The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Neighboring Rights
Old 26th February 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrenebbage View Post
I signed up with NRG and have spoken to Einar a couple of times. I didn't get any sketchy vibes from him at all...very clear, responsive, direct communication so far. He was formerly at Apollo and seems to have a long history of doing legitimate business in Europe. I feel good about NRG thus far, but it might be worth checking in with him yourself.
Hi - I still can't find any mention of someone having received a payment from NRG. I was told the first payment would be before the end of this month. Have you been told the same thing?
Old 26th February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hey. I hope you don't mind me asking, but have you ever received a payment from NRG? I signed up with them in August 2018. They informed me that the first payment would be before the end of February 2019, but still no sign.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawglee View Post
Hi - I still can't find any mention of someone having received a payment from NRG. I was told the first payment would be before the end of this month. Have you been told the same thing?
This is a good question. Has anyone actually been paid anything by them?

Also, Amber, I would say that being hounded by a place isn't usually a good sign.
Old 26th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohwell View Post

Also, Amber, I would say that being hounded by a place isn't usually a good sign.
If Amber said they haven't followed up with him..would you say that "not being followed up with by a place isn't usually a good sign"?
Old 26th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

NRG is a new company and has launched a massive undertaking. In a lot of ways they seem to be learning as they go, which is fine. From my perspective they adapt quickly.

I think anyone signing up for a royalty bearing opportunity who expects to be paid within 6 months is quite optimistic, especially royalties from foreign entities. I don't expect any foreign performance royalties on new works from ASCAP to show up sooner than 2 years out. So, if NRG can start sending checks within a year I would be extremely impressed. I think it's a little too early to be complaining about not receiving royalty payments, especially when you wouldn't even have access to, or knowledge of, these payments without NRG.

Time will tell, but from my experience NRG appears to be a related rights bulldog.

As far as hounding, I love that they don't just give up on composers. How often do companies these days just suck? So often if you aren't proactive, a company just lets you and your situation fall by the wayside. NRG isn't hounding you for money, they're hounding you to finish what you started so they can go collect your money for you. The hounding is them urging you to sign up for each NR collection agency around the world.

Anyway, if/when the money comes I expect many of you will be at NRG's doorstep with hat in hands. If it doesn't, well that will be disappointing and a very long, arduous, costly exercise in time wasting on NRG's part.
Old 26th February 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post
NRG is a new company and has launched a massive undertaking. In a lot of ways they seem to be learning as they go, which is fine. From my perspective they adapt quickly.

I think anyone signing up for a royalty bearing opportunity who expects to be paid within 6 months is quite optimistic, especially royalties from foreign entities. I don't expect any foreign performance royalties on new works from ASCAP to show up sooner than 2 years out. So, if NRG can start sending checks within a year I would be extremely impressed. I think it's a little too early to be complaining about not receiving royalty payments, especially when you wouldn't even have access to, or knowledge of, these payments without NRG.

Time will tell, but from my experience NRG appears to be a related rights bulldog.

As far as hounding, I love that they don't just give up on composers. How often do companies these days just suck? So often if you aren't proactive, a company just lets you and your situation fall by the wayside. NRG isn't hounding you for money, they're hounding you to finish what you started so they can go collect your money for you. The hounding is them urging you to sign up for each NR collection agency around the world.

Anyway, if/when the money comes I expect many of you will be at NRG's doorstep with hat in hands. If it doesn't, well that will be disappointing and a very long, arduous, costly exercise in time wasting on NRG's part.
I think you're right. This must be a complex undertaking for them, and as you say they seem to be learning as they go along. I had documents to sign this month in order to register with countries that require physical copies of the membership papers.

The only reason I was commenting on the post was that NRG had informed me that the first royalty statement would be issued in February. I had no expectation that they would account within 6 months, but as they had told me a statement would be issued, I was expecting one.
Old 27th February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post

Quote:
If AMBER said they haven't followed up with him..would you say that "not being followed up with by a place isn't usually a good sign"?
Yea good points and it's reasonable to see it this way.

It's just that when I summarize it in my head I get this:

A new company in eastern europe wants me to send them my SSN, scan of my passport, bank routing number, bank account number, birthdate and full name. They haven't taken the time to explain why they need the SSN. It could all be legit, but it could also be quite scary.
Old 27th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

A new company in eastern europe wants me to send them my SSN, scan of my passport, bank routing number, bank account number, birthdate and full name. They haven't taken the time to explain why they need the SSN. It could all be legit, but it could also be quite scary.
As has been said before, you are entering into an arrangement for them to collect royalties on your behalf. No different from BMI, ASCAP, SESAC, Soundexchange...each of those companies require similar info. I'd be concerned if NRG didn't have a thorough identity verification process.
Old 27th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

VitaEtMusica already asked your question about income from NRG...then you ask the same question with different wording..

Maybe it's best to write off NRG as something in which you're not willing to participate. There are other neighboring rights collection companies you can use...

Last edited by JohnFulford; 27th February 2019 at 02:02 AM.. Reason: I used Vita's real first name oops
Old 27th February 2019
Lives for gear

Just for record, for me, them hounding me is good because it says there's something in it for them, which means there's something in it for me hopefully. When I spoke the the US based company, he could tell me whether there was much out there for me or not. Like I said, I like to think NRG have done same and that I'm worth hounding. If not, no worries.

I often have what feels like 100s of things to address and take care of and some things have to fall by wayside. If Sarah hadn't kept emailing or calling me, I'd have not got round to doing it for a while. So for me, that's handy. Squeaky wheel gets the oil.

And also, I know people who have been paid by NRG.
Old 27th February 2019
Lives for gear

Jeff never came back to report on SoundExchange or if Sarah from NRG got back to him...
Old 27th February 2019
Lives for gear

Am supposedly receiving an NRG call tomorrow....

SE does not do TV.

Cheers.
Old 28th February 2019
Lives for gear

I got my statement early this morning.
Old 28th February 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFulford View Post
Me too - for zero Euros.
Old 1st March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
And.....?
Old 1st March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Me too - for zero Euros.
That doesn't sound so promising, assuming this is your first statement I would have expected NRG to have got back royalties accumulated and due to you, right?
Old 1st March 2019
Mrx
Gear Addict

I've been a ppl member in uk for many years (not library music) and I think the most I've ever received was £5. For that reason I don't really expect anything from neighbouring rights. If something turns up, great but it's not something I bank on.
Old 1st March 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
That doesn't sound so promising, assuming this is your first statement I would have expected NRG to have got back royalties accumulated and due to you, right?
I think so, especially as they put a great deal of pressure for me to register before the 'deadline' in August.

Quote 'Please send them back to us by tomorrow (Wednesday, August 29th) by 5pm so we can meet the deadline. If we don't register you in time, this could potentially mean a loss of a portion of your royalties, so it's very important that we receive this as soon as possible.'

I think this was just to get me to register in the first place. Anyway, I don't know. I was worried about fraud initially, so I really don't mind what happens next. Fingers crossed.
Old 1st March 2019
Here for the gear

Update from NRG

​​Hi all,
​​
​​I’m Einar, partner at NRG.
​​
​​We are thrilled to see the community of production music composers taking interest in the neighbouring rights.
​​
​​I hope you dont mind if I clarify couple of the questions and comments in this discussion directly.
​​
​​We have started our operation in April of 2018 and there were several society deadlines in May and June already. Unfortunately we can not know the amounts of royalties waiting for any individual performer before we do the whole registration process and as such we took the safe approach and tried to register everyone as soon as possible. Otherwise we would be risking a preclusion (statute of limitation) running on parts of the income.
​​
​​As an example we needed to be registered with GVL in Germany before 31st of May 2018 to be a part of their 2018 distribution. Unfortunately several of the societies this year postponed their distributions. They apparently have a real trouble processing a lot of the new registrations coming to them. You can read about it for example here on the official site of GVL: Payout period postponement: Important information for artists | GVL
​​
​​As such we are still waiting for the majority of the first distribution for most of the societies.
​​
​​We have this week sent out statements for those who have signed with us in 2018, but did not receive any income yet. Our plan was to send out to those who we have received income for too (there are tens of those). However we have encountered some VAT issues which needed to be sorted first. We are expecting to resolve this in a couple days.
​​
​​Generally the distribution of neighbouring right royalties takes time and you all have experience with that from your PROs over the years. This is a very new revenue stream for production music and it means there are some challenges registering such wast number of people and repertoire for the societies.
​​
​​We have already registered in 11 societies since we started in April and we have collected and are distributing now tens of thousands of Euros to performers already in our first year of operation. Most of the performers that we distributed royalties to have never before received any royalties from this source.
​​
​​We are optimistic for the future of production music in neighbouring rights.
​​
​​Please let me know personally if you have any questions or comments. We want to be completely transparent about everything we are doing on your behalf.
​​
​​All the best,
​​Einar Helde
​​Co-founder of NRG Agency
​​
Old 1st March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
I think so, especially as they put a great deal of pressure for me to register before the 'deadline' in August.

Quote 'Please send them back to us by tomorrow (Wednesday, August 29th) by 5pm so we can meet the deadline. If we don't register you in time, this could potentially mean a loss of a portion of your royalties, so it's very important that we receive this as soon as possible.'

I think this was just to get me to register in the first place. Anyway, I don't know. I was worried about fraud initially, so I really don't mind what happens next. Fingers crossed.
Well, that pretty much ends it for me. I guess I'll pass for now. Never did hear back from them on why our SSN is needed - I want to hear from them, not from other composers. Maybe Einar can answer here.
Old 1st March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
And.....?
Maybe it was 0 too like mawglees...
Old 1st March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe it was 0 too like mawglees...

Maybe
Old 2nd March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe
C'mon man! What's the good word?

Not asking for any $ figures here... how about a %? Or yes/no is/isn't worth it?
Old 2nd March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
C'mon man! What's the good word?

Not asking for any $ figures here... how about a %? Or yes/no is/isn't worth it?
Ask not what John can do for you; ask what you can do for yourself.

Call them, and find out what you are looking for. Again, # is on their site. Don't be shy now!
Old 2nd March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post

Call them, and find out what you are looking for. Again, # is on their site. Don't be shy now!
ZZzzziiinnng
Old 2nd March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post

You funny!

1. They are not going to tell me how JF did. Only JF can tell us that.

2. If you were following along, you'd see that I DID call them. Still waiting to hear back.

In the meantime... JF - how'd you do?
Old 2nd March 2019
Gear Maniac

NRG are gonna be busy! Seems to me they are inundated with applications so I hope they have enough staff to handle it! If they take too many composers on I would imagine it is gonna be quite hard to administer effectively.
Old 5th March 2019
Lives for gear

Finally spoke w/Sarah Coffey. Here's the deal:

They do TV, unlike Soundexchange.

They collect from all societies in all countries that have NR (USA and UK not incl.)

Their cut is 15%.

They do the ppwk, sign the composer up, collect on the composers behalf, and take care of everything related to NR. Technically, the composer can do this by him/herself, but for me, I'd rather have someone else do all the work, not pay them anything up front, and have them take 15% of the gross. This way I can concentrate on composing, and not have to worry about chasing down money.

They need the SS# for tax purposes, and they need the Passport as a valid form of ID. Not for them, but for the NR societies in each country. According to Sarah, a valid DL, with photo and DOB, is not a valid form of ID in Europe (talking European w/Euro DL), so it can't be in this case either. Which is why they offer the DL and Birth Cert as an alternative, which apparently is ok, when you have both together. If I were signing up with each society myself, those societies would be requiring my Passport anyway. Everything is completely secure, encrypted, etc.

They pay out 1x per year, so it's not quarterly like USA PROs.

All the NR monies are collected by the appropriate society, regardless of whether or not a composer is signed up. Whoever is signed up, collects their share. Any money that is not distributed, is held for two years. If not collected after that, it goes into some pool, but Sarah is not sure what actually happens to it after that.

With the understanding that there is no way to correctly answer, I asked Sarah if it would be possible to get some rough idea of what I might see. She says as a general rule, it's about 15% of your PRO earnings. So, if my Int. earnings are 35k/yr (which is right around what it is), I would see about 5k per year extra? Yes. But she made it a point to not hold her to that, as it is impossible to give an accurate estimate. Which, of course, is understandable.

So, I am going to do it. I'll see what happens next year, but even if it's only a few hundred - hey, that's a few hundred that I didn't have otherwise, and it ain't costing me anything but a little time to sign up.

And post here. You guys owe me $20 each.

Cheers.
Old 5th March 2019
Mrx
Gear Addict

Thanks Jeff. Appreciate it.
Old 12th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Thank you everyone for chiming in. I actually had never heard of Neighboring rights. My music being used worldwide in a lot of formats (TV, movies, commercials, radio...) it made total sense to register.

After careful consideration and some reassurance from everyone including someone from NRG, I went ahead and registered.

Time will tell if it's worth it, I feel like it might be well worth it considering signup time took 10 minutes .

Last edited by MRose; 12th March 2019 at 11:45 PM..
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRose View Post
Thank you everyone for chiming in. I actually had never heard of Neighboring rights. My music being used worldwide in a lot of formats (TV, movies, commercials, radio...) it made total sense to register.

After careful consideration and some reassurance from everyone including someone from NRG, I went ahead and registered.

Time will tell if it's worth it, I feel like it might be well worth it considering signup time took 10 minutes .
Nice, Gyom. I think you made the right move. Try to have patience as the signup is just the first step, then comes the relentless barrage of contracts. Just stick with it... it will be VERY well worth your time.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search