The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording real hall verb for epicness Modulation Plugins
Old 7th February 2018
Lives for gear

Recording real hall verb for epicness

When i solo the hall mic in HY DAMAGE (big perc patches) i can listen to what appears to be a separte hall /room sound than from the close and room mics. Plus the session pictures they have look like a medium room. Yet that hall has a verga long large echo (real) verb that gives it that epic sound. Im guessing they sent the close mic signal out a speaker into a large hall and then recorded the outcome.
I know some of you have recorded some big taiko like drums before for trailer and big movie sounds, so, do you think thats what damage did and its a normal practice to get a big sound? or its another thing?
And if recording a real hall sound is the way, then are there any considerations? like sending the signal in mono and capturing in stereo? any phase issues?
mic placements and tips?
thanks!
Old 7th February 2018
Lives for gear

Im guessing they sent the close mic signal out a speaker into a large hall and then recorded the outcome.

It's possible they did re-amping, yes, but it's more likely they added reverb(s), and that's what we are hearing. Or maybe both!
Old 7th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Im guessing they sent the close mic signal out a speaker into a large hall and then recorded the outcome.

It's possible they did re-amping, yes, but it's more likely they added reverb(s), and that's what we are hearing. Or maybe both!
ooooh... you might be up to something. i was trying to figure out why the sound was so thick or big in the low frequencies w/o sounding boomy but still retain a very natural sound. a mix of verbs would do it. thx
Old 7th February 2018
Gear Guru

Mixed verbs.
Old 8th February 2018
Lives for gear

thanks!

im also waiting on etch's comments...
Old 8th February 2018
Lives for gear

Etch actually answered this one almost four years ago. Specifically about Taikos even!! I remember it because it was a great tip about using pre-delay. See post #28 of this great thread:
Automating reverb amounts as mix gets busier?

Best,
Sam
Old 10th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Watson View Post
Etch actually answered this one almost four years ago. Specifically about Taikos even!! I remember it because it was a great tip about using pre-delay. See post #28 of this great thread:
Automating reverb amounts as mix gets busier?

Best,
Sam
cool thanks. he also had an old post about trailer perc that was interesintg.

the good thing about this forum that there are recording engineers or producers who know more about these type of instruments. normally all the reamp talk or anything liek that its more into regular rock drums and so on. so i have to translate that into this, which is similar..but different
Old 10th February 2018
Lives for gear

so i gave it a test.

the echo test is one of the hits from damage (hall mic only) and then the rest is me hitting things that sound big to try out the echo in an huge abandon industrail waste cleanup bathroom inside a huge warehouse in an industrial area. that has superb reverb.. yet very spooky place.
(its in mono and recorded only w iPhone so quality is not the best)

the damage test file is a damage hit (hall mic) vs the same hit in close mic ran through altiverb todd ao IR and tweaking the settings.
no particular order so its cool to try and guess.
Attached Files

Damage IR test.mp3 (210.3 KB, 343 views)

Echo test.mp3 (398.3 KB, 328 views)

Old 10th February 2018
Lives for gear

Echo test.mp3

Def some potential there. Would live to hear more in stereo, with some proper mics and pres.

Cheers.
Old 21st February 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilbers View Post
so i gave it a test.

the echo test is one of the hits from damage (hall mic only) and then the rest is me hitting things that sound big to try out the echo in an huge abandon industrail waste cleanup bathroom inside a huge warehouse in an industrial area. that has superb reverb.. yet very spooky place.
That warehouse.. do you have full access to that? Just thinking.. would be cool to set up a mic tree that can be adjusted from the source to give automated distances. Then offer a live reverb service over the net..!

Didn't people do that in the 60's?
Just a thought.
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by currentstatus View Post
That warehouse.. do you have full access to that? Just thinking.. would be cool to set up a mic tree that can be adjusted from the source to give automated distances. Then offer a live reverb service over the net..!

Didn't people do what in the 60's? Offer a live reverb service over the net?

Of course they did!
Old 22nd February 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Didn't people do what in the 60's? Offer a live reverb service over the net?

Of course they did!
You know what.. I was thinking after I posted someone's going interpret that just like you did Jeff.
It's just a matter of time and the right person.

You know what I mean.
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just a thought.
Quote:
You know what I mean.
haha To be fair you DID put the winking emoji in your post. I missed it at first glance. The misinterpretation made for good comic effect though!

Cheers,
Sam
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
You know what.. I was thinking after I posted someone's going interpret that just like you did Jeff.
It's just a matter of time and the right person.

You know what I mean.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search