The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RF Libraries and Production Music Libraries Plugin Bundles
Old 21st October 2018
Here for the gear

RF Libraries and Production Music Libraries

Hello all, this is my first post.

I have to say I've spent many hours reading post in this forum and I want to thank you all for the valuable information.

I started creating "music for picture" this year and I've been non exclusive with a couple RF libraries (pond5, AJ, etc). That were the ones I knew about when I started, but now thanks to this forum I've been aware of the existence of production music libraries that pitch music directly to Tv and have higher income potential for composers (both licensing fees and backend). I feel like I'm making quality music that get 2 or 3 purchases $10-15 each license when they are uploaded, then the tracks get lost in the search engine and that's it. I've been making around 100 dollars every month since I started. I don't see income growing accordingly to my portfolio. Im making music everyday.

so, I would like to know if there would be a problem to submit music that I have in the RF sites to non-exclusive production music libraries. Would it be a conflict there? To my knowledge, due to what non exclusive basically means it wouldn't be a problem (technically) but I wonder if its common practice or not in this business. Some libraries state that they don't allow tracks that are in the RF market, but others don't say anything about that.

Sorry if my english is weird, its not my main language.

Thank you for your time
Old 22nd October 2018
Hi Bruno,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on getting your music out there for licensing!

If you are submitting to a library that is non-exclusive, then it is non-exclusive and there is no problem. It could be in 15 or 20 different libraries and it doesn't matter.

But, before you just blindly start sending your tracks to other libraries, just try to take a couple minutes and look at each library you are going to pitch to and see if you can see any trends in the way they produce, arrange and/or orchestrate their music.

A very extreme example of this is Video Helper. They have a very intricate formula that all their cues have to follow. Here is a video that describes it.

so if you are submitting to Video Helper as an example, and your music doesn't follow the arrangement layout they use... then they are less likely to be interested in your tracks.

Every company and every catalog/series within each company has things that are unique about it. Try to find those things and that will help you figure out what you can pitch your existing music to and could help inspire you to try writing something new that fits what the company is looking for.

Make sense?
Old 22nd October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
Hi Bruno,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on getting your music out there for licensing!

If you are submitting to a library that is non-exclusive, then it is non-exclusive and there is no problem. It could be in 15 or 20 different libraries and it doesn't matter.

But, before you just blindly start sending your tracks to other libraries, just try to take a couple minutes and look at each library you are going to pitch to and see if you can see any trends in the way they produce, arrange and/or orchestrate their music.

A very extreme example of this is Video Helper. They have a very intricate formula that all their cues have to follow. Here is a video that describes it.

so if you are submitting to Video Helper as an example, and your music doesn't follow the arrangement layout they use... then they are less likely to be interested in your tracks.

Every company and every catalog/series within each company has things that are unique about it. Try to find those things and that will help you figure out what you can pitch your existing music to and could help inspire you to try writing something new that fits what the company is looking for.

Make sense?
Makes total sense. Thanks for sharing !!
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search