The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Music Makes Cash?
Old 19th February 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Free yet professional? Kind of an oxymoron there.

And why would I want to put a ‘scammer’ out of business? I want in on the scam!
Shhh... the “free” is a part of the scam. Once we get them hooked, we’ll charge an arm and a leg.
Old 27th February 2018
Old 27th February 2018
Give me my deals and give them to me now!!!
Old 27th February 2018
Gear Nut

^ Yep.. sounds like Jesse needed to work for himself anyway he's got that right.
Just this latest endevour..
Old 25th March 2018
Gear Head

Anyone getting paid from this guy yet? I want to hear real success stories of people making ‘real’ cash from their music through this knee-smashing syndicate.
Old 26th April 2018
Jesse is now requiring an application and screening people who want to join The Syndicate. Will you pass the test?

Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Jesse is now requiring an application and screening people who want to join The Syndicate. Will you pass the test?

LOL....

Old 26th April 2018
Gear Maniac

One. Just one. Can just one guy who's making say 5k + a year from MMC step forward?

Just one?

We're still waiting for those MMC success stories so share em here!!! There must be very many judging by the way ol' Jesse is talking.
Old 26th April 2018
Gear Guru

I checked. He still has only one IMDB credit, and that's for 2016. Such a successful guy should have more, right?
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear

I don't really know much about the guy or his model, but he seems cool and is definitely a dood that knows how to hustle. I honestly don't know that I can fault him anymore than Taxi, how-to authors, or even 1,000 software and hardware makers for selling the dream. 78 tracks is not a lot of licenses, but if he got out there and made that happen... that's not easy. Good for him.

It's tough to find really talented composers. You have to have a pipeline as a library. This guy seems to have created a way to not do that on his own dime. As a person who's had to do this, I very much get that.

Is the advice and mentoring he's giving bad? Giving feedback on people's music is soul sucking work. Just like this guy, I get paid to do it every day. I guess the difference is the composers aren't paying me...

Anyway, point being, more and more I just can't fault guys for doing what it takes to make a living in music...whatever that may be.
Old 26th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post
Anyway, point being, more and more I just can't fault guys for doing what it takes to make a living in music...whatever that may be.
I can’t knock his hustle either. But I am not paying $97 a month to join the Syndicate. Hopefully the members are getting some value for their money.
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can’t knock his hustle either. But I am not paying $97 a month to join the Syndicate. Hopefully the members are getting some value for their money.
If people are re-upping their subscription there must be a reason... some kind of information or connection they feel is worth it.

I know of a producer who has an in with a big library- basically whatever he brings, they take. He takes a writer's share of everything he brings to the library (even if he hasn't done squat beyond the connection). I think it's complete garbage, but composers must think it's better than nothing. Some composers obviously feel they've exhausted their options, or are at the end of their limit or ability to sell themselves. It's tough out there.
Old 26th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post
If people are re-upping their subscription there must be a reason... some kind of information or connection they feel is worth it.

I know of a producer who has an in with a big library- basically whatever he brings, they take. He takes a writer's share of everything he brings to the library (even if he hasn't done squat beyond the connection). I think it's complete garbage, but composers must think it's better than nothing. Some composers obviously feel they've exhausted their options, or are at the end of their limit or ability to sell themselves. It's tough out there.
Yeah.. agree it is tough out there now.. esp for newbies (so competitive).

And I think we all know that's what Jesse's game is really. Which is fine as people totally need guidance to begin with.

His decision to screen people recently must mean he's progressing into what looks like his own licensing company.. maybe. And it's been going in that direction.. am I right Jesse? 10 people team better that 1 ??

Anyway hats off to you.. interesting angle though.

But bare in mind when talking about Jesse.. his model is fast turnover/high throughput TV/Ads licensing big noise cheap n cheerful, banging, hard ass'ed sell your sole, cutting edge modern cues with more TRAP clap, HIP HOP, Classical HOP, HOP Rock and more onions please! "most of the time".

There is another side to licensed music.. although fading

Forgot to add .. LOL
Old 27th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by currentstatus View Post
But bare in mind when talking about Jesse.. his model is fast turnover/high throughput TV/Ads licensing big noise cheap n cheerful, banging, hard ass'ed sell your sole, cutting edge modern cues with more TRAP clap, HIP HOP, Classical HOP, HOP Rock and more onions please! "most of the time".

There is another side to licensed music.. although fading

Forgot to add .. LOL
Yes, the bespoke music is being displaced by the modern Hip-hop, Pop, Trailer, and EDM tracks.

I like a good deal of the more subtle music used for background placements. But a lot of the stuff I see on the front pages of music libraries are the uptempo modern stuff.
Old 20th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
It's a bit like sleeping with someone's wife and asking her husband how she liked it.
LMFAO! This is hilarious and accurate.
Old 20th April 2019
Lives for gear

What's wrong with sleeping with someone's wife and asking her husband how she liked it?

To me, that's just being polite.
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
What's wrong with sleeping with someone's wife and asking her husband how she liked it?

To me, that's just being polite.
That’s why I always invite him to stay and watch... but no touching! That’s just weird

This cat isn’t (to me anyway) much different than all of the YouTube channel studio experts who sell their own “academies” and what have you... they’re experts because, well, because they told us they are... outside of that not a credit to be found anywhere on most of them... but somehow plenty of folks fork over loot to get special membership into some exclusive mentoring thing with these cats whose only obvious expertise is that of their hustle and ballz

Outside of acting, music has gotta be the most predatory business on earth... actually way more than acting... because musicians have to buy gear, too.

I will note however that there’s always a lot of criticism with regard to synch and that end of the biz here in GS; however, the folks that make their living with it aren’t particularly willing to give much deeper career development info than “that’s a scam” or “it’s just a matter of a google search”... which, in all fairness, probably is all the info that most amateurs really need because they don’t have the chops, motivation, depth or ruggedness to churn out tune after tune of a decent level of musicality and production value... or, they’re of the more modern electronica sort of creator and there are armies of slave laborers churning that stuff out by the terabyte already.

It would be great to have a more positive mentoring sort of atmosphere where those trying to break in could network with those who are already doing it... whether it be here on GS or through a paywall site or whatever... but, I suspect the “intel hoarding” nature of that niche of the biz might not lend itself to much more than technical advice on production, etc...

Back to the OP for a minute... just by looking at that dude’s last video, that creepy bedroom he’s shooting in doesn’t really speak to a ballin’ playa handing careers to people... looks more like an MI dropout trying not to have to pull an extra Starbucks shift
Old 23rd April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post

Back to the OP for a minute... just by looking at that dude’s last video, that creepy bedroom he’s shooting in doesn’t really speak to a ballin’ playa handing careers to people... looks more like an MI dropout trying not to have to pull an extra Starbucks shift
Old 24th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
I will note however that there’s always a lot of criticism with regard to synch and that end of the biz here in GS; however, the folks that make their living with it aren’t particularly willing to give much deeper career development info than “that’s a scam” or “it’s just a matter of a google search”... which, in all fairness, probably is all the info that most amateurs really need because they don’t have the chops, motivation, depth or ruggedness to churn out tune after tune of a decent level of musicality and production value... or, they’re of the more modern electronica sort of creator and there are armies of slave laborers churning that stuff out by the terabyte already.
I think you hit the nail on the head there.
When the only thing you see is 'Google it man', it's really tricky to get to know the ins and outs of the business.
Of all (that's 4 or 5) people I've found on YouTube, that deals this area of the business, Jesse is the only one that has covered topics such as 'How to structure a track for production music' etc. I mean, I went years writing tracks before anyone told me I should end all my tracks on a hit and not use fade outs for example.
Another example is 'How to stay relevant'.
In my experience, when libraries reject you, you get a reply like 'not what we are looking for right now'.
If your style sounds like something from the mid 90s, it's possible you'll never know, cause the only feedback you ever got was 'not what we're looking for right now'. That's why I really appreciate his videos - the free ones I mean.

Quote:
It would be great to have a more positive mentoring sort of atmosphere where those trying to break in could network with those who are already doing it... whether it be here on GS or through a paywall site or whatever... but, I suspect the “intel hoarding” nature of that niche of the biz might not lend itself to much more than technical advice on production, etc...
It's not just mentoring, although that could be nice as well.
I miss community. You know, a group of like minded people, who all work on production music, give each other feedback, push each other to accomplish more, and help each other out mentally, when you feel like giving up etc.
That's the one reason why I've considered signing up with the 'Syndicate', although I haven't done so yet.

I guess the alternative would be Music library report, although that does seem less community focused.
You don't really find that anywhere else AFAIK.
Old 24th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head there.
When the only thing you see is 'Google it man', it's really tricky to get to know the ins and outs of the business.
Of all (that's 4 or 5) people I've found on YouTube, that deals this area of the business, Jesse is the only one that has covered topics such as 'How to structure a track for production music' etc. I mean, I went years writing tracks before anyone told me I should end all my tracks on a hit and not use fade outs for example.
Another example is 'How to stay relevant'.
In my experience, when libraries reject you, you get a reply like 'not what we are looking for right now'.
If your style sounds like something from the mid 90s, it's possible you'll never know, cause the only feedback you ever got was 'not what we're looking for right now'. That's why I really appreciate his videos - the free ones I mean.

It's not just mentoring, although that could be nice as well.
I miss community. You know, a group of like minded people, who all work on production music, give each other feedback, push each other to accomplish more, and help each other out mentally, when you feel like giving up etc.
That's the one reason why I've considered signing up with the 'Syndicate', although I haven't done so yet.

I guess the alternative would be Music library report, although that does seem less community focused.
You don't really find that anywhere else AFAIK.
If you can afford it, sign up for a month.

I know guys who easily spend $100 on alcohol and cigarettes. Let’s not even talk about the other drugs.

It’s all about getting educated and learning. Never let anyone make you feel guilty for trying to learn more about something you are interested in.

Colleges are jacking up tuition every semester and people are still running like mad to get in!
Old 25th April 2019
Gear Maniac

I'm not going to get into the cluster-f#@k that is this thread.

I just want to say, I signed up for Jesse's Sync Academy, which is only $20 per month and you can cancel at anytime. There's over 100 hours of video training on there and much of it is quite good. I leaned a lot!

There are not many books or schools where you can learn about the music licensing business. So I don't feel ripped off or conned in the slightest. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised with the content.

As far as the Syndicate goes (the $97 a month thing). It's not for me. But there are a lot of people who feel like they need a service like that. They want a little extra hand-holding and support while they are trying to learn the business.

So I don't think calling this a ripoff or con is fair at all.

By the way, are there any of his actual customers speaking negatively about the service?? Or is it all people who like to trash stuff they don't know much about? I haven't read through this whole thread.

I was an actual customer and I have nothing negative to say about it.

Last edited by Cap'n Spanky; 26th April 2019 at 01:31 AM..
Old 25th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Spanky View Post
I leaned a lot!
I like your angle
📝 Reply