The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ASCAP Royalties Vs. BMI
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

ASCAP Royalties Vs. BMI

Hey guys,
Wanted to float out this question to you all since ASCAP domestic just paid this morning...

I am seeing what appears to be a low number for MTV placements in prime time and i wanted to ask if these amounts on my statement sound right to you or are too low?

I was seeing across the board $28.5 per 1 min of Prime Time airing per one airing. I was seeing this amount consistent across three shows.

I just got off the phone with a BMI writer that has had music on the same show seeing $100-$130 per min prime time 1 airing.

Anyone else in any of these ballparks?

THANK YOU!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearside View Post
Hey guys,
Wanted to float out this question to you all since ASCAP domestic just paid this morning...

I am seeing what appears to be a low number for MTV placements in prime time and i wanted to ask if these amounts on my statement sound right to you or are too low?

I was seeing across the board $28.5 per 1 min of Prime Time airing per one airing. I was seeing this amount consistent across three shows.

I just got off the phone with a BMI writer that has had music on the same show seeing $100-$130 per min prime time 1 airing.

THANK YOU!
Just did a quick check I'm at $29.26 for an instrumental, showing as BG on my statement..

Two things to look for...is the BMI cue notated as a background instrumental? Or did they notate it as a vocal?

Also...with BMI it's super hard to tell if it's 1 airing or several...I don't believe they have the amount of times it's aired on the statement but ill check again to make sure..
Old 1 week ago
BMI lists number of airings but not day part. I’ve got some stuff in reruns on MTV that I know aired outside of prime time paying about $20 per minute for a background instrumental. But then there are a few that paid more like $50 per minute. Maybe those were in prime time.

This is a super small sample size, though, and BMI does supposedly take ratings into account when apportioning royalties, so every show could be different.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearside View Post
Hey guys,

THANK YOU!
The other thing is comparing the AMOUNT of plays.

ASCAP may have given you roughly $30/min, and you might have 30 airings...

BMI may have given you $100/min, but you might only have 9 airings.

If you are going to compare you really need to cowrite with a BMI writer and check with the cowriter. When I've compared things I've cowritten with BMI writers they usually make more per airing, but I have usually made more total because I end up with way more airings than they had on their BMI statement.

I'll have 200 airings of a promo, while they have it listed once. I'll have 10 listings of an inshow placement airing, they'll have 3. So yes, they might have a higher rate... but you really have to not only look at the per minute but also the sum total.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
The other thing is comparing the AMOUNT of plays.
Thanks for the advice guys! This really helps
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

At least you're getting paid. Every PRS (UK) member (including me) I know is seeing a payout of £0 indicated today. The PRS is the monumentally incompetent PRO in existence.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetM View Post
At least you're getting paid. Every PRS (UK) member (including me) I know is seeing a payout of £0 indicated today. The PRS is the monumentally incompetent PRO in existence.
Wait, what? They aren’t paying any royalties to anyone today? OMG, that is crazy! Might be time for you to switch to a US PRO.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

The figures have now reverted to the correct amount.

It is one thing after another with the PRS. A lot of composers/songwriters are very unhappy with the organisation at the moment. It's no wonder that they're currently being sued by three of the biggest ever UK acts...
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Wait, what? They aren’t paying any royalties to anyone today? OMG, that is crazy! Might be time for you to switch to a US PRO.
The PRS would still handle UK royalties if I did that and then hand them over to the US PRO.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetM View Post
The PRS would still handle UK royalties if I did that and then hand them over to the US PRO.
Which would, no doubt, make things worse.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

i was thinking of resigning from ASCAP as they are not paying me for so many placements due to their ridiculous survey system. anyone else experience this and if so did you switch and get a better experience with BMI pay outs?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search