The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Starting selling music
Old 21st February 2018
Here for the gear
Starting selling music

Hi, I don't know if this thread suits here, but anyways...
I have 30+ songs on my "stock" and I want to sell it. The deal is that I have tried contacting over 20 stocks/music libraries and end up uploading on just two-Pond5 and Productiontrax and no sales so far (in almost two months). I am trying to contact people who might need music for commercial or some sort of a video, but it isn't working out.
So, does anyone can help out with some tips for selling your music because it would really help out.
Appreciate your help.
Old 21st February 2018
Here for the gear

Hello Stojzz
Have you tried Royalty Free Music & Audio from AudioJungle
Kind of good for selling stock audio.
Old 21st February 2018
Here for the gear
Hi, I wanted to, but their split doesn't suit me since the USA doesn't have "tax treaty" with my country so they would get way more than I would in that deal. If it was 50/50 with all taxes and s***, I would apply there. I still can't figure why some stocks don't need that VAT/tax info and some do (such as AudioJungle, TuneFruit..). I guess that just PayPal is to easy to work with.
Old 21st February 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stojzz View Post
I have 30+ songs on my "stock" and I want to sell it. The deal is that I have tried contacting over 20 stocks/music libraries and end up uploading on just two-Pond5 and Productiontrax and no sales so far (in almost two months). I am trying to contact people who might need music for commercial or some sort of a video, but it isn't working out.
So, does anyone can help out with some tips for selling your music because it would really help out.
Appreciate your help.
Pond5 and audiojungle are cool for a start; both with their pros and cons.

Don't expect too much from productiontrax, as sales there for most people are not even close to others. Tunefruit is about the same.
Old 21st February 2018
Here for the gear
Hi, thanks for the reply.
Well, Pond5 gave me 0 sales, 3 item views and 0 artist views. Do I need more than 30 songs to get noticed there? Also is it better to make some basic loops instead of an orchestral soundtrack?
Old 21st February 2018
Throw in the towel. You are wasting your time on those sites.
Old 22nd February 2018
Gear Guru

You have to understand that people want all kinds of music - EDM, Polka's, Comedy, Solo Piano, Hip Hop, Country, Speed Metal, Classical, Movie Trailer Music, Bluegrass, Big Band swing, Jazz, Avant Garde, and on and on and on. 30 songs is way to limiting to be hitting clients with what they need. 300 is better, but still on the very limited side. 3000 quality songs in a wide variety of genre's and you will be licensing songs every day.

And on that note - you are seeking to LICENSE your songs, not SELL them. Just a FYI. Good luck, write, write, write, write, write, write, and keep at it for a decade or two. Then you'll be starting to do well if you are talented.
Old 22nd February 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Throw in the towel. You are wasting your time on those sites.
I'd have to agree with D.I. on the principle that if it's easy to get your music into somewhere, that somewhere is probably rubbish. Personally, I think I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than put tracks into the bottomless void of these kinda 'stack-em-high-we'll-take-anything' sites. You have to have some kind of quality control IMO and the higher the overall quality of the library, the more chance of success and trax earning real dosh. You have to have trax with an entity that has a ruthless, hungry marketing department dedicated to actively going out and selling your music. Putting music on Pond5 for example, means to make money some dude has gotta come across your music buried within the vastness of the other gazillion trax that are on there. Seems very much down to chance.

Having said that, I do recall reading somewhere (maybe on here or MLR) about some dude that was earning 6 figs from these kinda sites. I find that hard to believe myself but hey, whaddoo I know! Maybe he'd uploaded 5 million trax.

If you are wanting a few extra pennies every year towards the odd take-away meal then yeah, give it a go. If you are after a serious career and building up money for the future, a car, a house, holidays, pensions and proper things like that, such sites cannot attain the required long-term level of income over decades.

IMO of course - and I sincerely do welcome any success stories that can perhaps update my old-fashioned thinking on this!
Old 27th February 2018
Here for the gear
Thank you guys for replies.
Well, after two months of work and research, I think that it doesn't pay off putting so much effort in those sites. If I really wanted to sell, or as previously said - license my music, I should be doing some advertisement either on facebook or google.
I wish someone has told me that sooner.

Also, check out some work I've uploaded to SoundCloud:

Star2Studio | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I really thought that I could make some money on that
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

Well the obvious motive should be to cut out the hungry middleman! That should be obvious! How you do it is your story!
Old 27th February 2018
Gear Guru

"Hungry Middlemen" have always been the backbone of this industry. They are the movers and shakers that get things done. Many composers have made small fortunes at the hand of the HM's....

It's the greedy, unscrupulous, lazy and opportunistic middle men you should worry about.
Old 27th February 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff spicoli View Post
Considering where we stand today, if this trend continues on, I don't even want to think what it'll be like in 10-20 years..

Yeah. Hopefully I'll be long retired by then.

If Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc. have their way, and if the PRO's don't pull their head out - it will be impossible to do it on back end the way we are now.

Time will tell.... The question remains though.....are you going to roll the dice....
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Appreciate your help.
Oh dear...

Old 27th February 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thank you guys for replies.
Well, after two months of work and research, I think that it doesn't pay off putting so much effort in those sites. If I really wanted to sell, or as previously said - license my music, I should be doing some advertisement either on facebook or google.
I wish someone has told me that sooner.

Also, check out some work I've uploaded to SoundCloud:

Star2Studio | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I really thought that I could make some money on that
Nice music, listened to a few tracks. Liked the orchestral pieces best. Felt like the metal/rock songs could have a better production/sound.

You seem to do a lot of music for epic, action filled movies/events. Might be harder to sell, because there's not a lot of people going to these pages requesting that kind of style. If I would do a promo video for something work related, none of your track would fit that. Just a thought.

Keep up your good work, hope you find another way forward!
Old 27th February 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Pond5 gave me 0 sales, 3 item views and 0 artist views. Do I need more than 30 songs to get noticed there?
Did you just remove all your music from Pond5? Because I tried looking for your music there, and the user profile for Star2Studio hasn't been completed and doesn't list any music for sale:

Star2Studio ~ Artist Portfolio ~ Art for Sale | Pond5
Old 27th February 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
if the PRO's don't pull their head out
What do you mean by that...I'm curious. In my country problem is that the one and only PRO stick their head everywhere. They pronounced play control illegal, they control which "artists" should be played on tv and radio, they don't pay us, composers/musicians, money they should and they are the biggest mafia in the country. God, this is a s#!thole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikanten View Post
Felt like the metal/rock songs could have a better production/sound.!
Yeah, I'm working on that. There is no rock/metal scene in my country at all, so I don't get to do it unless I want to try something out myself.
Old 27th February 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyneRyder View Post
Did you just remove all your music from Pond5? Because I tried looking for your music there, and the user profile for Star2Studio hasn't been completed and doesn't list any music for sale:

Star2Studio ~ Artist Portfolio ~ Art for Sale | Pond5
Yes, I removed my music from there. I guess I won't search for stocks anymore, and anyone that isn't from US, CA, UK shouldn't hope they would sell much on stocks (AudioJungle and those kind of stocks with tax bulls***).
Old 1st March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
You have to understand that people want all kinds of music - EDM, Polka's, Comedy, Solo Piano, Hip Hop, Country, Speed Metal, Classical, Movie Trailer Music, Bluegrass, Big Band swing, Jazz, Avant Garde, and on and on and on. 30 songs is way to limiting to be hitting clients with what they need. 300 is better, but still on the very limited side. 3000 quality songs in a wide variety of genre's and you will be licensing songs every day.

And on that note - you are seeking to LICENSE your songs, not SELL them. Just a FYI. Good luck, write, write, write, write, write, write, and keep at it for a decade or two. Then you'll be starting to do well if you are talented.
i wouldn't completely agree with that. i only ever uploaded 16 tracks to pond 5 all in 1 genre (epic/cinematic)and all mostly my early productions and have had 27 sales to date and i set my prices around the $30-$50 per track. but yeah maybe if you want to get a license a day you need 3000 tracks.

OP i would say you need to give it a bit of time with these sites. it took me 5 months before i made my first sale but since then pretty much every month i get a little surprise. its only pocket money but its still nice to get.

also very important, use targeted and excellent metadata to make your tracks stand out more to clients.

imo these sites are a nice place to start but then work on your craft and then move on.
Old 20th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Is anyone here actually selling PRO registered works at Pond5? I wonder if that would lower the chances of sales? Just thinking about start to register certain tracks at BMI...

Btw, one advice I would give you for Pond5 especially (as you can put your own price tag, which is only possible on a few market places), is to never put the prices too low. Good thing that they increased the minimum pricing; starting out at 5$, then to 15$ and now to 20$..(for music footage, not sound effects). 20$ is still pretty low, but is quite ok for shorter tracks. The real funny part is that you can actually go four figures (or even higher?! didn't tried that), but from my experience anything higher than at the edge of two figures gets sold only rarely anyway...
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshdax View Post
Is anyone here actually selling PRO registered works at Pond5? I wonder if that would lower the chances of sales? Just thinking about start to register certain tracks at BMI...
Yes. I get very few sales there or even views of tracks. Maybe I should re-examine my metadata and tags. Never seen one of them show up in a royalty statement yet despite having them all registered.

Most music uses are non-royalty paying. So common uses like regional commercials, business-to-business media, non-broadcast educational media, corporate web media (like FAQ and instructional material), or local tourism campaigns, etc never pay royalties. But those things add up to a huge portion of music licensing.

FWIW,
Sam
Old 20th March 2018
Gear Nut

I read an article recently about how important it is to have descriptive titles at Pond5. I went back and changed stuff like "Beautiful Morning" to "Beautiful Morning Inspirational Acoustic Guitar". It seems like I've had an increase in views, but my views and sales numbers are so low it's difficult to tell if the data is telling me anything yet.
Old 15th November 2018
Here for the gear

It is important to work on keywording (tags), as clients search for music with those.
Old 24th November 2018
Gear Head

Hey OP and Folks,

I just wanted to give you my experience so far in Production Music/Stock Music. I decided to try writing for Audiojungle as way to get my feet wet and maybe make some money while I learn to produce music with the intention of moving on to better libraries where you can make backend. I started uploading tracks to Audiojungle May 2017' and have about 66 tracks on there now which have collectively gotten just about 800 sales. The thing is you really have to see what sells on there and cater to that, it's very specific. I now want to move on and write better quality/more interesting music for better libraries with better deals. I listened to your music and I think it's very good especially the orchestral tracks but what I would do is to do a TON of listening to the catalogues of other libraries and see what kinds of music they use and find the ones that you would fit in OR find the ones that might need your music because they lack it. When your listening pay attention to the production quality/mixing/emotive vibe/as well as the starts and endings to learn what works. That's what I'm doing right now and it's good to realize even if your a great talented writer you still have to learn the style of production music and what music supervisors are listening for. I'm still learning all this as well
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search