The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
"Music Wanted" libraries like Songtradr/Taxi, etc?
Old 19th December 2017
  #1
Gear Addict
"Music Wanted" libraries like Songtradr/Taxi, etc?

Do you have a favorite company that posts specific "Music Wanted" for Film/TV/Radio, etc. Similar to Songtradr or Taxi. (I don't use Taxi because they charge).

I'm just interesting if their are good reputable companies you can recommend.

I'm not looking for ones to just dump my songs in a library.

thanks in advance.
Old 20th December 2017
  #2
I just set up profile to Songtradr, because I see I already have some success with them via my publisher. So, I can´t say if I am going to use "Music wanted" section, but let´s see.
Old 20th December 2017
  #3
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanikproject View Post
I just set up profile to Songtradr, because I see I already have some success with them via my publisher. So, I can´t say if I am going to use "Music wanted" section, but let´s see.
thanks, I already have an account with Songtradr, but I was wondering if there is another out there?
Old 20th December 2017
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerone View Post
thanks, I already have an account with Songtradr, but I was wondering if there is another out there?
You could try out Music Gateway.
It is easy to pitch in and find the info about the project, but there is no any messaging or updates after that.
I have not had any luck with them in sync projects and projects I have pitched on just suddenly closes without any notice or update even I have been selected to provide my work in the workspace.
The model is, I think quite common; they curate all the submissions and selected submissions goes further to the client or its AR team and they select some or none of the works submitted. The mystery is, that will eg. Songtradr competing there too.
However, the notice or an update would been nice.

I actually just made take-down request since the communication is lacking and they have had major update in their site and site just says my profile is not active.

But, I won´t write about it more since there is another thread about MG, just added pros and cons
Old 20th December 2017
  #5
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanikproject View Post
You could try out Music Gateway.
It is easy to pitch in and find the info about the project, but there is no any messaging or updates after that.
I have not had any luck with them in sync projects and projects I have pitched on just suddenly closes without any notice or update even I have been selected to provide my work in the workspace.
The model is, I think quite common; they curate all the submissions and selected submissions goes further to the client or its AR team and they select some or none of the works submitted. The mystery is, that will eg. Songtradr competing there too.
However, the notice or an update would been nice.

I actually just made take-down request since the communication is lacking and they have had major update in their site and site just says my profile is not active.

But, I won´t write about it more since there is another thread about MG, just added pros and cons
thanks for that assessment. I'm glad you and other people have had luck with Songtradr. I have not but that doesn't mean anything.

thanks again.
Old 23rd December 2017
  #6
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerone View Post
thanks for that assessment. I'm glad you and other people have had luck with Songtradr. I have not but that doesn't mean anything.

thanks again.
I honestly think Music Gateway are a complete waste of time for Sync. That's from the contacts and artists I've spoken to. They are probably better for collaborations and song writing opportunities.

Good luck!
Old 23rd December 2017
  #7
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensorsir View Post
I honestly think Music Gateway are a complete waste of time for Sync. That's from the contacts and artists I've spoken to. They are probably better for collaborations and song writing opportunities.

Good luck!
thanks.
Old 20th February 2018
  #8
Here for the gear
 

I only started professionally recording 3 years ago, and have these personal notes: Taxi - 2 full years, ZERO licenses, many hundreds of dollars wasted. Music Gorilla - 1 year, ZERO licenses, a few bucks wasted. Music XRay - 1.5 years, ZERO licenses and again many hundreds of $$$ gone. Music Gateway - 1 year, ZERO licenses and tons of time wasted. Their promotion makes you feel like you're just right there about to get it, then nothing. Happened over and over to me. Now to SongTradr -- 1 year, originally in the free version but now paying $7.99 per month, and in that year I've had 44 (yes forty-four) licenses and counting, with another 20+ in the pipeline awaiting supervisor approval. My successes have ranged from app licenses to overhead music blankets in North America, UK, Asia, major airlines, Starbucks and Hard Rock Cafes. No film or TV yet, but put me in the WIN column for believing in Songtradr. And I'm using the same WAV files and songs tried on those other sites. I'm now experimenting with Pond5, but just got started last week so no updates yet.

Last edited by BobBirthisel; 20th February 2018 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: adding more info.
Old 20th February 2018
  #9
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBirthisel View Post
I only started professionally recording 3 years ago, and have these personal notes: Taxi - 2 full years, ZERO licenses, many hundreds of dollars wasted. Music Gorilla - 1 year, ZERO licenses, a few bucks wasted. Music XRay - 1.5 years, ZERO licenses and again many hundreds of $$$ gone. Music Gateway - 1 year, ZERO licenses and tons of time wasted. Their promotion makes you feel like you're just right there about to get it, then nothing. Happened over and over to me. Now to SongTradr -- 1 year, originally in the free version but now paying $7.99 per month, and in that year I've had 44 (yes forty-four) licenses and counting, with another 20+ in the pipeline awaiting supervisor approval. My successes have ranged from app licenses to overhead music blankets in North America, UK, Asia, major airlines, Starbucks and Hard Rock Cafes. No film or TV yet, but put me in the WIN column for believing in Songtradr. And I'm using the same WAV files and songs tried on those other sites. I'm now experimenting with Pond5, but just got started last week so no updates yet.
very cool. I haven't had any yet, but haven't really put my shoulder into it either.
Old 20th February 2018
  #10
Gear Maniac
 

I threw about 10 tracks into Songtradr for an experiment since it was Non-exclusive and I had the songs laying around on my hard drive.

They already licensed 3 of my tracks. I don't pay them a dime.
Old 22nd February 2018
  #11
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Scott View Post
I threw about 10 tracks into Songtradr for an experiment since it was Non-exclusive and I had the songs laying around on my hard drive.

They already licensed 3 of my tracks. I don't pay them a dime.
thats great news!

thanks!
Old 22nd February 2018
  #12
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBirthisel View Post
in that year I've had 44 (yes forty-four) licenses and counting, with another 20+ in the pipeline awaiting supervisor approval.
If I may be so bold as to enquire - how much do you get per license?

Thx
Old 10th March 2018
  #13
Here for the gear
 
sulblk27's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBirthisel View Post
I only started professionally recording 3 years ago, and have these personal notes: Taxi - 2 full years, ZERO licenses, many hundreds of dollars wasted. Music Gorilla - 1 year, ZERO licenses, a few bucks wasted. Music XRay - 1.5 years, ZERO licenses and again many hundreds of $$$ gone. Music Gateway - 1 year, ZERO licenses and tons of time wasted. Their promotion makes you feel like you're just right there about to get it, then nothing. Happened over and over to me. Now to SongTradr -- 1 year, originally in the free version but now paying $7.99 per month, and in that year I've had 44 (yes forty-four) licenses and counting, with another 20+ in the pipeline awaiting supervisor approval. My successes have ranged from app licenses to overhead music blankets in North America, UK, Asia, major airlines, Starbucks and Hard Rock Cafes. No film or TV yet, but put me in the WIN column for believing in Songtradr. And I'm using the same WAV files and songs tried on those other sites. I'm now experimenting with Pond5, but just got started last week so no updates yet.
Good deal! I was with Music X-ray, Reverbnation---Zero results, after the first year I dropped the payments to Reverbnation and Sound cloud. With Songtradr, I have landed a few overheads also. Two of them paid up this month--nothing big but it is a start to me. NBC shortlisted one of my tracks August 2017 and it is still shortlisted --lol. I am actually fine with it, meant to me that it was listened to and had a ghost of a chance.
I also use DistroKid--the biggest 'payer' is Spotify....pennies on the dollar--but in time will add up...set it and forget it kinda of attitude for me.
I have sent a few to Crucial Music--no luck there, yet--just submitted one today--two others have been sitting for review since January---(three max limit for submissions)
I was able to get one song on Pandora--last year--and have been rejected since! Made me think the one that was accepted was a mistake--lol.
All in all--it is a process that can seem discouraging, but then a bright spot comes through. One Music deal I submitted to, the Songtradr folks sent it all the way through to Final selection, but the music supervisor declined them all, I received the credits spent on the tracks back into my account.So I am like you--I place a win in the win column for Songtradr.
Let us know how Pond5 goes for you.
Old 15th March 2018
  #14
Here for the gear
 

Has anyone actually earned any money from Songtradr though?
Old 19th March 2018
  #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetM View Post
Has anyone actually earned any money from Songtradr though?
One of my song got licensed for personal use in last month, so yeah got 5$
Last year got maybe 5-6 licensings via one of my publisher in Songtradr and it generated couple of $ maybe.
Old 22nd March 2018
  #16
Here for the gear
 
sulblk27's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetM View Post
Has anyone actually earned any money from Songtradr though?
I have made a few bucks (March 2018)from the Overhead music, took about 9 months to receive, but as it was stated--they are really only small residuals---depending on how many were licensed. My next 'residual' won't be until around June for another two--if they were used. Songtradr will send you a e-mail to let you know you have been paid.
Old 17th May 2018
  #17
Here for the gear
 

It seems no one is getting paid from any of these so-called companies
Old 8th June 2018
  #18
Gear Head
 

I have my music with a licensing company that pays $2k-20+ and beyond (non-exclusive)... I signed up for songtrader just now to see what it's like. It reminds me of SonicBids which was kinds of a miss for me, but that was 10 years ago... doubt SongTrader's budget will be anywhere above a few hundred but for the sake of research and transparency, I will keep you guys posted!

EDIT: you can set your pricing...

Recommended settings gets you

Advertising All Media
(Perpetuity/World)
US$9,999.00
Advertising Online
(Perpetuity/World)
US$499.00
Advertising Radio & Online
(Perpetuity/World)
US$999.00
App
(All Media/Perpetuity/World)
US$299.00
AR/VR
(All Media/Perpetuity/World)
US$999.00
Cable TV
(All Media excl. Theatrical/Perpetuity/World)
US$899.00
Film
(All Media/Perpetuity/World/Film Budget > US$10m)
US$3,999.00
Film Trailer
(All Media/Perpetuity/World)
US$4,999.00
Network TV/OTT
(All Media excl. Theatrical/Perpetuity/World)
US$1,549.00
TV Promo
(All Media/Perpetuity/World)
US$299.00
Video Game
(All Media/Perpetuity/World)
US$1,999.00
Video Game Trailer
(All Media/Perpetuity/World)
US$1,999.00

Last edited by petecho; 9th June 2018 at 01:29 AM.. Reason: edit
Old 19th June 2018
  #19
Here for the gear
 

Since my last posting I've added 2 more licenses (Asia), and I'm up to $80 after commissions have been taken out, but that only represents 7 of my 46 licenses and some of those are quarterly payments. BONUS NEWS: Songtradr's lowered their "Pro Level" (monthly payment) from $7.99 to just $4.99 which also give you the lower amount taken as commission. I used the "free" service until I got my 1st license, just to see if it works, but since then joined Pro and it's definitely paying off for me.
Old 13th August 2018
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Hazmatic's Avatar
I take the favorable Songtradr reviews in this thread from newbies or people with low post counts with a grain of salt.
Old 14th August 2018
  #21
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBirthisel View Post
Since my last posting I've added 2 more licenses (Asia), and I'm up to $80 after commissions have been taken out, but that only represents 7 of my 46 licenses and some of those are quarterly payments. BONUS NEWS: Songtradr's lowered their "Pro Level" (monthly payment) from $7.99 to just $4.99 which also give you the lower amount taken as commission. I used the "free" service until I got my 1st license, just to see if it works, but since then joined Pro and it's definitely paying off for me.
It sounds like it.
Old 13th October 2018
  #22
Here for the gear
 

As a songwriter: the only way to land a licensing deal is going to be by a) either being related to an established artist or b) being related to someone on the staff of songtradr (the only real company that doesn't steal music from songwriters as far as I know). I hope this helps.
Old 13th October 2018
  #23
Here for the gear
 

Man, sorry to hear that you were on Xray Music. How many songs did they end up stealing from you? (Yikes!)
Old 13th October 2018
  #24
Here for the gear
 

Distrokid is excellent for establishing online presence. Too bad no one will ever see a red cent from them though.

Last edited by RealityCheck; 13th October 2018 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: Accuracy
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump