The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Database management Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 23rd March 2018
Here for the gear
Database management

Hi All,

I have a few hundred music tracks for which I need to add tags and data and wondering how to do this and develop a system so that I do not let them build up so ridiculously.

Sowhat is the best software for the following tasks in your opinion:

1) managing all the data of a growing collection of libray music tracks
2) managing a softare theasurus of emotional/mood/context tags for tracks and a method to quickly add them to each track

Thanks in advance
Eugene
Old 23rd March 2018
Gear Guru

Filemaker Pro.

It allows you to custom configure a database to fit your EXACT needs. Highly recommended.
Old 24th March 2018
Here for the gear
Thanks drBill! And presumably not too ridiculousely powerful??
Old 25th March 2018
Lives for gear

i wish someone came up with soething like this for all film and tv scores / scenes. that way composers, music sups and directors could search music by mood, scene type, composer, etc.
Old 25th March 2018
Lives for gear

Soundminer and Basehead are both great for this. And you can share the databases. And with both, you can utilize them directly for new placements.

Of course someone still needs to go in and tag everything. But they both have pretty powerful metadata tagging.
Old 26th March 2018
Perhaps composer catalog is something like what you are looking for?
Composer Catalog | Software created for writers, by a writer
Old 26th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonzthro View Post
Perhaps composer catalog is something like what you are looking for?
Composer Catalog | Software created for writers, by a writer
This is really cool! Looks like the developer is on track to make this a comprehensive solution. I'll have to demo it to see what elements of the metadata are still missing- looks like he just added keywords. But stuff like having keyword picklists, most searched keywords, keyword history (like, what did you put last time a song matched this genre/mood/etc?), having a matrix for copying info between a song or set of songs, like when doing metadata on an entire release/album. It now has custom report generation, so that would be great for prepping sheets for ingestion to soundminer, harvest, et al.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 26th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilbers View Post
i wish someone came up with soething like this for all film and tv scores / scenes. that way composers, music sups and directors could search music by mood, scene type, composer, etc.
Avid has Asset Management products
Old 28th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal_SINE View Post
Avid has Asset Management products
oh.. no i meant more like a service where someone does the metadata for all films and tv shows so if a producer wants to do a action sequence they can look up the sfx, music and color correction etc. one example would be transformers and the island. there is one chase squence which is practically the same so the director used the the island chase sequence as a "temp track" or reference sort of deal to do the other chase.

so if i am looking for romantic movie sequence light tension i can search "romantic classical guitar score" and probably "The holiday" by hans zimmer would come up and specific scenes.

basically a database like imdb but with metadata for each scene of each show.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search