The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Spitfire's New HZ-Strings Library .. Opinions ? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 6th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornemalvo View Post
Well, you have kind of intimated that they aren't to be trusted. Can you support that with any evidence?

I have virtually every Spitfire product and have been using them since day 1 and find them to be rather wonderful.

Interested to know where your lack of trust comes from. Have you had a bad experience or something?
Yeah, I've definitely had bad experiences with Spitfire. I feel like this same conversation has happened 1,000's of times on pretty much every forum. Occasionally my distaste for the company and their products flairs up. I don't buy anything from SF anymore and I don't really care whether people choose to buy their product. I just hate to see people spend a bunch of money without knowing what they may be up against. If you guys have had a fantastic experience with all your Spitfire products- more power to you! But don't act surprised by my assertion, it's certainly nothing shocking or new.

And yes, Spitfire still has the suckiest legatos in the biz.
Old 6th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Not saying they are perfect and impossible that some may have had issues, but to pin them down as "they are notorious for buggy or flawed software", well, I find that a bit harsh, mostly as I have never read anything remotely similar to such a bold statement about Spitfire.
Really? I've read as much over and over. Maybe we're all just looking for validation. Look, I am happy you guys are having a great experience. That is completely fine. But your experience is not universal and absolutely not my experience. That's about all I've got to say about the matter. People can decide for themselves and either make the purchase or not. Maybe it will go great, maybe it won't.

Let us know how it goes with HZ strings- and be sure to post some examples of your Hans Zimmeriness.
Old 6th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post
Really? I've read as much over and over. Maybe we're all just looking for validation. Look, I am happy you guys are having a great experience. That is completely fine. But your experience is not universal and absolutely not my experience. That's about all I've got to say about the matter. People can decide for themselves and either make the purchase or not. Maybe it will go great, maybe it won't.

Let us know how it goes with HZ strings- and be sure to post some examples of your Hans Zimmeriness.
Totally cool man, I know, everyone goes through different experiences with everything, that's just life and music (!).

With all due respect to the man, not a big HZ fan.
I enjoy hearing him speak of his work, his process, the composer roundtable videos on YT, etc, and he appears to be a humble man despite of his colossal stature in the industry. So yeah, I won't be buying the HZ Strings, they do sound lovely but it's just not my thing at the moment.

Olafur and darker, weirder stuff, on the other hand, that's totally my vibe.
Old 6th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Totally cool man, I know, everyone goes through different experiences with everything, that's just life and music (!).

With all due respect to the man, not a big HZ fan.
I enjoy hearing him speak of his work, his process, the composer roundtable videos on YT, etc, and he appears to be a humble man despite of his colossal stature in the industry. So yeah, I won't be buying the HZ Strings, they do sound lovely but it's just not my thing at the moment.

Olafur and darker, weirder stuff, on the other hand, that's totally my vibe.
I think HZ is pretty freaking rad. I really like a lot of his scores and he's had a massive influence on modern film music. But I don't necessarily want to be him... I'm really just giving you guys a hard time on this SF stuff. None of this means much- I'm a product guy. Don't care how you get there, as long as the product is excellent. I completely understand why people love SF. Great sounds, they seem to be striving for excellence. I think sometimes they may be in over their heads.... but what do I know? Not much.

Love the Olafur stuff. So rich and.... alive? Makes me feel like a genius every time I use it. And for the record I do really, really like SF's HZ Percussion.
Old 7th April 2018
Lives for gear

SF Legatos are pretty bad. The co-owner doesn't even use them! I personally use the overlap method but I tend to layer my libraries and have different combinations depending on the tempo of a track/cue and pick my library for the attack/legato/transition based on that. Realistic strings for me are something that really keep me from sleeping and I spend a lot of time with them.

Over on Vi Control, there's lots of people with issues about bugs and bad samples and empty promises from SF about fixes. Look at their old Solo Strings library.

I know a few people with libraries like this so usually have the option of trying these things out beforehand and there's a few (and same with other developers, hello AEON) that I'm really glad I didn't pay for.

HZ strings doesn't sound bad for the slower stuff, maybe a bit nasally in places (which string library isn't?) but I don't think I need it for the price. For me, so much of HZ's sound seems to be from augmenting orchestral elements with electronic stuff. Synth arps to support ostinatos, low subby Moog hits to achor perc hits etc.
Old 7th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
SF Legatos are pretty bad. The co-owner doesn't even use them!
Huh?
Old 7th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Huh?
Henson has mentioned a few times that he doesn't use legatos. Whether he does now I don't know.

Compare the CSS or Tina Guo Cello legato to Spitfire and the difference is immense.
Old 7th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Henson has mentioned a few times that he doesn't use legatos. Whether he does now I don't know.
Interesting. I'll ask him about that.

Quote:
Compare the CSS or Tina Guo Cello legato to Spitfire and the difference is immense.
Which Spitfire Cello is this? There are quite a few.
Old 7th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Just their legato scripts in general imo. To be fair, I don't think many developers have got close to nailing legato, not just Spitfire. I just find the CSS and Tina Guo legatos very good and playable.

I should mention I really like SF samples, just not so much their legatos. From their Labs Piano, to Tundra, OA's 3 libraries, Sable, Enigma etc they're all used daily. If I had to only use one orchestral sample library developer it'd be SF.
Old 7th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

So, LorneMalvo, I'm gathering you are the resident Spitfire shill? Personal relationships and such?
Old 8th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
I'm gathering you are the resident Spitfire shill?
You gather wrongly Sir.
Old 8th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Just their legato scripts in general imo. To be fair, I don't think many developers have got close to nailing legato, not just Spitfire. I just find the CSS and Tina Guo legatos very good and playable.

I should mention I really like SF samples, just not so much their legatos. From their Labs Piano, to Tundra, OA's 3 libraries, Sable, Enigma etc they're all used daily. If I had to only use one orchestral sample library developer it'd be SF.
I use Sable quite a lot. That has a nice cello.
Old 8th April 2018
Lives for gear

Hi,

I came across this wonderful sounding demo showing HZ-Strings in an epic style track. imho it's the best sounding demo I heard so far of HZ-Strings.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Old 8th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
You gather wrongly Sir.
Then I wholeheartedly apologize for my assertion.
Old 9th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
In case you missed it ... there's this review of HZ Strings which is pretty hilarious.

YouTube
Yep, that's the video I was thinking of!

I don't own any SF libraries, but this guy does seem to make some good points with regard to the HZ library and how some of the decisions made by SF seem a little odd. Of course , I have had similar thoughts about other libraries I have purchased from other manufactures, so, his rants aren't necessarily unique to the HZ library, but evidently, his comments are certainly more timely.

fb
Old 9th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Then I wholeheartedly apologize for my assertion.
Apology accepted.
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
Hi,

I came across this wonderful sounding demo showing HZ-Strings in an epic style track. imho it's the best sounding demo I heard so far of HZ-Strings.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Mechanical. One dimensional. The actual piece moves across the orchestra (left and right.) Everything in this "demo" is flat when high strings come out both in a near mono format and basses come out both left and right. The actual piece is orchestrated so the violins play in response to the basses/celli for legato string melody.

But those short strings are especially poor (which in the real score are a doubling of an arpeggiated synth line.)

If you want to center all orchestral groups, just hit mono and call it a day.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search