The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roast My Latest Track? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 5th July 2018
Gear Head

Roast My Latest Track?

Not sure what the rules are here so if this violates any feel free to delete!

Not looking for any sort of ego stroke, but I feel like I've made some fairly solid gains recently in my overall production value and I'd love to get any feedback, especially from some of you vets/pros. Is there anything I could do to the mix to make a diff that you think I'm missing? Obvious noob mistakes? Is there stuff that still screams "amateur!"?

I'm mainly selling on AJ/P5 so it's definitely geared to that market, but feel free to blow it apart. Fire away!

Heavy Blues Groove Rock - Clyp
Old 6th July 2018
Lives for gear

This is quite good.

I think you need hi-hat - right from the beginning. The shaker/tamb thing is a bit much. Think in terms of how a real drummer would play - he'd be playing a hat.

I also think the rhythm guit can come up a tad.

Cheers.
Old 6th July 2018
Lives for gear

I just roasted my latest spliff and thought I was watching a bass pro tournament when I heard this.
Old 8th July 2018
Gear Head

The drums could move back a little. Take a back seat if you will. Make it more about the guitar riff. Just spitballing here
Old 9th July 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
This is quite good.

I think you need hi-hat - right from the beginning. The shaker/tamb thing is a bit much. Think in terms of how a real drummer would play - he'd be playing a hat.

I also think the rhythm guit can come up a tad.

Cheers.
+1

I like it, but a simple closed hh on the beat would make a significant difference.
Old 10th July 2018
Gear Head

Thanks all! Will give the hats a try and I actually did remix it a little over the weekend and throw the drums a bit further back (tough to do without losing too much energy...)
Old 10th July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyfingers View Post
I just roasted my latest spliff and thought I was watching a bass pro tournament when I heard this.
my work here is done, call up the publisher!
Old 10th July 2018
I like the composition, and the mix things have been covered, but I think you need to watch your groove in a few spots. The main riff swings, but then you've got this straight fill at :12 that leads into a straight tambourine shake that makes the whole thing fall down a little. It sounds like the same tambo loop in the B section, which works there because everything else is playing straight.

(I don't love the samples either, but for the RF market, these are probably fine.)
Old 10th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Quite minor I guess, but I kept thinking the snare was too short - needs some more tail.
Old 10th July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpacaRoom View Post
I like the composition, and the mix things have been covered, but I think you need to watch your groove in a few spots. The main riff swings, but then you've got this straight fill at :12 that leads into a straight tambourine shake that makes the whole thing fall down a little. It sounds like the same tambo loop in the B section, which works there because everything else is playing straight.

(I don't love the samples either, but for the RF market, these are probably fine.)
I kinda liked the way the straight tambo (1 and 3 accents) sounded against that riff, i know it's kinda weird but I didn't think it was too out there and kinda broke up the monotony a bit?

I always struggle for samples on stuff like this, I'm using Superior 3 but I've got the bass and snare stacked upon stacked trying to find a drum sound i like... this was as close as i could get but still not totally satisfied.

Just listened to 'Drop The Hammer' on your soundcloud, sounds really great, closer to the sound I'm always shooting for and just coming up short it seems. Sounds like you're using a quite a bit of reverb?
Old 10th July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiterred View Post
I always struggle for samples on stuff like this, I'm using Superior 3 but I've got the bass and snare stacked upon stacked trying to find a drum sound i like... this was as close as i could get but still not totally satisfied.

Just listened to 'Drop The Hammer' on your soundcloud, sounds really great, closer to the sound I'm always shooting for and just coming up short it seems. Sounds like you're using a quite a bit of reverb?
Oh god, that track is sort of a mess. I put it on SC so I could listen in the car and neglected to make it private. Oops. It's not a terrible mix, but it needs more sizzle and less woof in a lot of places.

Those drums are Addictive Drums, by the way. I really love the Fairfax vol. 1 kit. Super versatile, and I love how easy it is to program hi-hat articulations with AD. Really makes programming somewhat-credible drums easier.

I've never used Superior Drummer, but I would be shocked if it didn't have many of the same features.
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

Get a great drummer who records himself on there. It'll really bring the track to life.
Old 11th July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
Get a great drummer who records himself on there. It'll really bring the track to life.
Even a mediocre drummer! I'm always amazed at what a difference live drums make.
Old 11th July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Would be great for sure. Hard to find drummers to work for a split of the 10's of dollars I'll make from RF though :P
Old 11th July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpacaRoom View Post
I love how easy it is to program hi-hat articulations with AD. Really makes programming somewhat-credible drums easier..
Mind explaining that a bit more? Hats are always a pain in the ass for me when programming.
Old 11th July 2018
Quote:
Mind explaining that a bit more? Hats are always a pain in the ass for me when programming.
AD has four closed hi-hat articulations (tightly closed with tip/shaft, loosely closed with tip/shaft), four progressively more-open articulations, and a couple of miscellaneous ones (pedal, bell, splash, I think?). When I program hats, I've got all my articulations laid out in the step editor on a grid and I draw in velocities. I vary the velocities the way a drummer would: if playing 8ths, accent the quarter notes and play the off-beats more gently (although in certain styles this can be reversed), and vary the articulation the same way. A combination of realistic dynamics and the articulations can create a pretty convincing performance.
Old 11th July 2018
Lives for gear

You need to layer in more epic sounding stomp/tom/kick and claps with your drums. Pull the drums back a bit and let the We Will Rock You drums take it. That's what the kids want these days. That and some group vocals with distortion singing ooohhhohhohhhh. I know it sounds like I'm being a weenie, but I'm actually serious. It's very in demand at the moment and could likely do well for you if executed right. I think that's what you're trying to do anyway, just haven't opened up all the stops yet.
Old 11th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Would be great for sure. Hard to find drummers to work for a split of the 10's of dollars I'll make from RF though :P
RF as in royalty free? I wouldn't do that.

Push the production of the track and you could probably get this into an exclusive easily and even a buyout fee. Get this on a promo on NBC and it'll do well. So well worth getting a drummer to play for $200 or so and putting in the hours with the production around that. Or if you really don't want to do that, just push the track further.

And like Vita says, the vibe it seems like you're going for needs a more hybrid approach to production. Get some mega stomps and claps in there. Think rowdy bud drinkers watching monster trucks flying over japanese cars in a sweaty bar.
Old 12th July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post
You need to layer in more epic sounding stomp/tom/kick and claps with your drums. Pull the drums back a bit and let the We Will Rock You drums take it. That's what the kids want these days. That and some group vocals with distortion singing ooohhhohhohhhh. I know it sounds like I'm being a weenie, but I'm actually serious. It's very in demand at the moment and could likely do well for you if executed right. I think that's what you're trying to do anyway, just haven't opened up all the stops yet.
Thanks Vita, appreciate the feedback as always. So I definitely went for the whole stomp clap thing after the first chorus, you think i should have that throughout?

The feedback is great, I guess for me and the time I have into this piece, I felt like I pulled out every "stop" I had hahaha. Retooling the whole thing is definitely in the cards though.
Old 12th July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
RF as in royalty free? I wouldn't do that.

Push the production of the track and you could probably get this into an exclusive easily and even a buyout fee. Get this on a promo on NBC and it'll do well. So well worth getting a drummer to play for $200 or so and putting in the hours with the production around that. Or if you really don't want to do that, just push the track further.

And like Vita says, the vibe it seems like you're going for needs a more hybrid approach to production. Get some mega stomps and claps in there. Think rowdy bud drinkers watching monster trucks flying over japanese cars in a sweaty bar.
I know it's probably not a great way to approach it, but I'm a full-time day-jobber with a new family so the RF market provides a simple way to make some extra bucks (a few hundred a month goes a long way towards a bit of new gear/beer) without having to go through the grind of cold-calling and throwing my tracks out into the ether. I've honestly never really felt that I'm at that level where I could really push it to a library that would actually make me some money either...

Don't get me wrong, an NBC placement sounds amazing, but everything I've released through exclusive libraries (admittedly not much) has just sat/disappeared, and everything I've done on royalty free has gone on to make sales and I still control it...

I'm kinda in a weird spot with it right now, the RF market has been great to give me a reason to keep honing my chops, but i realize that i'm basically working for peanuts in the grand scheme, so I have to decide if i really want to push ahead or if this is as far as i want to take it.

I genuinely love the writing/recording process, mixing is love/hate, the business side is pure hate at this point haha... anyone out there love the mixing/business side? I'll gladly team up!
Old 12th July 2018
Quote:
I know it's probably not a great way to approach it, but I'm a full-time day-jobber with a new family so the RF market provides a simple way to make some extra bucks (a few hundred a month goes a long way towards a bit of new gear/beer) without having to go through the grind of cold-calling and throwing my tracks out into the ether. I've honestly never really felt that I'm at that level where I could really push it to a library that would actually make me some money either...

Don't get me wrong, an NBC placement sounds amazing, but everything I've released through exclusive libraries (admittedly not much) has just sat/disappeared, and everything I've done on royalty free has gone on to make sales and I still control it...

I'm kinda in a weird spot with it right now, the RF market has been great to give me a reason to keep honing my chops, but i realize that i'm basically working for peanuts in the grand scheme, so I have to decide if i really want to push ahead or if this is as far as i want to take it.

I genuinely love the writing/recording process, mixing is love/hate, the business side is pure hate at this point haha... anyone out there love the mixing/business side? I'll gladly team up!
If RF is working for you for now, stick with it. There is nothing to feel bad about.

And yes, I didn’t mind mixing or doing business. I want to get paid, so doing business is something I have grown accustomed to. I wish I stayed out west so I could meet more music library owners and music supervisors face-to-face.

Last edited by Desire Inspires; 12th July 2018 at 04:43 PM..
Old 12th July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
If RF is working for you for now, stick with it. There is nothing to feel bad about.
The peanuts they pay me... that's what I feel bad about lol!

edit: but i know i can't have my cake and eat it too... RF is simple, pays ****. Big placements pay big $$$ but you gotta work your ass off for em. Definitely understand that, just not sure how much more time i can squeeze into a day at this point.
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

sounds great , although the mastering is way too loud. It doesn't breath as well as it could

only other thing, the ride cymbal may be too loud. It should be as loud as that tambourine sample
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
That would ruin it, real drummers are generally idiots. This is perfect for a movie. You want a drum machine so the sheep that go to the theater don't have to think. If he wants a more realistic drum sound he can use more realistic samples. Of course without the emotional baggage of a real drummer. This sounds really good as good, as anything I've heard from anyone on GS. I suppose that doesn't really mean a whole lot though.
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Vita, appreciate the feedback as always. So I definitely went for the whole stomp clap thing after the first chorus, you think i should have that throughout?

The feedback is great, I guess for me and the time I have into this piece, I felt like I pulled out every "stop" I had hahaha. Retooling the whole thing is definitely in the cards though.
Your stomp claps should sound more like this.

Or this

Gyom's stuff should be a masterclass for anyone trying to do this style.
Old 12th July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:

Or this

awesome! nice references
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Or this

Nice. Might try and do an album like that before end of year.
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice. Might try and do an album like that before end of year.
It's just plain useful. Sure, it's the new ubiquitous Uke/Bell/Handclap/HeyHo music, but it sure does rock! And not everyone can pull it off convincingly, unlike the rather lo-fi threshold for the previously mentioned.

I actually love everything The Siege does. NF too, who I'm glad has finally hit his stride with the masses.
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear

Great guitar work! Like the overall sound and the vibe - a lot!!!

The drums are are fine. Maybe tune/vibe to the *grid* a tad....

For a more human drum feel: There is really no shortcut. Maybe try to micro-shift the parameters within the grid in your sq.forwards, backwards.
Just as an inspiration:

Humans are defective; and creative.

Otherwise we woud be robots.

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by color; 13th July 2018 at 05:22 AM..
Old 13th July 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
You need to layer in more epic sounding stomp/tom/kick and claps with your drums.
Totally. You could totally bring out the We Will Rock You vibe. The whole thing just needs to sound way more committed - the guitar playing should have way more attitude too. And the tambourine needs to have more of a swung feel (rhythmically it's a bit jarring and fighting against the feel of the guitars) - you could totally get away with it even a bit more sloppy. It just overall needs to sound more convincing and ballsy.

It's a cool riff and a track with much potential. Making the most of this would be straightforward enough!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search