The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ASCAP robbed me! ASCAP robbed me!
Old 1 week ago
ASCAP robbed me! ASCAP robbed me!

Just got my royalty statement for this quarter. They took 35% of my blanket cable royalties! The adjustment reason states “Performance-Deleted”. So poof, royalties disappear with no true explanation.

Meanwhile, half of my statement is made up of streaming royalties which add up to about $50.

I feel good for some reason. Not happy about the situation, but good in that I am learning something about music licensing. From what I can see, the money is in upfront payments and not backend royalties. That is how it is working for me.

So I have a few decisions to make and a few tasks to execute.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Just got my royalty statement for this quarter. They took 35% of my blanket cable royalties! The adjustment reason states “Performance-Deleted”. So poof, royalties disappear with no true explanation.

Meanwhile, half of my statement is made up of streaming royalties which add up to about $50.

I feel good for some reason. Not happy about the situation, but good in that I am learning something about music licensing. From what I can see, the money is in upfront payments and not backend royalties. That is how it is working for me.

ASCAP is just a phone call away - you might want to know why your statement looks the way it does, and THEN post about it
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Spoilage.

Sorry for your loss.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
ASCAP is just a phone call away - you might want to know why your statement looks the way it does, and THEN post about it
I filled out an inquiry.

Unfortunately, I probably won’t get a response for a year.

In the past, I have called the NY office and the Miami office. No help there. Maybe Nashville or LA may work better.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Bad luck D.I. :(

Have you found out what 'performance deleted' means? I never heard that one.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by lornemalvo View Post
Bad luck D.I. :(

Have you found out what 'performance deleted' means? I never heard that one.
No idea.

My guess is that they overpaid or paid me for uses in the past that were not correct. Either way, it is terrible. Their job is to accurately track performances and pay composers and publishers for those performances. How do they screw up their sole purpose for existing?

Since I took a loss, my publisher must have as well. I will contact my publisher to see if they have deductions from their PRO payout. They may not care, but it wont hurt to ask.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

When you say "half of my statement" do you mean half of the pages, or half of the money?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I filled out an inquiry.

In the past, I have called the NY office and the Miami office. No help there. Maybe Nashville or LA may work better.
call the New York Office much more helpful there. i just spoke with a Rep there an hour ago. very helpful.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I filled out an inquiry.

I never have a problem getting a representative on the phone.

If you were overpaid in an earlier statement, you didn’t lose money, your income was readjusted. Before making guesses, just call.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFulford View Post
When you say "half of my statement" do you mean half of the pages, or half of the money?
Half of the pages. 24 out of 48 pages. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
I never have a problem getting a representative on the phone.

If you were overpaid in an earlier statement, you didn’t lose money, your income was readjusted. Before making guesses, just call.
^ That

Sorry DI, it wasn't what you were expecting. If you call 800-505-4052, and push either 1 or 2 at the prompt, you WILL get a rep on the phone. You may have to wait a while, but you WILL speak to someone. Please come back and tell us what they said - tho Sharp's explanation seems the most logical, I am genuinely curious what ASCAP will say.

Cheers.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
^ That

Sorry DI, it wasn't what you were expecting. If you call 800-505-4052, and push either 1 or 2 at the prompt, you WILL get a rep on the phone. You may have to wait a while, but you WILL speak to someone. Please come back and tell us what they said - tho Sharp's explanation seems the most logical, I am genuinely curious what ASCAP will say.

Cheers.
Thanks.

I will call tomorrow before lunch.
Old 6 days ago
So I just talked to ASCAP.

I was told that the cue sheets filed were incorrect. The placements I was paid for were incorrectly paid out. The cue sheets filed were for the wrong show on the E! Network.

So basically I am hosed.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:

I was told that the cue sheets filed were incorrect. The placements I was paid for were incorrectly paid out. The cue sheets filed were for the wrong show on the E! Network.

So basically I am hosed.
That would have happened regardless of which PRO you are with. There are two reasons why the cue sheets get filled out incorrectly. 1st could be an error from the person at the production company that has to make the cue sheets (or if they use software to do it, the software messed up). 2nd could be from the publisher you have the tracks with. If the music is tagged incorrectly, hard to understand, or the tags are just flat out wrong, then the cue sheet will be wrong.

It sucks that it happened to you... I would ping the production company and ask what is going on. Maybe they know how the mistake happened... just to be clear though... mistakes on cue sheets happen all the time... seriously, ALL the time. Some publishers try to police the cue sheets and catch all the errors... but it's impossible to catch all of them. Sometimes its as easy as the assistant music editor accidentally changing one small word in the song title accidentally.
Old 5 days ago
I contacted the publisher and they said it was out of their control and that they probably took a loss as well.

So I am done with it for now.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
I contacted the publisher and they said it was out of their control and that they probably took a loss as well.

So I am done with it for now.

that sucks
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

So basically I am hosed.
Are you saying that you were paid on a prior statement based on a bad cue sheet and that this cue sheet effectively clawed back the money you were paid on the earlier cue sheet?
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post

that sucks
Yes it does.

But this company probably makes hundreds of thousands or more in publisher royalties. So a few hundred bucks missing isn’t motivation for them to do anything.

No need for me to feel bad. I did my due diligence. Time to find other companies to work with.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

As others have mentioned, it sounds like you were paid for something you shouldn't have been paid for. There is so much opportunity for error with cue sheets...somebody somewhere along the way made a mistake and ASCAP is obligated to make adjustments when this happens.

There is nothing anyone can or should do for you, other than to offer an explanation. They gave you a bit of someone else's money and now they're fixing the error.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Yup. I've had it happen with a $6,000+ error once on a $30k+ payout. One quarter I was happy, the next sad. It all averages out. Cost of doing business. Spoilage.....
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Oh man...that's brutal!
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrenebbage View Post
As others have mentioned, it sounds like you were paid for something you shouldn't have been paid for. There is so much opportunity for error with cue sheets...somebody somewhere along the way made a mistake and ASCAP is obligated to make adjustments when this happens.

There is nothing anyone can or should do for you, other than to offer an explanation. They gave you a bit of someone else's money and now they're fixing the error.
Sounds good, thanks.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrenebbage View Post
Right - sounds DI, like you were accidentally paid for something you should not have been, and then ASCAP made the correction and "took the money back". Thereby, you did not lose any money.

Kinda like, when there is a bank error... when a teller in a branch takes a $51,480.00 check from a customer, and deposits it in the wrong acct. My acct. Then, the bank corrects the error, and deducts the $51,480.00 from my acct. Well, I didn't lose $51,480.00 - did I?

ISTG this happened to me yesterday.

Cheers.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Right - sounds DI, like you were accidentally paid for something you should not have been, and then ASCAP made the correction and "took the money back". Thereby, you did not lose any money.

Kinda like, when there is a bank error... when a teller in a branch takes a $51,480.00 check from a customer, and deposits it in the wrong acct. My acct. Then, the bank corrects the error, and deducts the $51,480.00 from my acct. Well, I didn't lose $51,480.00 - did I?

ISTG this happened to me yesterday.

Cheers.
I understand that.

But the big question for me is “Why are the PROs making errors?”
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I understand that.

B/c we don't live in a perfect world, and people and companies and systems are not perfect?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

And it might not be the PRO. It might be a young intern in charge of filling out cue sheets for the show. It might be the editor, the producer, the music house, etc., etc., etc.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

This ^^^^ The PROs aren't filling out the cue sheets - just paying on them. That said, they DO make other errors too. Not to mention the unsubstantiated and substantial "errors" that they know they are making. aka - redistributing funds as they like.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I understand that.

Because, in their current state, the PROs are like the bionic man. They're mostly flesh with some computerized parts grafted on.

If the system was brought up into the modern age with digital watermarking and digital tracking and all that automated, a lot of these errors wouldn't happen.

But then again they don't want that because then their payouts would become a lot more fair and go to the people they should. And it's common knowledge the PROs don't want that.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Yeah, there are so many opportunities for error. Some nefarious, per Dr. Bill and Ionian, but most probably aren't. People make mistakes.

I had a ton of vocal cues on every episode of a show for a couple of seasons, and someone at BMI changed the classification from BV to BI because it looked unusual to have so many vocal uses. They thought someone at the production company was trying to pull a fast one. BMI sorted it out and sent me a check for the difference right away.

I had a ton of music on a popular show and didn't see royalties when I should have. I finally got a hold of the cue sheets and all of my cues were registered as Bleeding Fingers cues. I don't write for Bleeding Fingers. BMI helped sort it out and I assume they took some money back from Hans to give to me : )
Old 4 days ago
Deleted User

This is a widespread and common occurrence. Will be interesting to see how the newly signed into law MMA will come into play.. these ****ers have been doing whatever the want for far too long, playing with our content, money and careers as they please... they must be held accountable for their actions, period.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search