The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Neighboring Rights
Old 30th March 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
Really depends on the writer. Only you would know for yourself. I did about 140 last year and 140 year before that. I reckon I'll do 100 this year.

Advice for picking good libraries, find what music is being used on shows (sometimes say at end), meet other library composers better than you, not just to fish info from them, but get to know them. You may end up co-writing with them, they may refer you to a library that doesn't really take on new writers just from a cold email. And then, there's trial and error. One library that might be good in 2015 isn't very good in 2020. Work, periodically revaluate, adjust, evolve etc.

Thanks.

I am not planning on trying to make money with this but I am interested in how things actually work in real life.
Old 30th March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by typical user View Post
Is there a risk that some nerd could program a machine to crank out hundreds of good tracks a day and really destroy this market?
Don't need a nerd with a machine to do accomplish that. A couple hundred thousand guys with laptops pull off the same thing. Compared to 20 years ago, the market is destroyed. Too much music, diminishing payments due to streaming, higher costs of living. There's no longer a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow....
Old 30th March 2019
Quote:

Is there a risk that some nerd could program a machine to crank out hundreds of good tracks a day and really destroy this market?
Please, don’t call me a nerd.
Old 30th March 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Don't need a nerd with a machine to do accomplish that. A couple hundred thousand guys with laptops pull off the same thing. Compared to 20 years ago, the market is destroyed. Too much music, diminishing payments due to streaming, higher costs of living. There's no longer a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow....

pretty much what happened to stock photos , and writing for magazines, as well as art and other similar IP related tasks that the internet destroyed the value of
Old 30th March 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Please, don’t call me a nerd.
Okay.

So are you a genius that is programming a computer to crank out oodles of new tracks every day to flood the market with ?
Old 30th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's not 20 years ago now though. Comparing anything to 20 years ago will always yield different outcomes. I'm not sure of the point of even comparing? Unless the person looking to get into library music now was doing library music 20 years ago, it doesn't really matter.

I was skipping homework to learn Iron Maiden riffs convinced I'd go grow up to go tour with Metallica 20 years ago.
Old 30th March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
Unless the person looking to get into library music now was doing library music 20 years ago, it doesn't really matter.
I was. And to me, it does matter.....

You could call it 10 years if it makes you feel better. Result is still the same.
Old 30th March 2019
Quote:
Okay.

So are you a genius that is programming a computer to crank out oodles of new tracks every day to flood the market with ?
Please, don’t call me a genius.
Old 30th March 2019
Quote:
Compared to 20 years ago, the market is destroyed. Too much music, diminishing payments due to streaming, higher costs of living. There's no longer a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow....
Music sounds bleak as far as a career. But as far as creative potential, the sky is the limit.

I’d tell young folks to focus on being creative and making great music. Work with other people to get your music promoted and to get in front of people. There are thousands of people who want to help exploit talent.

A composer will worry himself/herself to death worrying about money. Get other people to find your lifestyle while you create music you love.

Forget this “make music to help sell our product or promote our service” crap. If your music becomes important enough, you will have people coming to you to find your lifestyle while you create music you love.
Old 30th March 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Please, don’t call me a genius.
Okay what do you want to be called?

Can I call you Ray
Can I call you Jay
should i call you mr johnson
or what ............
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Wondering if anyone has explored Kobalt's NR services? Very little info on their website. Wonder what the cuts are and if their reach goes beyond digital streaming services? Perhaps it was mentioned here already and I forgot... it happens.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post
Wondering if anyone has explored Kobalt's NR services? Very little info on their website. Wonder what the cuts are and if their reach goes beyond digital streaming services? Perhaps it was mentioned here already and I forgot... it happens.
I'd like to know how their customer service is on this aspect..

I did an admin deal with Kobalt for one of my Asian publishing companies, wondering if their NR division has the same attention of service.

That being said, I'm happy with my current NR company!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFulford View Post
I'd like to know how their customer service is on this aspect..

I did an admin deal with Kobalt for one of my Asian publishing companies, wondering if their NR division has the same attention of service.

That being said, I'm happy with my current NR company!
That's good to hear! Who is your NR company?!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search