The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The music industry’s biggest headache? Hint: it’s not piracy [Infographic]
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The music industry’s biggest headache? Hint: it’s not piracy [Infographic]

Last edited by Desire Inspires; 2 weeks ago at 02:40 AM.. Reason: super....
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

"The problem arises here: the Music Supervisor doesn’t know who should get the publishing royalties."

It is not up to the supervisor.. It is up to you to know.

It's not their job to track your own royalties.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
"The problem arises here: the Music Supervisor doesn’t know who should get the publishing royalties."

It is not up to the supervisor.. It is up to you to know.

It's not their job to track your own royalties.
I agree.

Also, what happened to Music Licensing Directory? The site isn't working. http://musiclicensingdirectory.com/
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

If Licensing only comprises less then 2% of the overall revenues, then how could retitling be an industries biggest headache?
Old 1 week ago
that is 4 years old now. A lot has changed.

Music licensing makes even more than $2.5bil now. And "Happy Birthday To You" is now public domain and Warner/Chappell was ordered to pay back millions of dollars in licenses to all the people they have charged for it over the years since they were found in court to NOT have a legal right to the song. Doh!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

& it's still a small portion of the overall pie. A portion that is similar to a ravaged carcass on the high plains with the Vultures still circling and the Hyenas and Lions elbowing for a nibble. It's okay work of course if someone can get it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetwest View Post
& it's still a small portion of the overall pie. A portion that is similar to a ravaged carcass on the high plains with the Vultures still circling and the Hyenas and Lions elbowing for a nibble. It's okay work of course if someone can get it.
Lmfao!

This explains why my royalty checks get lower and lower. It all makes sense now.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Link to article (click me!)

5 year old article about music licensing:

[IMG][/IMG]
There's so much wrong with this I don't even know where to start...
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetwest View Post
If Licensing only comprises less then 2% of the overall revenues, then how could retitling be an industries biggest headache?
right... and retitling isn't exactly a secret... it's been going on for years and everyone is in on it for their own reasons. I know people who have retitled the same cue 20 times... largely because EACH use is a buyout, so no royalties anyway.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearAndGuitars View Post
right... and retitling isn't exactly a secret... it's been going on for years and everyone is in on it for their own reasons. I know people who have retitled the same cue 20 times... largely because EACH use is a buyout, so no royalties anyway.
I don't agree with the infographic either.

But the infographic was entertaining nonetheless.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearAndGuitars View Post
I believe you.

Now if each use is a buyout then that will cause problems if they are offering exclusive contracts and rights. Hopefully it's non-exclusive.

I have re-titled here and there although haven't been that active in music since 2012. If done so in an ethical way, by not choosing competing libraries or companies and only re-titling as little as possible, then it shouldn't be a big issue. The whole copyright thing makes re-titling a reality regardless of sector and sometimes even just for records, it's certain practices of people that seem to cause the real issues.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search