The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Neighboring Rights
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

Spoke to a couple of composer friends who are signed up for neighbouring rights, largely with Rident and have been a while. Bare in mind NRG is just getting started and there's a lot of admin for them to do (especially with so many folks signing up), but there's definitely money out there if you have a lot of music in constant use. I'm talking 5 figures a year with the people I know.
Old 13th March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
but there's definitely money out there if you have a lot of music in constant use.
Amber - underscore, themes, radio, adverts, streaming, youtube??? Where's the heat of the payments coming from?
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Amber - underscore, themes, radio, adverts, streaming, youtube??? Where's the heat of the payments coming from?
I'll investigate further and let you know when I know.
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Let me know too, huh?
Old 13th March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thx Amber!!
Old 13th March 2019
I’m reaching out to them to get registered. I got a lot of stuff out there that I’m probably not being paid for.
Old 13th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post
Nice, Gyom. I think you made the right move. Try to have patience as the signup is just the first step, then comes the relentless barrage of contracts. Just stick with it... it will be VERY well worth your time.
Thank you! Long time no speak, I hope all is well with you. I actually signed up after reading your post about it.

Last edited by MRose; 14th March 2019 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: not sure why there was a quetion mark :-D
Old 14th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Spoke to a couple of composer friends who are signed up for neighbouring rights, largely with Rident and have been a while. Bare in mind NRG is just getting started and there's a lot of admin for them to do (especially with so many folks signing up), but there's definitely money out there if you have a lot of music in constant use. I'm talking 5 figures a year with the people I know.
I'd never heard of Rident but it looks interesting. Especially if there are other composers who have a track record of receiving checks from Rident - that is really positive.

Maybe I'll try calling Rident. I would also be really interested to hear where the bulk of royalties are coming from.. streaming / TV etc.
Old 18th March 2019
Here for the gear

just a short update....I am with NRG now for Europe, except Germany, there I am still with GVL and for the rest of the world I am with Rident now. About Brazil, it`s really crazy, I received a couple thousand $ only from this country....not that bad
Old 18th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanJay View Post
just a short update....I am with NRG now for Europe, except Germany, there I am still with GVL and for the rest of the world I am with Rident now. About Brazil, it`s really crazy, I received a couple thousand $ only from this country....not that bad
Wow.. no kidding. So Rident got you those couple thousand from Brazil then, right?
Old 18th March 2019
Lives for gear

Brazil in general seems to be good. Definitely some of the highest royalty rates I see on my PRS statement.
Old 19th March 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Does that mean that NRG do not collect global royalties (from countries such as Brazil)? Is there a reason you chose GVL for Germany, NRG for Europe and Rident for the rest of the world? Many thanks.
Old 19th March 2019
Gear Maniac

NRG definitely the best.
Old 20th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornemalvo View Post
NRG definitely the best.
Is that based on personal experience?
Old 20th March 2019
Quote:
the highest single NR payment I have seen to a composer for a single track used over and over in a Brazilian novella was $80k. I personally saw the check. I've seen a few $20k to $30k checks too... Most of the time it's anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand.

In Brazil anyway, they only pay NR royalties on in-show TV uses.. they do not pay on TV Commercials and TV Promos.

But it varies wildly from country to country. Some countries might pay NR on TV commercials.
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
the highest single NR payment I have seen to a composer for a single track used over and over in a Brazilian novella was $80k. I personally saw the check. I've seen a few $20k to $30k checks too... Most of the time it's anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand.

In Brazil anyway, they only pay NR royalties on in-show TV uses.. they do not pay on TV Commercials and TV Promos.

But it varies wildly from country to country. Some countries might pay NR on TV commercials.
Don't suppose the $80k one is for me and you're due to post it any day?
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
No - it was the one for me, and Etch has already sent it to me
Old 21st March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:

That is absolutely insane! Wow. But wait, do you have your own NR agency? As in, you're collecting for composers?
Old 21st March 2019
Quote:
No, it was for Eddie and it was a couple of years ago.

Besides NR royalties are paid to the Artist directly from the collection agency you are signed up with. They send a check directly to the Artist/composer and a check directly to the label/library.
Old 21st March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, it was for Eddie and it was a couple of years ago.

Besides NR royalties are paid to the Artist directly from the collection agency you are signed up with. They send a check directly to the Artist/composer and a check directly to the label/library.
Was only joking, I'm all signed up for neighbouring rights already. But do have a lot of stuff happening (especially with you guys) in Brazil so fingers crossed.

Hope you're feeling better!
Old 21st March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
That is absolutely insane! Wow. But wait, do you have your own NR agency? As in, you're collecting for composers?
No, I saw the label side check and the composer took a pic of his check to show people because he just couldn’t believe it. Lol

Just to reiterate... those super big checks for a single use are the exceptions. Most of the time it’s hundreds to thousands.

And again, NR royalties in Brazil, at least for library composers, comes from in-show placements. There is no NR down there for Commercials, promos, trailers, etc...
Old 21st March 2019
Quote:
Was only joking, I'm all signed up for neighbouring rights already. But do have a lot of stuff happening (especially with you guys) in Brazil so fingers crossed.

Hope you're feeling better!
Look at your PRO statements for brazil. If it is itemized and you can see how many in-show placements you have, then you can gauge if you might make some NR Royalties.
Old 22nd March 2019
Lives for gear

For those who have signed up for NR - have you received any retroactive back pymts for the past few years? Or is this only moving fwd?
Old 27th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
For those who have signed up for NR - have you received any retroactive back pymts for the past few years? Or is this only moving fwd?
I think the local societies in each country hold the royalties for 3 years... after that they get folded back into the general fund for the society.
Old 27th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think the local societies in each country hold the royalties for 3 years... after that they get folded back into the general fund for the society.
I was told it was 2 yrs, but it could be 3... who knows.

Just wondering if anyone has gotten any retroactive back pymts after signing up.
Old 29th March 2019
Lives for gear

So, the answer is yes, there are back/retro pymts, but I have to wait 'till fall :/
Old 30th March 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
How much do you call a lot of music.

How do you get it into constant use when there is so much other stuff out there.
Old 30th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by typical user View Post
How much do you call a lot of music.

How do you get it into constant use when there is so much other stuff out there.
350 to 900 tracks? I know of examples from lower end amount and high end amount.

How to get it into constant use? Not much you can do there. Just write great well produced music, write nearly every day and pick your libraries wisely.
Old 30th March 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
350 to 900 tracks? I know of examples from lower end amount and high end amount.

How to get it into constant use? Not much you can do there. Just write great well produced music, write nearly every day and pick your libraries wisely.

Thanks.

How long does it take to write and do for example ~600 well produced tracks?

What advice do you have to picking libraries ?

Is there a risk that some nerd could program a machine to crank out hundreds of good tracks a day and really destroy this market?
Old 30th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by typical user View Post
Thanks.

How long does it take to write and do for example ~600 well produced tracks?

What advice do you have to picking libraries ?

Is there a risk that some nerd could program a machine to crank out hundreds of good tracks a day and really destroy this market?
Really depends on the writer. Only you would know for yourself. I did about 140 last year and 140 year before that. I reckon I'll do 100 this year.

Advice for picking good libraries, find what music is being used on shows (sometimes say at end), meet other library composers better than you, not just to fish info from them, but get to know them. You may end up co-writing with them, they may refer you to a library that doesn't really take on new writers just from a cold email. And then, there's trial and error. One library that might be good in 2015 isn't very good in 2020. Work, periodically revaluate, adjust, evolve etc.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search