The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neighboring Rights Condenser Microphones
Old 4 weeks ago
  #31
Lives for gear
 

I signed up with NRG and have spoken to Einar a couple of times. I didn't get any sketchy vibes from him at all...very clear, responsive, direct communication so far. He was formerly at Apollo and seems to have a long history of doing legitimate business in Europe. I feel good about NRG thus far, but it might be worth checking in with him yourself.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #32
Mrx
Gear Addict
 

Yes it feels a bit uncomfortable handing this info over but I got contacted by them initially via the head of a music library I did some work for some years back and he was letting me know he had something to do with NRG which I took as a good sign.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #33
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Looking into signing up for this w/NRG.

BEFORE I sign up, they want:

Full name
Birth Date
Address
Bank acct # and routing #
Full Social Security #
Passport - full scan with photo

Is this a scam, or a joke, or....?
Has anyone asked NRG what they need your social security number, birth date and passport scan for?

None of my publishers have asked for these three things, and they are 'big' publishers who also take everything very seriously.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #34
Lives for gear
 
Jeff Hayat's Avatar
 

Thanks guys.

I really didn't mean to suggest this is a scam; that was just a little frustration with life rearing it's ugly head there. I am sure it is legit; it's just that they are asking for too much, too soon. Bank acct info (ok, to wire money to) should come later - not before you sign up. And passport???

And the thing that really isn't helping things, is the fact that after recvg a welcome email, I have left two vms for a rep, who has not called me back.

Has anyone asked NRG what they need your social security number, birth date and passport scan for?

Will ask when I speak to someone.

Cheers.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #35
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Thanks guys.

I really didn't mean to suggest this is a scam; that was just a little frustration with life rearing it's ugly head there. I am sure it is legit; it's just that they are asking for too much, too soon. Bank acct info (ok, to wire money to) should come later - not before you sign up. And passport???

And the thing that really isn't helping things, is the fact that after recvg a welcome email, I have left two vms for a rep, who has not called me back.

Has anyone asked NRG what they need your social security number, birth date and passport scan for?

Will ask when I speak to someone.

Cheers.
I'll be interested to hear what reasons they give! Thanks for asking them.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #36
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
I'll be interested to hear what reasons they give! Thanks for asking them.
I'm guessing so people don't sign up as "Hans Zimmer" and/or try to evade taxes from the country in which the royalties are collected and the country of the artists' residence..
Old 4 weeks ago
  #37
Lives for gear
 
Jeff Hayat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFulford View Post
I'm guessing so people don't sign up as "Hans Zimmer" and/or try to evade taxes from the country in which the royalties are collected and the country of the artists' residence..
Not a reason to ask for ALL of that info up front, BEFORE you have a relationship with them. That can come after.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #38
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Not a reason to ask for ALL of that info up front, BEFORE you have a relationship with them. That can come after.
Yeah, not a fan of that either. There's got to be a better way to confirm someone's identity. So much identity theft going on that even if they are OK (and I'm sure they are) having that info floating around for someone else to hack makes me nervous.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #39
Lives for gear
 
VitaEtMusica's Avatar
 

I asked Sarah Coffey (NRG) last week a little about the process. They are currently translating INTERGRAM statements from Czech to English and will be sending the first NRG statements in the next couple weeks. The statements we received last week were directly from INTERGRAM. NRG will collect the money from INTERGRAM then distribute the money to performers. You guys can all hang tight until we confirm that we have money deposited to our accounts. So far, it looks very promising.

As for passports, etc. A passport is the only accepted form of identification abroad that has your matching signature. Foreign countries tax services and collection agencies are not currently accepting your high school ID card. You know I'm just giving y'all a hard time, but a passport is the only card that offers conclusive proof of US citizenship. Anyone requesting this info should give you serious pause. But, anytime they've requested any of this info it's been in conjunction with the specific requirements of a given country's collection agency. All of them are different. Some countries didn't require a passport, but the passport was provided as the gold standard of ID's. All of the info is exchanged through very secure means via Eversign (encrypted uploads, etc), not via email.

Again, if you're feeling super unsure just hang tight, and we'll be able to tell you if it's legit or not within a month. Food for thought... NRG is a spinoff/subsidiary of Studio Fontana, who have been in the library biz for about 23 years now.

Sarah has a US number you can call if you have any questions. I believe she's from the US, so language won't be a barrier (although I've found everyone I've contacted at NRG speaks English very well). If you want Sarah's number send me a PM.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #40
Lives for gear
 
Jeff Hayat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post
Sarah has a US number you can call if you have any questions. I believe she's from the US, so language won't be a barrier (although I've found everyone I've contacted at NRG speaks English very well). If you want Sarah's number send me a PM.
Just left a third message for Sarah.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #41
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post
I asked Sarah Coffey (NRG) last week a little about the process. They are currently translating INTERGRAM statements from Czech to English and will be sending the first NRG statements in the next couple weeks. The statements we received last week were directly from INTERGRAM. NRG will collect the money from INTERGRAM then distribute the money to performers. You guys can all hang tight until we confirm that we have money deposited to our accounts. So far, it looks very promising.

As for passports, etc. A passport is the only accepted form of identification abroad that has your matching signature. Foreign countries tax services and collection agencies are not currently accepting your high school ID card. You know I'm just giving y'all a hard time, but a passport is the only card that offers conclusive proof of US citizenship. Anyone requesting this info should give you serious pause. But, anytime they've requested any of this info it's been in conjunction with the specific requirements of a given country's collection agency. All of them are different. Some countries didn't require a passport, but the passport was provided as the gold standard of ID's. All of the info is exchanged through very secure means via Eversign (encrypted uploads, etc), not via email.

Again, if you're feeling super unsure just hang tight, and we'll be able to tell you if it's legit or not within a month. Food for thought... NRG is a spinoff/subsidiary of Studio Fontana, who have been in the library biz for about 23 years now.

Sarah has a US number you can call if you have any questions. I believe she's from the US, so language won't be a barrier (although I've found everyone I've contacted at NRG speaks English very well). If you want Sarah's number send me a PM.
it was the SS Number that bothers me. Having that BEFORE you sign? Why is that necessary? I understand the passport deal....
Old 4 weeks ago
  #42
Lives for gear
 
Jeff Hayat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post
... but a passport is the only card that offers conclusive proof of US citizenship. Anyone requesting this info should give you serious pause. But, anytime they've requested any of this info it's been in conjunction with the specific requirements of a given country's collection agency. All of them are different. Some countries didn't require a passport, but the passport was provided as the gold standard of ID's. All of the info is exchanged through very secure means via Eversign (encrypted uploads, etc), not via email.
Ok, that means they don't need the SS#


And what's wrong with a signed DL? Passports are just as easy - if not easier - to fake in the digital realm.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #43
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Passports are just as easy - if not easier - to fake in the digital realm.
Yup - I ordered my HZ and JW passports online when I saw this thread. Still waiting for them to show up though...
Old 3 weeks ago
  #44
Lives for gear
 

My guess is that they assume you are signing up with them and are just collecting the info they need to do so...are you not?

They are basically functioning like a PRO. You need to supply similar info to a PRO during the application/affiliation process.

NRG collects royalties from a bunch of different countries, each one with their own requirements. You are electing for NRG to collect on your behalf, so they have to have a ton of documentation in place for identity and tax reasons...PRO's around the world aren't going to send your royalties to NRG just because they claim to represent you. They need to have proof of your identity and proof that you've willingly entered into this arrangement.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #45
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFulford View Post
I'm guessing so people don't sign up as "Hans Zimmer" and/or try to evade taxes from the country in which the royalties are collected and the country of the artists' residence..
I don't remember my PRO ever asking for a scan of my passport or my SSN.

I don't think they are in the area of tax evasion policing either. Also, what tax would be due on royalties from the country in which royalties are collected and how would it be paid by the composer? When ASCAP pays you, royalties were already withheld in the foreign country if necessary (as far as I know).

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of some extra revenue from NRG, but I'm not so thrilled about sending those details to a website based in Easter Europe, or in fact, to anyone, in any country, anywhere. Even a CPA here in the US, when asking for your SSN would normally want you to send it 'securely' and not just in email.

Also, when it's so important to see a passport to verify identity, wouldn't the real version need to be seen and not a scan or photocopy?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #46
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
I don't remember my PRO ever asking for a scan of my passport or my SSN.

I don't think they are in the area of tax evasion policing either. Also, what tax would be due on royalties from the country in which royalties are collected and how would it be paid by the composer? When ASCAP pays you, royalties were already withheld in the foreign country if necessary (as far as I know).

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of some extra revenue from NRG, but I'm not so thrilled about sending those details to a website based in Easter Europe, or in fact, to anyone, in any country, anywhere. Even a CPA here in the US, when asking for your SSN would normally want you to send it 'securely' and not just in email.

Also, when it's so important to see a passport to verify identity, wouldn't the real version need to be seen and not a scan or photocopy?
I vividly remember ASCAP asking for my SSN (although this might have changed recently without my knowledge)..

Also I've been required to submit a copy of my passport (without presenting the original) for several financial transactions..I'm not jazzed about sending this info but sometimes it has to be done.

Isn't NRG owned by Studio Fontana? I think it's the same people but I could be wrong. If they're respected enough to handle WCPM's affairs in Czech Republic, they're fine by me!

Of course YMMV...
Old 3 weeks ago
  #47
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFulford View Post
I vividly remember ASCAP asking for my SSN (although this might have changed recently without my knowledge)..

Also I've been required to submit a copy of my passport (without presenting the original) for several financial transactions..I'm not jazzed about sending this info but sometimes it has to be done.

Isn't NRG owned by Studio Fontana? I think it's the same people but I could be wrong. If they're respected enough to handle WCPM's affairs in Czech Republic, they're fine by me!

Of course YMMV...
Respect to you for not escalating this. Yea you're probably right that ASCAP asked for an SSN. I've been asked for a copy of passport in some instances, but when it's something very important either that copy has to be notarized, or they have to see the original.

NRG does seem to have some reputable reccomendations and background but the signup form really has me hesitating..
Old 3 weeks ago
  #48
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post
I asked Sarah Coffey (NRG) last week a little about the process. They are currently translating INTERGRAM statements from Czech to English and will be sending the first NRG statements in the next couple weeks. The statements we received last week were directly from INTERGRAM. NRG will collect the money from INTERGRAM then distribute the money to performers. You guys can all hang tight until we confirm that we have money deposited to our accounts. So far, it looks very promising.

As for passports, etc. A passport is the only accepted form of identification abroad that has your matching signature. Foreign countries tax services and collection agencies are not currently accepting your high school ID card. You know I'm just giving y'all a hard time, but a passport is the only card that offers conclusive proof of US citizenship. Anyone requesting this info should give you serious pause. But, anytime they've requested any of this info it's been in conjunction with the specific requirements of a given country's collection agency. All of them are different. Some countries didn't require a passport, but the passport was provided as the gold standard of ID's. All of the info is exchanged through very secure means via Eversign (encrypted uploads, etc), not via email.

Again, if you're feeling super unsure just hang tight, and we'll be able to tell you if it's legit or not within a month. Food for thought... NRG is a spinoff/subsidiary of Studio Fontana, who have been in the library biz for about 23 years now.

Sarah has a US number you can call if you have any questions. I believe she's from the US, so language won't be a barrier (although I've found everyone I've contacted at NRG speaks English very well). If you want Sarah's number send me a PM.
Is there anything you could say about how promising it's looking? Even if not a raw figure for expected royalties, maybe as a percentage of annual broadcast royalties? E.g. is it perhaps an extra 1%, 10%, 20% etc of annual broadcast?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
Has anyone asked NRG what they need your social security number, birth date and passport scan for?

None of my publishers have asked for these three things, and they are 'big' publishers who also take everything very seriously.
They need your SSN number for tax purposes. They report your foreign income to the IRS.

They need your passport to validate your country of origin. If you read how Neighboring Rights work, each country has different stipulations. Some countries will ONLY pay NR to composers who are from their country... so if you aren't a french citizen, no NR from France... and so on... other countries will pay foreigners from signatory countries but will not pay foreigners from non-signatory countries (the US is a non-signatory country). And lastly some other countries will pay NR to any other NR society regardless of the performer's country of origin.

That is why they need a copy of your passport, to show which country you come from regardless of where the NR collection agency is from.

Birth date is most likely to differentiate you from any other performer with registered works that has the same name as you now or in the future.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #50
Lives for gear
 
Jeff Hayat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
They need your passport to validate your country of origin. If you read how Neighboring Rights work, each country has different stipulations. Some countries will ONLY pay NR to composers who are from their country... so if you aren't a french citizen, no NR from France... and so on... other countries will pay foreigners from signatory countries but will not pay foreigners from non-signatory countries (the US is a non-signatory country). And lastly some other countries will pay NR to any other NR society regardless of the performer's country of origin.
That's all well and good, but I stand firm on my feelings of they should not be asking for this BEFORE you have a relationship with them.

Cheers.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
That's all well and good, but I stand firm on my feelings of they should not be asking for this BEFORE you have a relationship with them.

Cheers.
I agree 100%.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #52
Lives for gear
 
VitaEtMusica's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
Is there anything you could say about how promising it's looking? Even if not a raw figure for expected royalties, maybe as a percentage of annual broadcast royalties? E.g. is it perhaps an extra 1%, 10%, 20% etc of annual broadcast?
So far, one country for one year will add a bit under 10% to my royalty bottom line. We'll see how it plays out, but if a number of countries come in with a similar payout. Well... that's promising!

Keep in mind that this is 50% of the pie, the other half going to whomever owns the master recording. Guys like Fulford could stand to make 2x the money on their owned catalogs.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #53
Lives for gear
 
VitaEtMusica's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
That's all well and good, but I stand firm on my feelings of they should not be asking for this BEFORE you have a relationship with them.

Cheers.
As far as I know, you submit your name, email and phone number to NRG to initiate the process. Then they contact you with information and a link to sign up... using encrypted forms and uploads. Has your experience been different?

I don't remember if I had to provide my SS#, I think I provided my EIN? You all did the same thing when you filled out a W-9 to get paid by your PRO or any library that ever paid you money. A passport is nothing but a super common form of ID that works universally in and out of the US.

Anyho, it's understandably scary. So like I said, why don't you just wait until/if we get paid? You also have options with US based companies like SoundExchange. Don't know what their cut is... Ehren, didn't you talk to them about worldwide rep? But if SoundExchange requests your passport, SS# and/or birth date you're not allowed to come back and complain about it.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #54
Lives for gear
 
VitaEtMusica's Avatar
 

SoundExchange takes no share of your foreign NR money. But I can't tell if they collect anything beyond radio and digital. Doesn't say anything about broadcast or TV anywhere.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #55
Lives for gear
 
Jeff Hayat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post
So like I said, why don't you just wait until/if we get paid?

I can not complete the registration form w/o upping EVERYTHING. Maybe it was recently changed? Maybe I will just up a photo that says "contact me for pport", or something.


Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post
You also have options with US based companies like SoundExchange.
I thought there was no one to collect NR in the US?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #56
Lives for gear
 
VitaEtMusica's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
I thought there was no one to collect NR in the US?
International Collection - SoundExchange

But I don't know if they collect TV broadcast or just streaming, foreign terrestrial radio, and digital radio. Ideally they'd collect all of it. If so, can't beat zero admin fee. Don't know how much they know about library music, if at all. That's one advantage of NRG.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #57
Lives for gear
 
Jeff Hayat's Avatar
 

Will ask them - thanks.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #58
Here for the gear
 

So I've been considering this and had asked someone at NRG what they need our SSN for but never received a reply.

Maybe they are getting so many signups they don't need to bother answering questions like this from a few of the more cautious composers?

Vita - can't wait to hear how your statement turns out. You might end up sending a whole load more of us to NRG haha!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #59
Lives for gear
 
Amber's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post
So far, one country for one year will add a bit under 10% to my royalty bottom line. We'll see how it plays out, but if a number of countries come in with a similar payout. Well... that's promising!

Keep in mind that this is 50% of the pie, the other half going to whomever owns the master recording. Guys like Fulford could stand to make 2x the money on their owned catalogs.
That's very promising. They have pretty much hounded me since I enquired and started the process, so I like to think they've seen there's a lot out there for me

I'll report back once I get an idea.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #60
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanJay View Post
John, I guess I know from which publisher(s) you have received the mail. I received the same mail.
Just get yourself into such collecting societies. I am with GVL for the world except Czech Republik.
In Czech Republik I am with NRG.
Those rights are your rights as a musician and instrumentalist on your own tracks or tracks from others !
You will get 100% and you don`t have to share with publishers and/or labels. Such organisations mostly charge around 15%
from your collected rights.
Don`t expect super much, it`s not like a nice Ascap or BMI statement. You willl receive a couple hundred bugs up to a couple thousands a year. It`s little money but still ok for doing exactly nothing!
Hey. I hope you don't mind me asking, but have you ever received a payment from NRG? I signed up with them in August 2018. They informed me that the first payment would be before the end of February 2019, but still no sign.....
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump