The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How does this kind of music work for satire so well? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 17th May 2018
Gear Head

How does this kind of music work for satire so well?

Music - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do1encCa5TU

Hello all,

I know such questions are really difficult to answer and not that it will always work for satire. But in my case, I was given such references for music with a rough edit of the film which is a satire you can say.

I can totally imagine such music working with this film because its happening over a sort-of-sarcastic narration by a very dismissive sort of character. Is that why? And I see its almost always harmonic minor or derivatives. But always a minor.

Like instruments can be played to sound funny which is very obvious humour. But how does this sort of jazz create humour?

Just very very curious to know what might be the chemistry? I know we will never get absolute answers as to why some things work and its way complex than a few sentence answer.

But thought will be good to discuss. All sort of comments are welcome. Way the an instrument is played, human perception, tempo etc..

Thank you!
Old 17th May 2018
Gear Guru

It's light-hearted, smart, sophisticated, needs brilliant players, yet has an underlying minor-key melancholy to add a touch of darkness and complexity. If you can pull all those associations into your storytelling, well, smart move.
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjitter View Post
I enjoyed the clip. I saw the sideman guitarist Vinny Raniolo alongside Frank Vignola (one of Les Paul's favorite guitarists) last year. Killer killer chops and jazz understanding. I have his DVD about jazz guitar comping and chord substitutions.

Anway... why does it work? The story would have to motivate it. But I think the minor key is essential to underline the sarcasm and high invective. The speed of the notes and the lightness and swinging energy pair up with the notions of humor (lightness) and rapier-fast repartee (flying fingers).

Bunches of hunches,
Sam
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Because no other type of music can match its whimsy. It's not just satire, it fits all sorts of situations. Westernized gypsy jazz is among some of the most used music in advertising. What other kind of music can you legitimately say is whimsical?
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Zappa called it "putting the eyebrows on it".
Old 19th May 2018
Gear Head

Hey thanks for the replies all!
@Sam Watson wow that must have been fun.. very true, the minor seems to add the "hurt" and the light swing manages to keep it humorous.. and those articulations I think. They are just too good!
@Brent Hahn oh ya, the associations work, but pulling it off will be a whole different game. Anyways I am going to enjoy composing this sort of music.
@VitaEtMusica Yes I have been thinking very hard if there is any other music, genre that is so whimsical? Still nothing. Anyone?

But speaking of Gypsy Jazz, I do understand the Jazz bit in it, but not the Gypsy influences. Is it the articulations, the kind of tunes or the whimsy in playing?

Would be great to hear from you people.
Thanks again!
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search