The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Jingle Punks and single release
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Jingle Punks and single release

I'm planning on putting my latest song exclusively to Jingle Punks. In addition, I will release the song as a promotional single (spotify, itunes etc).

Should I register the song with my own PRO to collect the possible radio and other royalties? Because Jingle Punks registers the song with -JP extension which would look weird in spotify and such.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Always register all your tracks with your PRO. In fact, if you are already a member of a PRO, chances are that you entered a contract that obliges you to register all your musical works with your PRO. Check your contract for this. There may be some exceptions (music for games, for example), but generally you should register your tracks.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Are Jingle Punks asking you for exclusivity, or is that your choice?

Usually if a music library wants a track exclusively, that means you cannot release it yourself - they want to be the only available source for that song, so that they can tell their clients they are getting completely original, unique music that cannot be heard anywhere else.

Found this on the JP website:

"We now only offer an Exclusive Agreement. This gives us the exclusive right to place your submitted music in our client’s media content worldwide for a period of 1 year, which auto-renews unless otherwise stated. All submitted music must be free and clear of any master or publishing claims. Your music cannot be represented elsewhere."

You'd be best off checking with them, but I'm not sure they'll take music that's been self-released...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

If it is an exclusive deal it's often the publisher who will register the tracks with your PRO. In that case you should not register the tracks yourself, as the publisher (in this case Jingle Punks) will take care of that and it complicates their job if the tracks are already registered. Best to ask Jingle Punks about it - and if they don't register the tracks for you, do it yourself.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

What you are describing - OP - is a NON Exclusive deal. Best to check with Jingle Punks before placing it there, OR placing it with iTunes, etc..
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Ok, thanks for the replys. I guess I'd better check with Jingle Punks although it'll take time.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

@Harrison81 I'm confused by your initial post--are you already working with Jingle Punks in an official capacity (i.e., have music or even this particular song as part of a contract)? I'd hate to think they'd take months to respond if you were already on their roster.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison81 View Post
Ok, thanks for the replys. I guess I'd better check with Jingle Punks although it'll take time.

Read the contract. That's all you need to know, and really, holds infinitely more weight than an email or phone conversation. If it says their placement is "exclusive" that's exactly what it means. You cannot place your songs anywhere else. If it's a non-exclusive placement, you can place your songs in iTunes or elsewhere.

Occasionally (very rarely IME), you will see a placement that is exclusive in the "production music world", and you can do what you will with your music OUTSIDE the production music world. I think this is happening less and less these days as things cross over and that's quite possibly leaving money on the table from their perspective.

Either way, the contract will spell things out, and it only takes the time to read it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwade90 View Post
@Harrison81 I'm confused by your initial post--are you already working with Jingle Punks in an official capacity (i.e., have music or even this particular song as part of a contract)? I'd hate to think they'd take months to respond if you were already on their roster.
Yes, I have a lot of instrumental tracks there exclusively and I've had quite a few placements also. The latest song (not uploaded yet) is a vocal song that I think would do good outside the production music world as well.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Also, be aware that many publishers require you to have royalties sent your own publishing company if you are acting as an artist or performer, as opposed to writing instrumental cues where you would not need a publishing company.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Read the contract.
That ^ . Exactly that and nothing but that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Scott View Post
Also, be aware that many publishers require you to have royalties sent your own publishing company if you are acting as an artist or performer, as opposed to writing instrumental cues where you would not need a publishing company.
Interesting - first time I ever heard of this.

Curious - what is it to the pub, whether an artist/performer collects royalties directly, or via a publishing company? I can understand maybe a PRO requiring this... but a pub?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
What you are describing - OP - is a NON Exclusive deal. Best to check with Jingle Punks before placing it there, OR placing it with iTunes, etc..
What he is describing is surely something else and doesn't sound like any Non-Exclusive deal for any reason I can see.

Jingle Punks has gone exclusive only, therefore if he has been approved by them ie he has an active account to upload, then certainly it will be Exclusive.

Most libraries/brokers don't take mechanical rights. Releasing to Spotify and iTunes is Mechanical ie. Master Rights. Jingle Punks only deals with Publishing Rights therefore the OP would be entitled to his right to release it.

If an overreaching Library has an issue with it, they can certainly chase down any Publishing royalties that may accumulate charge an administration fee and pass the rest on to the writers, however, generally isn't anything within their contracts anyways.

Either way, yes, he should read the contract.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison81 View Post
I'm planning on putting my latest song exclusively to Jingle Punks. In addition, I will release the song as a promotional single (spotify, itunes etc).

Should I register the song with my own PRO to collect the possible radio and other royalties? Because Jingle Punks registers the song with -JP extension which would look weird in spotify and such.
Yes, you should register the song with your PRO.

You should not put -JP or anything mood wise or descriptive wise, it should be the name of the song and nothing more. In the AKA you can put different names.

When you release it to Spotify and iTunes make sure just to put the original songs name and not some production name or JP name.

Jingle Punks will also of course register it with their PRO which is a Publishers account, which will eventually show up in your PRO account/catalog.

If you have a Publishers account with your PRO then don't register it on your Publisher account, just register it in your personal writers account.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetwest View Post
Most libraries/brokers don't take mechanical rights. Releasing to Spotify and iTunes is Mechanical ie. Master Rights. Jingle Punks only deals with Publishing Rights therefore the OP would be entitled to his right to release it.
This is incorrect. At least for traditional PMA style libraries, high tier libraries, etc.. maybe not for the "online sign up" libraries.

Quote:
Either way, yes, he should read the contract.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yes, you should register the song with your PRO.

You should not put -JP or anything mood wise or descriptive wise, it should be the name of the song and nothing more. In the AKA you can put different names.

When you release it to Spotify and iTunes make sure just to put the original songs name and not some production name or JP name.

Jingle Punks will also of course register it with their PRO which is a Publishers account, which will eventually show up in your PRO account/catalog.

If you have a Publishers account with your PRO then don't register it on your Publisher account, just register it in your personal writers account.
Actually, again, potentially misleading info here.

You should NOT register a song with your PRO if the library is going to publish it. This will cause a substantial pita factor for the library. If it's non-exclusive and they are re-titling, then yes, go ahead and register it under your own title. If it's exclusive, do NOT register - the library will want to do that.

Do NOT release to Spotify and/or iTunes, etc. until you read your contract. You might be creating serious problems. For normal libraries that pay you an up front fee, they take the master rights and publishing, leaving you without the ability to "use the song as you want". Absolutely check the contract or have an attorney check it for you before releasing commercially.

As far as BMI is concerned "registering" the song registers it with both publisher and writers accounts. Not sure of how other PROs approach this.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
This is incorrect. At least for traditional PMA style libraries, high tier libraries, etc.. maybe not for the "online sign up" libraries.

I said most, not all. I also said Libraries/Brokers. This is 2018, nearly 100% have some online presence. Those that are not looking for material other then by referral, at one point almost always started in a similar nature to an online sign up.

Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Actually, again, potentially misleading info here.

You should NOT register a song with your PRO if the library is going to publish it. This will cause a substantial pita factor for the library. If it's non-exclusive and they are re-titling, then yes, go ahead and register it under your own title. If it's exclusive, do NOT register - the library will want to do that.

Do NOT release to Spotify and/or iTunes, etc. until you read your contract. You might be creating serious problems. For normal libraries that pay you an up front fee, they take the master rights and publishing, leaving you without the ability to "use the song as you want". Absolutely check the contract or have an attorney check it for you before releasing commercially.

As far as BMI is concerned "registering" the song registers it with both publisher and writers accounts. Not sure of how other PROs approach this.
You should always register a song with your PRO, always. Only under some work for hire contract would you otherwise not want to.

The PRO will filter the money to the correct parties. It has little to do with re-titling. The Library will provide the proper cue name and it will work out just fine, nothing funny is going on. In registering this version of the song in the AKA he can put the other song titles, he can then go ahead, if he feels he needs to, put the Publisher in the share structure.

BMI is only one PRO, there are others. Usually PROs have Publisher Accounts and Writers Accounts, I have had one before perhaps I will again. These are noted as such when you sign up and within your contract and agreement.

Ultimately its down to the contract.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
You should always register a song with your PRO, always.
At least 50% of my publishers would disagree. YMMV
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
At least 50% of my publishers would disagree. YMMV
But he was talking about Libraries and specifically Jingle Punks, not Dr. Bills Publishers or even Publishers in general.

Not everyone is Dr. Bill.

To perpetuate on a Public Forum to mostly those in need of all levels of information, that everyone register every song with your PRO is a much better practice and overall more balanced and appropriate approach to those that could be reading.

Its a rabidly dysfunctional industry often full of vagrants, charlatans, hippies, hipsters, lazy d-bags, sharks and overall vile seedy characters along with often unintelligent or lack of business acumen or newbie individuals therefore relevant information on a more balanced scale regardless what some posh Publisher has to say that most won't ever have a chance of landing a deal with is much better information, especially Publicly to largely people in need of a lot of information that is relevant.

I am not here to headbut with Dr. Bill because he feels his little Publisher Deals, that again most won't be able to get, is what we are talking about here.

I know 1000% I'm not welcome here or in the music game and that is very fine with me. I am out and have been out. You can win and have the last post, I will not return to this thread with whatever you quote as well I wont belabor a thread so the Mods can mute me and have you have the last slanderous post to defame and bully, as has happens basically every time. Quite frankly this little return to Gearslutz to help someone with some information that most the usual rabid hyenas acting like little schoolgirls will give only a slanted view based on their secular little posse or specific deal to them has helped me better formulate my ongoing business plans, which may no longer include music and certainly not helping anyone in the music industry, not if the same continued b.s. occurs.

Regards.
Old 1 week ago
So........

Did the OP contact Jingle Punks and get an answer?

I believe that is the only reasonable solution.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
But he was talking about Libraries and specifically Jingle Punks, not Dr. Bills Publishers or even Publishers in general.

To perpetuate on a Public Forum to mostly those in need of all levels of information, that everyone register every song with your PRO is a much better practice and overall more balanced and appropriate approach to those that could be reading.

Its a rabidly dysfunctional industry often full of vagrants, charlatans, hippies, hipsters, lazy d-bags, sharks and overall vile seedy characters along with often unintelligent or lack of business acumen or newbie individuals therefore relevant information on a more balanced scale regardless what some posh Publisher has to say that most won't ever have a chance of landing a deal with is much better information, especially Publicly to largely people in need of a lot of information that is relevant.

I am not here to headbut with Dr. Bill because he feels his little Publisher Deals, that again most won't be able to get, is what we are talking about here.

I know 1000% I'm not welcome here or in the music game and that is very fine with me. I am out and have been out. You can win and have the last post, I will not return to this thread with whatever you quote as well I wont belabor a thread so the Mods can mute me and have you have the last slanderous post to defame and bully, as has happens basically every time. Quite frankly this little return to Gearslutz to help someone with some information that most the usual rabid hyenas acting like little schoolgirls will give only a slanted view based on their secular little posse or specific deal to them has helped me better formulate my ongoing business plans, which may no longer include music and certainly not helping anyone in the music industry, not if the same continued b.s. occurs.

Regards.

My opinions are just personal experience. I thought an alternative perspective might be useful to many. I didn't discount your experience, merely added my own. Sorry I ruffled your feathers. Hope you have a good day! Cheers,

PS - thank GOD not everyone is drBill. Makes the world a better place.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

No, but Bill is correct.

Quote:
You should always register a song with your PRO, always.

No, you should not. When you write a cue, or a bunch of cues that you send to your library/publisher (same), whether you still hold the copyright or not, whether a WFH or not, you do not EVER register the cue with that title with your PRO. Unless the library/publisher for some reason tells you to, or you know for a fact that they won't. Why don't you? That's been answered earlier.

If you self-pub, THEN you reg with your PRO.

Cheers.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

I can only speak for myself but I have run into instances with Exclusive libs when I write a song with lyrics as an independent artist, that they require I use my pub co for that release and not my regular BMI # that I use for instrumental cues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
That ^ . Exactly that and nothing but that.

Interesting - first time I ever heard of this.

Curious - what is it to the pub, whether an artist/performer collects royalties directly, or via a publishing company? I can understand maybe a PRO requiring this... but a pub?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search