The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any watermarking services superior to adrev?!
Old 29th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Any watermarking services superior to adrev?!

Hey guys,

have been selling a lot of syncs lately and as always: to spot the end usage can get pretty hard!

The only easy one I know is Audiosparx, as you have to fill a form where you want to use the music after buying the sync as a client.
I sold a lot on Audiojungle as well, and I just found that they give the names in the invoice, so if you are lucky they say the producers name, but - while I found lots of names of production companies using my music - I never got a single shot with that...I even thought writing the production companies, but I guess they won't answer.
Pond5 is (while they are super artist-friendly) unfortunately extremely silent when you ask them about the client, or if they got a clue were the music was used.

The most hits by far I've got with Adrev, but it seems to only find like around 30% of what is to be out there. Even on my own youtube channel they just found a single track - whilest I got quite a lot up there.

...so I wonder: is there any better service, or way to find how/where your music has been used?! Is maybe audiam better? Why does Adrev only find such
low percentages of end usages? Any insights? Pitty also that all these don't seek through other services (like Vimeo, where lots of stuff is posted).

Also, this may be a bit of topic, but do you know what happened to tunesat's "soundproof" service? Sounded pretty good (I never used it), but looks like they burried this one...

Also other finding tips would be lovely.

PS: I don't want to make money with it, but mainly want to add these finds to my portfolio.

All the best,
Freshd.
Old 30th December 2017
Here for the gear

You may wish to try fingerprinting with HAAWK - HAAWK
Old 6th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Cool, thanks for mentioning this one dude!

Anyone who has some practical experience with HAAWK?
Old 7th January 2018
Gear Guru

Just a footnote : AdRev does not do watermarking. It does fingerprinting. There is a big difference, and IF they did watermarking, they would save composers and publishers a WHOLE lot of grief. Watermarks are exact. Fingerprints are misread all the time, not to mention the problems with non-exclusive publishing.

At any rate, even fingerprinting is not AdRev's business. That's up to youtube. All AdRev does is monetize videos.
Old 21st January 2018
Gear Maniac

Thanks for clearing that up drBill!..but who, or which service does real "watermarking"?

Also, any idea what happened to tunesats "soundproof"? I still use their free service for TV findings, but after all we all know it's limited to 50 tracks, and I also got the feeling it wont find anything, most likely also because they don't have all channels on the world in their roster. I also find the non-free plan just ridiciously overpriced (I recall something like 100 USD monthly?!...).

On a sitenote; I think Adrev is actually better than nothing (about 100 USD a month and quite some nice finds). But I'd wish for a service that finds more than just 20-30 % after all...also it doesn't seem to work for tracks below 30 seconds....maybe Haawk is indeed what I'm searching for.
Old 24th January 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshdax View Post
...also it doesn't seem to work for tracks below 30 seconds....maybe Haawk is indeed what I'm searching for.
Correct, anything under 30" is ignored. Many short film makers take advantage of this by never using more than 29" of a track.
Old 29th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylG View Post
Correct, anything under 30" is ignored. Many short film makers take advantage of this by never using more than 29" of a track.
Darn....I guess they also use plenty of pitch alteration for the same cause (done in a matter of seconds with Audacity).
Old 29th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Why would film makers care?
Old 20th March 2018
Gear Maniac

...simple reason; nobody likes their videos monetized by a third party.

Anyway, still pretty unsatisfied with adrev - allthough it's better than nothing.
I also checked out haawk, but am not sure if their service would really make any difference after the end of the day.

Still I really wonder why only about 1% of my clients actually tell me where they use my music. Is this again because they are afraid of any further royalties or monetization? At least that would be my strong guess...
Old 20th March 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
...simple reason; nobody likes their videos monetized by a third party..
Ahhhh.... Thanks. Never thought of it that way. I would think that the license they purchased would allow them to not have their video monitized, but I'm sure it causes hassles. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 30th March 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Ahhhh.... Thanks. Never thought of it that way. I would think that the license they purchased would allow them to not have their video monitized, but I'm sure it causes hassles. Thanks for the explanation.
AFAIK, they don't pay for a licence, but as each track is under 30", it isn't flagged, so they don't feel they have to pay, and they don't get their video monetized either.
Old 2nd April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
AFAIK, they don't pay for a licence, but as each track is under 30", it isn't flagged, so they don't feel they have to pay, and they don't get their video monetized either.
WHAT? Videos under 30 secs can't get monetized at all in general?!! I really didn't got a clue about that...would that even mean that you can't get any copyright claims for vids under 0:30?!

As mentioned before; generally I could imagine pretty good how often people just 'grab' mine/our music from iTunes/youtube (if it's without voice over) - in which we invested plenty of tears, blood and hard work. Still, my AdRev success rate of findings is still way too low. There are also many tracks of which I never had single detection (while I had+100 sales for them, plus surely a few hundred "black usages')...so this doesn't make much sense, and my guess would be that they actually most likely white-listed many of those.

...so; the initial question stilll percists; is there an id content system, which is profoundly more accurate, and maybe (as a bonus) doesn't do any whitelisting at all...., hell, maybe even also no monetzing at all, but just detections?

Is anyone here who tried other services, like those more custom-like "off-site" services of Haawk and Tunesat etc., or simply other aggreators like Audiam, Tunecore, or others? Or are AdRev, Audiam, Tunecore, Songtrust etc all pretty much idetical in the way they work?

Cheers!
Freshdx.
Old 15th March 2019
Here for the gear

Any updates on this? The more I learn about this topic, the more confused I am. Curious to know if you (or anyone else) has had similar experiences with AdRev or any of the other companies listed above.
Old 29th March 2019
Gear Head

I have a crazy amount of plagiarism of my music on Youtube and have chatted a lot with Adrev & Haawk. I think they are limited by what the Content ID system allows. They both have people that will manually seek and add claims on your behalf. You can also do that yourself if you find something.

I have my self published work with Adrev but my publisher uses Haawk. Its hard to tell but I don't think there is much difference at all. I like Adrev because they have a more extensive dashboard where you can track your claims, etc.

I recently met with the CEO of Adrev and he is an awesome dude that is really hyped to keep the company growing and finding ways to get more money for his clients.

Also Content ID payout rates are the worst royalty in the industry by far. How Youtube gets away with that I have no idea. But it is vital that artists understand what is going on here and how we can try getting a better rate.

Heres an article that will make your head explode Dead Kennedys’ East Bay Ray: The Problem With YouTube | Observer

PS. Adrev & haawk focus on the sound recording and only capture publishing in the US I believe. You will need someone like Songtrust to claim the publishing side worldwide https://app.hubspot.com/documents/25...ccessId=56c797

Last edited by thesecession; 29th March 2019 at 03:59 AM..
Old 3rd January 2020
Here for the gear

Any updated info on this? I am curious about the "less than 30 seconds" issue.
Also, has anyone actually collected "royalties" through Haawk via Facebook or Instagram?
Old 3rd January 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDatkinson View Post
Any updated info on this? I am curious about the "less than 30 seconds" issue.
Also, has anyone actually collected "royalties" through Haawk via Facebook or Instagram?
They both can claim videos with usage under 30 seconds but it has to be done manually. Adrev seems to catch most major videos that are worth monetizing
Old 10th January 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJIA View Post
Any updates on this? The more I learn about this topic, the more confused I am. Curious to know if you (or anyone else) has had similar experiences with AdRev or any of the other companies listed above.
Still using AdRev only.

Is it actually allowed to join HAAWK as an individual who is already working with AdRev? The main issue is still that AdRev only is able to monetize a rather small percentage of my music. And of course that AdRev doesn't detect anything on Facebook etc.

On a Sidenote; I'm still using TuneSat too, but only their free account. Once I bought some findings "ala card" though! Pitty that the premium account is so über-expensive.

Cheers!
-Freshd.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

*Bump*
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Still using AdRev only.

Is it actually allowed to join HAAWK as an individual who is already working with AdRev? The main issue is still that AdRev only is able to monetize a rather small percentage of my music. And of course that AdRev doesn't detect anything on Facebook etc.

On a Sidenote; I'm still using TuneSat too, but only their free account. Once I bought some findings "ala card" though! Pitty that the premium account is so über-expensive.

Cheers!
-Freshd.
Yes you can be part of both. I have one album with Haawk and the rest with adrev. They both detect Facebook usages but neither can monetize them yet. I think Facebook is still negotiating rates or hasen't enable monetization. Not sure.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Thanks for your insights! So you can't have the same music on both of them? (...just to ensure more hits maybe?)

Why do you actually have one album at haawk and the rest at adrev?

Cheers!
-Freshd.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Thanks for your insights! So you can't have the same music on both of them? (...just to ensure more hits maybe?)

Why do you actually have one album at haawk and the rest at adrev?

Cheers!
-Freshd.
No they definitely cannot have the same cues because it will cause a conflict in the system and neither one will collect $. At one point Haawk gave me a better split offer than Adrev so I started giving them new material but then Adrev countered their offer so I kept my catalog there.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Ah sure, that makes perfect sense!

...but I still wonder if there is any way to get hits on facebook, vimeo etc till this day? Or if there is even something similar to tunesat, with more tv channels?

Cheers!
-Freshd.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search