The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Music WON'T Make You Cash....
Old 19th August 2017
Gear Guru

Music WON'T Make You Cash....

As a public service announcement :

Music won’t make you cash…

I’m going to put up a new website : www.musicwon’tmakeyoucash.com

I’m going to charge everyone a ONE TIME fee of $10-20 to get the scoop that will save them thousands. I’ll continue to add tips as time goes on, but a one time dirt cheap fee gets you the real scoop.

But because I'm altruistic, I’m going to give y’all a jump start on it for free though…..

Forget art
Forget trying to buy your way in
Forget giving it away
Forget trying to woo music supervisors
Forget moving to LA
Forget dreams of stardom
Forget aiming for that “big score” that will buy you a house
Forget trying to find the secret handshake from others
Forget everything you think you've learned up till now.....

Music Won’t Make You Cash Unless :

1. You quit trying to take short cuts. Embrace that this will take you 10-15 years and figure out a way to survive in the interim.
2. You learn to be prolific. Write 2+ songs a day, 5 days a week for a year. THEN, throw out the crap and start marketing the good stuff.
3. You can learn to corral your creativity into styles, and formats that are suitable for production music applications.
4. You give up that dream of being a rockstar.
5. You up your production skills further, and further, and further and FURTHER until you are as good as the best.
6. You learn to cold call.
7. You learn the hustle.
8. You learn what it really means to network, make real friends, have lunches, etc. with real human people who can move you forward and who are willing to do it without you paying them.,
9. You quit trying to write a hit and learn it’s not about the hit - it’s about being able to just write music.
10. You quit trying to “BETTER the last tune” you wrote at the expense of writing ANOTHER tune.
11. You realize you just need to write some more music.
12. You put REAL instruments on your tracks when the tracks ask for it. No more fake acoustic or electric guitars.
13. You’re willing to pump money into your music. The hard way. Studio infrastructure, musicians & engineers, etc..
14. You quit giving your creative rights away in perpetuity for tiny handouts up front.
15. You learn to be prolific in a WIDE variety of styles. (i.e.: Diversified is NOT all under one category. You can't say "dude, I'm prolific and I'm diversified!!! I write electro house, dub, ambient, breakbeat, glitch, etc..!!!" You've got to go <WIDE>

Notice the key-word there?? For the slow starters, it's "you".

Last edited by drBill; 21st August 2017 at 05:15 AM..
Old 19th August 2017
Lives for gear

Old 19th August 2017
Gear Head

Yup, There's no shortcut in life. I really believe all the work is in every single day-hour at a time. You've got to love the struggle/hustle. If you love that, life becomes a little bit easier...
Old 19th August 2017
Lives for gear
A lot of very good points,

I've had rock star moments, been signed to majors and all that, but unless you quickly transition from blowing your advance to moving to the head of the pack it's not going to amount to much in the long run.

I went to school for composing prior to attacking the TV Cues/ licensing business, four years of studying before I ever started hustling "beatz" and I've done pretty well, at the risk of offending atheists (Get over it) god helps those who help themselves. There have been some funny threads recently where a seemingly arrogant kid who just learned to layer loops is asking for the keys to the vault, I always assume these are fake and posted for entertainment purposes only, but who knows?

Anything can and does happen in this crazy world so I would never tell anyone what they can and can't do, but the proliferation of "I've got sick ambient house beatz needs contacts, will share % with you" threads show that a wake-up call was in order.
Old 19th August 2017
Lives for gear

And the choir sings "Amen". Sticky.
Old 19th August 2017
Gear Maniac
If I can piggy back a bit on the original post - music for most of us here (even though many might not like to admit it) is a hobby - a very expensive hobby. Some of us are putting more money than we might ever earn back from this, but its way better than wasting your money on every circus that comes into town. On a side note, those latest plugins won't help you record something golden - reward yourself with a nice EQ or compressor after you've recorded something that can stand on its own.

If you want to make money, you are better off learning how to fix cars or tune pianos - marrying into money is always nice, but expecting to be rewarded for creativity in the music business means that you already have an in and know the people that can help make your ideas flourish; if you have ideas that aren't already being developed, you don't know those right people. Don't be a fool and start contributing to music libraries, or giving out your work for pathetic payoff websites - like drBill said, don't fall for these scams making money off of countless ideas with potential that were nearly there, later to be redone in a way that any court or "expert" would find perfectly acceptable - develop your sound, stay away from the limelight, and become someone respectable - not someone marketable.

Probably the worst advice for someone that desperately needs to become a star.
Old 20th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpyter View Post
If I can piggy back a bit on the original post - music for most of us here (even though many might not like to admit it) is a hobby - a very expensive hobby. Some of us are putting more money than we might ever earn back from this, but its way better than wasting your money on every circus that comes into town. On a side note, those latest plugins won't help you record something golden - reward yourself with a nice EQ or compressor after you've recorded something that can stand on its own.

If you want to make money, you are better off learning how to fix cars or tune pianos - marrying into money is always nice, but expecting to be rewarded for creativity in the music business means that you already have an in and know the people that can help make your ideas flourish; if you have ideas that aren't already being developed, you don't know those right people. Don't be a fool and start contributing to music libraries, or giving out your work for pathetic payoff websites - like drBill said, don't fall for these scams making money off of countless ideas with potential that were nearly there, later to be redone in a way that any court or "expert" would find perfectly acceptable - develop your sound, stay away from the limelight, and become someone respectable - not someone marketable.

Probably the worst advice for someone that desperately needs to become a star.
That doesn't sound right.
Old 20th August 2017
Gear Head

You can make 6 figures in 5 years or less. I've seen it happen.
Old 20th August 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRolla View Post
You can make 6 figures in 5 years or less. I've seen it happen.

Old 20th August 2017
Gear Head

dr.Bill,

Why are you laughing? It's insensitive, hurts my feelings and I would like you to remove it, please.

Thank you.
Old 20th August 2017
Gear Guru

Old 20th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post

But it will get you chicks and free beer....
Old 20th August 2017
Gear Head

Narcoman, can you please remove Bill's inflammatory post?

Thank you.
Old 20th August 2017
Lives for gear
Its true, i have seen musicians not making decent money via their music. They have however attained fame (high profile) via their music and they have gone on to make good money off the back of their fame.
Old 20th August 2017
Deleted User
16. You own a streaming company. In which case you'll have more cash than the wealthiest governments of the world.
Old 20th August 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
That doesn't sound right.
Might not apply to musicians who value quantity over quality.
Old 20th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Watson View Post
And the choir sings "Amen". Sticky.
You used a great west library for choir
Old 20th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I’m going to put up a new website : www.musicwon’tmakeyoucash.com

I’m going to charge everyone a ONE TIME fee of $10-20 to get the scoop that will save them thousands. I’ll continue to add tips as time goes on, but a one time dirt cheap fee gets you the real scoop.

But because I'm altruistic, I’m going to give y’all a jump start on it for free though…..

Forget art
Forget trying to buy your way in
Forget giving it away
Forget trying to woo music supervisors
Forget moving to LA
Forget dreams of stardom
Forget aiming for that “big score” that will buy you a house
Forget trying to find the secret handshake from others
Forget everything you think you've learned up till now.....

Music Won’t Make You Cash Unless :

1. You quit trying to take short cuts. Embrace that this will take you 10-15 years and figure out a way to survive in the interim.
2. You learn to be prolific. Write 2+ songs a day, 5 days a week for a year. THEN, throw out the crap and start marketing the good stuff.
3. You can learn to corral your creativity into styles, and formats that are suitable for production music applications.
4. You give up that dream of being a rockstar.
5. You up your production skills further, and further, and further and FURTHER until you are as good as the best.
6. You learn to cold call.
7. You learn the hustle.
8. You learn what it really means to network, make real friends, have lunches, etc. with real human people who can move you forward and who are willing to do it without you paying them.,
9. You quit trying to write a hit and learn it’s not about the hit - it’s about being able to just write music.
10. You quit trying to “BETTER the last tune” you wrote at the expense of writing ANOTHER tune.
11. You realize you just need to write some more music.
12. You put REAL instruments on your tracks when the tracks ask for it. No more fake acoustic or electric guitars.
13. You’re willing to pump money into your music. The hard way. Studio infrastructure, musicians & engineers, etc..
14. You quit giving your creative rights away in perpetuity for tiny handouts up front.
15. You learn to be prolific in a WIDE variety of styles. (i.e.: Diversified is NOT all under one category. You can't say "dude, I'm prolific and I'm diversified!!! I write electro house, dub, ambient, breakbeat, glitch, etc..!!!" You've got to go <WIDE>

Notice the key-word there?? For the slow starters, it's "you".
Especially the diversity part...
Old 20th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
[I][B]

www.musicwon’tmakeyoucash.com

wtf!

I've clicked on this (inactive) link over 200 times to sign up to Not make cash - what's going on drBill? (from you of all people - I thought you were one of the good guys).

Mods - please sort out this misleading and cynical attempt at preventing me from Not making money!...
Old 20th August 2017
Gear Guru

Reading Comprehension 101 Folks......

There is an "unless" in the initial post.
Old 20th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Reading Comprehension 101 Folks......

There is an "unless" in the initial post.
Who cares for the listed small print - I bought in at the first 3 sentences. (see what I just said there...)

This is a scam!
Old 20th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
You learn to be prolific in a WIDE variety of styles. (i.e.: Diversified is NOT all under one category. You can't say "dude, I'm prolific and I'm diversified!!! I write electro house, dub, ambient, breakbeat, glitch, etc..!!!" You've got to go <WIDE>
Very true.

Larry Groupé used to come in my little music store every week. I used to play him my stuff all the time.

"You make good street rock, but what else can you do?" was always his reply.
Old 20th August 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw View Post
Who cares for the listed small print - I bought in at the first 3 sentences. (see what I just said there...)

This is a scam!
I also said "going to" as in future tense mr.quickclick....
Old 20th August 2017
Gear Nut

In all seriousness, this nugget is probably worth $10-20. Add a quick 10 minute mastering video and a contact list of the "50 best" libraries in the industry today and I guaranty you can make $40 a pop.
Old 21st August 2017
Gear Head

14 might be harder to achieve eventually if excl with no upfronts might become the majority and the norm
Old 21st August 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boinkeee2000 View Post
14 might be harder to achieve eventually if excl with no upfronts might become the majority and the norm
Actually, it's easier on the outset. And I think it will become even more easier over time. It's a different business model though. Not for everyone, but for those with bigger dreams, a long term strategy, or outside the box thinkers - having ownership of your creative content is critical. Of course, a wide diversity of not only music, but styles of investment and placement of your music is a good idea for most.

BTW, I would never, ever, EVER give my music away in perpetuity and exclusively for no up front payment. The more the up fronts shrink, the more important implementing #14 creatively becomes.
Old 21st August 2017
Gear Head

I have a short cut for everybody. If you abstain from writing over 18,000 posts on a forum, it's possible to accomplish this in half of the time.
Old 21st August 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
I have a short cut for everybody. If you abstain from writing over 18,000 posts on a forum, it's possible to accomplish this in half of the time.
Sounds like a scam.
Old 21st August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
That post is insensitive, hurts my feelings (as well as Bill's) and I would like you to remove it, please.

Thank you.
Old 21st August 2017
Gear Head

Jeffrey,

I thought the elementary school rhetoric of copying and mocking ended years ago. I am shocked at your juvenile subjugation of the english language. It is offensive and serves no purpose here.

-Rolla
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search