The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Regarding Placements
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Regarding Placements

On average, how long do you guys think it takes for your tracks to get placed?

For instance I have had some tracks placed within a week of submitting it to a library. In other instances, I have seen tracks sitting on the shelf, get placed 10 years after the track was submitted. In other cases, never.

Anyone with similar experiences? Any faster results in EX vs Non-Ex?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Scott View Post

For instance I have had some tracks placed within a week of submitting it to a library. In other instances, I have seen tracks sitting on the shelf, get placed 10 years after the track was submitted. In other cases, never.

Never say never. The placement will come. Will the composer be alive to collect the royalties? That is another story.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

It's all over the map. In generalities, Non-Ex is always faster than Ex for me because of a specific Non-Ex publisher of mine who's well connected - but for any specific song, it's impossible to predict. Some are placed within hours, others, years. Some....I'm still waiting a decade later. That's why it's a numbers game. Without a thousand plus great songs, you can be in big trouble if you depend on placements to make a living.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Will the composer be alive to collect the royalties? That is another story.
Hahahaaaa!! True dat! I gotta leave my kids SOMEthing. It probably won't be a lot of money, so.....I'll leave them songs! And a chance for them to work my privately-owned catalog. It will probably support ONE of them like it supports me. Or as a supplemental income for both of them and their families.....
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It is so random and hard to keep track of that it's something I don't tend to think about. Of course we all hope our tracks get instant licenses right out the gate but it's impossible to predetermine.
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Scott View Post

the music you are writing is also a huge factor. Sure a catalog might need you to do Andean flute solos because they don't have any... or maybe you are doing a polka album because the library doesn't have any...

that doesn't mean it will get licensed right away... some styles of music are in demand and get licensed they day they are released. Others are needed as "back catalog" but are not in high demand.

And as trends shift, something that was once big becomes over-used. If you wrote something that was a trend but by the time it's released it is already becoming over-used... then you aren't going to see a lot of licensing from it.

So there are a lot of factors.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search