The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Getty Music Portal Down
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Getty Music Portal Down

Hey guys! I work with Getty Music but their site has been down for like 2 months. Anyone else having this issue or know what's going on?

Thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just tried - works here.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Old 2 weeks ago
Yes, I have noticed that it has been down for a while.

But I did get a few bucks through PayPal from Getty Images a few weeks ago. I have no idea for what music, as I pulled most of my stuff from them a while back.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yh i called them abut a week ago and they are aware of it but man, i don't know.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

ya I finally reached out to them on FB and it took a few days but they say the portal has been down and will be down for another month or so. Why? I don't know and they didn't let anyone know that they were shutting it down.
Old 2 weeks ago
I sent some music like one week before they wen't down and contacted them with email. They said it doesn't affect to submissions and later got email that my music was approved.
Don't know what they are up to tho.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Wouldn't want to be with a library that has let it's website be down that long...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Wouldn't want to be with a Lib that has a new contract stating that you get NO backend on your tracks.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Scott View Post
Wouldn't want to be with a Lib that has a new contract stating that you get NO backend on your tracks.
Pump Audio/Getty Images does?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Yes. I have been in the business quite a while but never tried Getty (Pump Audio).

About a year and a half ago, they updated their contract for any new composers that states they will get the Getty fee for the track but no backend.

I was accepted but declined to sign the contract.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Yes. I have been in the business quite a while but never tried Getty (Pump Audio).

About a year and a half ago, they updated their contract for any new composers that states they will get the Getty fee for the track but no backend.

Good for you!

They must be doing the direct license thing. I’d imagine that the prices they are selling music for are terribly low.

And if they do a blanket deal, you no front end or back end money.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:

This another case of library ignorance. Or trying to give their clients some sort of fake perceived advantage instead of educating them. Good move on your part!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

It was an obvious thing to do. Getty is becoming the new Audio Sparx, selling your tracks for 40 bucks to be used in a high school film.

You are right. In their POS contract, they urge you to use the no backend model because they claim the clients will buy more often, knowing they don't have to fill out cue sheets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post

This another case of library ignorance. Or trying to give their clients some sort of fake perceived advantage instead of educating them. Good move on your part!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
It was an obvious thing to do. Getty is becoming the new Audio Sparx, selling your tracks for 40 bucks to be used in a high school film.

You are right. In their POS contract, they urge you to use the no backend model because they claim the clients will buy more often, knowing they don't have to fill out cue sheets.
That's beyond stupid. (Sorry, not you. Their reasoning in the contract....) Clients / end users don't have to fill out cue sheets if it's not being broadcast, so the high school films / you tube videos have no worries. If it IS being broadcast, they have to fill out cue sheets anyway as part of the delivery requirements from the broadcaster so..... All I can say is... People don't even know how to do business anymore, and don't even have a fundamental understanding of how things work.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
That's beyond stupid. (Sorry, not you. Their reasoning in the contract....) Clients / end users don't have to fill out cue sheets if it's not being broadcast, so the high school films / you tube videos have no worries. If it IS being broadcast, they have to fill out cue sheets anyway as part of the delivery requirements from the broadcaster so..... All I can say is... People don't even know how to do business anymore, and don't even have a fundamental understanding of how things work.
These music licensing companies are exploiting the ignorance of the clients and the desperation of the composers.

Evil, but smart.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Exactly. Are we really that desperate as a creative community?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Yes Bill,

I meant in general.

Your $40.00 track on the POS website may be used for a highschool film and of course no cuesheet is needed but if your track is used in a 30 second, national Toyota commercial, you can bet your butt that that Getty is collecting ALL of the sync as well as ALL of the backend.

These sly foxes are telling the sups that they have a new, great model. No worries about spliting pay with those stupid composers for ANYTHING because they signed off on it!

Quote:
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yes Bill,

I meant in general.

Your $40.00 track on the POS website may be used for a highschool film and of course no cuesheet is needed but if your track is used in a 30 second, national Toyota commercial, you can bet your butt that that Getty is collecting ALL of the sync as well as ALL of the backend.

These sly foxes are telling the sups that they have a new, great model. No worries about spliting pay with those stupid composers for ANYTHING because they signed off on it!

Unless the sups are ignorant or unawares, they should know they don't have to pay any backend. I don't see how Getty is collecting any backend without the composers getting backend as well. I think they are just throwing it away and no one is getting any. Otherwise they would have to be fraudulent and say they are the composer. There has to be a composer listed on a cue sheet as well as a publisher (Getty presumably)
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Unless the sups are ignorant or unawares, they should know they don't have to pay any backend. I don't see how Getty is collecting any backend without the composers getting backend as well. I think they are just throwing it away and no one is getting any. Otherwise they would have to be fraudulent and say they are the composer. There has to be a composer listed on a cue sheet as well as a publisher (Getty presumably)
The newer contract literally says composers forfeit their PRO income. Getty will not say what they are getting.

I would like to paste the contract here but I forgot the Getty log in info.
Old 1 weeks ago
Quote:
The newer contract literally says composers forfeit their PRO income. Getty will not say what they are getting.

I would like to paste the contract here but I forgot the Getty log in info.
So Getty must be forfeiting their publisher PRO income as well. If there is a publisher, there has to be a songwriter. That is how PROs work.

So they are just saying to heck with the PRO system and collecting money upfront. That could be lucrative for them. It could make a lot of sense if they are only providing micro licenses for non-broadcast usage.

But if they are also selling the same music to clients that sync music to video and broadcast the video, they are cheating themselves and the songwriters out of PRO money.

Also, if Getty is only going after the upfront money and are providing blanket licenses to clients, then they should be splitting all of that money in half and giving each songwriter whatever portion was earned. Even then, the songwriters are making chomp change for their music.

If Getty is pocketing all of the blanket license money, the composers are getting screwed from every angle!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post

If Getty is pocketing all of the blanket license money, the composers are getting screwed from every angle!
That seems to be what's happening on more than one front in the Lib world.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

There is only no back end royalties if you opt for the "royalty free" model. When you submit you check a box to have this song as royalty free or not. They highly recommend royalty free and say if you don't your licensing opportunities will be "more limited". Needless to say I never check the box.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggingForRoots View Post
They highly recommend royalty free and say if you don't your licensing opportunities will be "more limited". Needless to say I never check the box.
“More limited”?

Lmfao!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
“More limited”?

Lmfao!
Ya so basically they are saying that if the customer wants royalty free they are not going to pitch your music. Its all kind of ridiculous but with quality libraries being more and limited you gotta deal with a lot of bull****
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggingForRoots View Post
Ya so basically they are saying that if the customer wants royalty free they are not going to pitch your music. Its all kind of ridiculous but with quality libraries being more and limited you gotta deal with a lot of bull****
Sounds good to me. I can just work with other companies. Cutting back on the bad companies is almost better than chasing the good ones. No need to waste time on making bad deals.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search