I’ll go back to my own created material which I have 100% control of the source material.
Old 17th July 2019
  #309
Here for the gear
 

Etch-A-Sketch you're ********. Quit trying to mislead people. It sounds like you are working for the competition or something lmao. I already had the Splice terms cleared with my lawyer. All this means is that you cant take the sound by itself and have it copywritten, which makes sense because other subscribers have the right to use that sample as we did. However, if you take that sound and add stuff to it, it becomes YOUR composition. This protects other subscribers from getting sued for using the sample, However, if they copy your entire composition then you can sue. The tech wasn't saying you had to register it as a derivated work UNLESS you use the sample BY ITSELF! This makes complete sense!
Old 17th July 2019
  #310
Here for the gear
 

Etch-A-Sketch you're slow. Quit trying to mislead people . It sounds like you are working for the competition or something lmao. I already had the Splice terms cleared with my lawyer. All this means is that you cant take the sound by itself and have it copywritten, which makes sense because other subscribers have the right to use that sample as we did. However, if you take that sound and add stuff to it, it becomes YOUR composition. This protects other subscribers from getting sued for using the sample, However, if they copy your entire composition then you can sue. The tech wasn't saying you had to register it as a derivated work UNLESS you use the sample BY ITSELF! This makes complete sense!
Old 17th July 2019
  #311
Gear Addict
 
Volt9's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WezleyMusic View Post
Etch-A-Sketch you're slow. Quit trying to mislead people . It sounds like you are working for the competition or something lmao. I already had the Splice terms cleared with my lawyer. All this means is that you cant take the sound by itself and have it copywritten, which makes sense because other subscribers have the right to use that sample as we did. However, if you take that sound and add stuff to it, it becomes YOUR composition. This protects other subscribers from getting sued for using the sample, However, if they copy your entire composition then you can sue. The tech wasn't saying you had to register it as a derivated work UNLESS you use the sample BY ITSELF! This makes complete sense!
You sure you talk about the same use of the samples?
Old 17th July 2019
  #312
Splice is cool for percussion and drums, but I really can’t use it for any melodic stuff unless I buy presets for a VST.
Old 17th July 2019
  #313
Lives for gear
 
Squawk's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WezleyMusic View Post
Etch-A-Sketch you're slow. Quit trying to mislead people . It sounds like you are working for the competition or something lmao. I already had the Splice terms cleared with my lawyer. All this means is that you cant take the sound by itself and have it copywritten, which makes sense because other subscribers have the right to use that sample as we did. However, if you take that sound and add stuff to it, it becomes YOUR composition. This protects other subscribers from getting sued for using the sample, However, if they copy your entire composition then you can sue. The tech wasn't saying you had to register it as a derivated work UNLESS you use the sample BY ITSELF! This makes complete sense!
I suspect they are talking about “splicing” another member’s project (community), in which case it becomes a “derivative work”.

Technically, you can’t really just release a sample “by itself”, (registered derivative or not) as in, here’s my original song, it’s just a Splice vocal loop by itself with nothing else! (IIRC, it also shouldn’t be used bare in a track without other elements present).

Perhaps your lawyer is a little “slow”?

In any event, I believe this has already been discussed and resolved to where it’s clear for the most part. The bigger legal issue is what happens when Splice inadvertently releases a sample that has been jacked from somewhere else? That’s the question you should be asking your lawyer about, as that’s what may end up causing the legal headaches down the road.
Old 17th July 2019
  #314
Quote:
Originally Posted by WezleyMusic View Post
Etch-A-Sketch you're ********. Quit trying to mislead people. It sounds like you are working for the competition or something lmao.


I don't hide who I am. I put my real name in my signature and you can follow the links to see what I do and who I do it with. AND!!! I've been a member of the GS community for going on 10 years now and have thousands of posts...


YOU!!! just joined and have TWO total posts here on GS. Both of which are in this thread attacking me because I'm pointing out flaws in the way Splice handles their products legally.

Also, ironically, I got a linkedin friend request from someone from splice just a couple days ago... Are you sure you aren't from Splice and decided to create an account just to try and attack me???


Quote:
I already had the Splice terms cleared with my lawyer.
I think this speaks for itself... it might be time for you to stop using your Uncle's ex-wife's son-in-law divorce attorney for legal advice.

Quote:
All this means is that you cant take the sound by itself and have it copywritten, which makes sense because other subscribers have the right to use that sample as we did. However, if you take that sound and add stuff to it, it becomes YOUR composition.
But... what if the samples you downloaded from splice were illegally stolen (without permission) from a record label's album and splice doesn't have a legal right to distribute it to you? what if the samples were stolen from a competing sample library and splice doesn't have the legal right to distribute it publicly to you?

Quote:
This protects other subscribers from getting sued for using the sample, However, if they copy your entire composition then you can sue. The tech wasn't saying you had to register it as a derivated work UNLESS you use the sample BY ITSELF! This makes complete sense!
If you are only using the sample by itself, it's not a derivative work. It's a COPY. Before you try to argue copyright law please take a few music publishing and copyright classes so you can at least be somewhat up to speed on how it all works please. Also just for the record, if you take a sound and add stuff to it, it DOES NOT become yours. That is the legal DEFINITION of a derivative work as per the Copyright Act of 1909 and 1976.

I'm sorry, I hate to be so condescending and rude... but when you come in here guns blazing telling me I am "********" and that I am "misleading" people with your very first post on GS, when you yourself don't even understand basic concepts like what a derivative work means, you are going to get some stern backlash from me.
Old 17th July 2019
  #315
Lives for gear
 
Jeff Hayat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WezleyMusic View Post
I already had the Splice terms cleared with my lawyer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
it might be time for you to stop using your Uncle's ex-wife's son-in-law divorce attorney for legal advice.

My lawyer can beat up both of your lawyers.
Old 17th July 2019
  #316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
My lawyer can beat up both of your lawyers.
LOL. I don't think so man... my lawyer is a tough new yorker. She's fought Disney and won, sued donald trump twice and won. And she sued the federal government a couple years ago on behalf of songwriters and composers and won (She is the reason the government started drafting the Music Modernization Act). Her first client when she was starting out was Afeni Shakur, Tupac's mom. My lawyer sued Suge Knight on behalf of Afeni and the late Tupac... and WON! She won all the rights to Tupac and his music back from Suge, for Afeni. That is pretty ballsy... her first case was going after the one guy in the music industry who was (and still is) known for literally killing people that crossed him! Hahahaha... She is tough as nails.
Old 17th July 2019
  #317
Lives for gear
 
Jeff Hayat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
LOL. I don't think so man... my lawyer is a tough new yorker.
Yeah, well so am I! It's where I am from. In fact, I will beat up everyone's lawyer!!!
Old 17th July 2019
  #318
Lives for gear
 

I'm considering starting a Lawyer A/B thread. Vintage vs modern. Virtual vs. real. NY vs. everywhere else.
Old 19th July 2019
  #319
Probably shouldn't jump in here, but isn't the language simply saying that I can't go download a splice snare, layer my own percussion sound over it, and then sell that combined sample on a website?
Old 19th July 2019
  #320
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiedaniels View Post
Probably shouldn't jump in here, but isn't the language simply saying that I can't go download a splice snare, layer my own percussion sound over it, and then sell that combined sample on a website?
That’s what the Splice agreement means.

But Etch is talking about another subject. He is saying that no one should use Splice because the sounds on Splice may not be legal to use. They may not be legal to use because the people selling the sounds on Splice may have copied the sounds from another recording. This would be equivalent to me sampling snippets of other people’s music and claiming that I created these samples from scratch.

In short: buyer beware.
Old 19th July 2019
  #321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
That’s what the Splice agreement means.

But Etch is talking about another subject. He is saying that no one should use Splice because the sounds on Splice may not be legal to use. They may not be legal to use because the people selling the sounds on Splice may have copied the sounds from another recording. This would be equivalent to me sampling snippets of other people’s music and claiming that I created these samples from scratch.

In short: buyer beware.
Ah, interesting. I've always been worried about that.
Old 19th July 2019
  #322
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiedaniels View Post
Probably shouldn't jump in here, but isn't the language simply saying that I can't go download a splice snare, layer my own percussion sound over it, and then sell that combined sample on a website?
So I'm curious, we are speaking of Splice here but does that also apply to other sellers like ADSR, Loopmaster and others?
Old 20th July 2019
  #323
Quote:
Originally Posted by artmuz View Post
So I'm curious, we are speaking of Splice here but does that also apply to other sellers like ADSR, Loopmaster and others?
Yes.
Old 20th July 2019
  #324
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
In short: buyer beware.
A worrying thing is that some sample developers say in their EULA that they are not liable for any damages you may incur from using their samples, other than paying you the cost of the license you paid for the sample pack. So if something goes wrong you might get $25 (of 25 credits...) and be on your own to clean up the mess.

Another issue with Splice is the fact you can't get any kind of documentation that lists all of the samples you have licensed. If you need proof that you licensed a sample, they suggest taking a screenshot of their app. So if you want a full list of all of your samples you'd be sitting there for a day taking 100's of screenshots.
Old 20th July 2019
  #325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekkle View Post
Another issue with Splice is the fact you can't get any kind of documentation that lists all of the samples you have licensed. If you need proof that you licensed a sample, they suggest taking a screenshot of their app. So if you want a full list of all of your samples you'd be sitting there for a day taking 100's of screenshots.
Screenshots? No, I just open the Splice Desktop app. It has all of the samples that I purchased from Splice.
Old 20th July 2019
  #326
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Screenshots? No, I just open the Splice Desktop app. It has all of the samples that I purchased from Splice.
What I mean is if you had a takedown attempt on a track because of a Splice sample and had to prove you had licensed that particular sample, the only way to prove it is by taking a screenshot of the app. If you buy a sample pack from the original developer (like loopmasters) you'll have a receipt with the sample pack name on it so it's a proof of purchase. With Splice all you get is a bunch of subscription receipts that contain no details of the actual samples you licensed.

I have stopped my subscription and want to remove the app and account but I have to keep it all just in case I have to need proof of purchase. If they ever went out of business, we'd all be sitting there taking screenshots.
Old 23rd July 2019
  #327
Lives for gear
 
Lorenzop's Avatar
 

Thread of the Year I say.......
....and Etch is Dude of the Year for starting this....although thanks to all other contributors who actually put things in motion

Great thread!

Why don´t we start another sticky thread where we list and evaluate known sample libraries to see if they are ok to use in Production music?
Old 16th August 2019
  #328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
Interesting development, Universal library are doing a competition where you use Splice samples to win money and get tracks in their library.
I originally submitted 9 tracks but pulled 5.

Hopefully I land something. I think results are coming on 26 of August.
Old 1 week ago
  #329
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzop View Post
Why don´t we start another sticky thread where we list and evaluate known sample libraries to see if they are ok to use in Production music?

Yes, please!
List of reputable companies would help a lot. Or what to look for in the EULA agreements and Terms of Uses.
Old 1 week ago
  #330
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
I'm just letting everyone know as a head's up. You can use them if you want, but don't say I didn't warn you!

In the last week I've now had 3 different libraries tell me they have run into problems that lead back to Splice samples. One library is now pulling any and all tracks that use Splice loops because of it. I wouldn't be surprised if others start following suit.

Use at your own risk.
Hello etch, the reason why libraries are pulling out tracks that use splice loops is because too many cues/tracks that are submitted are using the same loop not because they come from splice. And this is 100% accurate information I received from a certain Music library. That's why I always encourage producers to chop,alter the loops and samples the best they can to avoid having their work rejected.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump