The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Swimming Pool - any experience? Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawglee View Post
There is no formula for finding if a library is legit. I would be cautious of that type of advice.
I would be cautious too. A music library is a music library. There is absolutely no difference between one or another. They are all legit. I mean, how could a music library want to be illegitimate?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I've worked for The Swimming Pool. They are legit. I was told about them by the CEO of Apollo Music, as they are one of the libraries that they distribute. Their albums are available to hear and view on The Diner - 20,000 Track Customizable Production Music Library
Really professional that. Especially love the ad for a FREE Adobe Premier extension. Nice touch. Gonna be sending them my reel later fo sho.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've worked for The Swimming Pool. They are legit.
Where on their site can we see the spots where they've placed music?
Maybe it's just me but I can't seem to find their past syncs/placements anywhere.

What are their terms?
Oh wait, I have to send them my email first before even getting a glimpse of that.
I see, and still, you want me to take a 'dip in the pool'?

Quote:
I was told about them by the CEO of Apollo Music, as they are one of the libraries that they distribute. Their albums are available to hear and view on The Diner - 20,000 Track Customizable Production Music Library and also Findthetune | Production Music | Music Library | Music Licensing | Music For TV, Commercials, YouTube, Trailers & Films | Music Consultancy & Supervision.

Very sterile looking website, and the music, well, jury's out on that, ahem.
Just had a quick listen and if I'm a music supervisor working on important projects, this is not where I'll be looking for tracks.

Quote:
There is no formula for finding if a library is legit.
Yes, there is.
You're not looking hard enough, or simply need guidance.
We can certainly post some links to drive that point home, should you still be unconvinced.

Quote:
I would be cautious of that type of advice.
As should you.

Oh, and nice first post, hopefully you can do better on your next one.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
I would be cautious too. A music library is a music library. There is absolutely no difference between one or another. They are all legit. I mean, how could a music library want to be illegitimate?
Sorry mate, I think you've forgotten the original question. Perhaps go back and have another little look and refresh your memory. As for your quote "A music library is a music library. There is absolutely no difference between one or another." I'm not sure what you're trying to say. This is nonsensical.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Sorry mate, I think you've forgotten the original question. Perhaps go back and have another little look and refresh your memory. As for your quote "A music library is a music library. There is absolutely no difference between one or another." I'm not sure what you're trying to say. This is nonsensical.
There is this new thing called 'sarcasm' that I was using. Sorry that you did not catch it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
There is this new thing called 'sarcasm' that I was using. Sorry that you did not catch it.
So what are you actually saying? Try to make some sense yeah?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
I checked out the site a few weeks ago. I decided not to move forward. It just seemed like another stock music library site that collects tracks, but doesn't promote the music.
I'm guessing that means they didn't take any of your music.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Oh my, didn't realize that would link to a single post by, er... me?
One filled with nothing but love, ha!

No but seriously, Jeff, most regulars here are familiar with my tirade regarding those types of services.
The truth is, it's not to be hateful, much less spiteful for any reason other than:

- There are really so many of them now it's doing my head in.
- Take Swimming Pool, for example, again, no evidence of past work, placements, success stories, nothing.
- Even The Diner website, yeah seeing a McDonalds, CBS and Audi logos are nice and all, but where is the work?
- They ask you to read a contract, give your email, sign-up, and THEN decide if you music is worthy. Not cool.

That's just skimming the surface.

I wish I knew more about how they operate to chime in with a more informed opinion, but alas, that's all they give us.
I verbally ripped a new one for Hit License in a thread some time ago, and to me it just feels like all these new sites popping up are simply using this generic, corporate looking template, luring you in with those composer-friendly terms, asking you to join and submit your tracks, without a clue as to how they really are, where their offices are located, what have they done in the past, nothing.

Perhaps you will get that "aha!" PM with someone convincing you to give it a shot, maybe deep down I hope you do so we can all learn from it and see what's behind the veil, for thus far, all I can think is that anyone can put together a very similar site in one afternoon, give it a cool name and put on this "cool and hip music company facade" get hundreds of tracks within a few weeks and bam, who's to know what they are doing to them, with them, etc.

Even Songtradr, which I really thought of differently and signed up with, have now changed their platform with a submission credits system, pay to play more, and higher commission rates than their prior MO.
You see pics of music events with Songtradr booths, etc, so yes, it shows they are real and we've read a few counts of people here who actually know the founders and claim them to be legit. That is all cool in my book, of course, but again, you go to their site, not one single clip of an advert, film scene, tv show, opening theme, nothing. A small list of "recently licensed tracks" and that's it. Just as you said above, it says nothing.

I don't mean to hate on them, really I don't, I simply can't see the credibility with such a lack of transparency.

So if anyone took a dip in the swimming pool and found pink sea-horses and topless mermaids at the bottom just shelling out Benjamins, please let us know and I'll go get my swim trunks.
So, you know nothing about the library, but you are still 'chiming in' with a huge amount of waffle. You don't have any experience with this library, so why comment? The original question wasn't 'what do people think about this library' it was asking if anyone had had any experience with them.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Where on their site can we see the spots where they've placed music?
Maybe it's just me but I can't seem to find their past syncs/placements anywhere.

What are their terms?
Oh wait, I have to send them my email first before even getting a glimpse of that.
I see, and still, you want me to take a 'dip in the pool'?
Try contacting them maybe? Lol. These are just mindless observations with no experience.

Very sterile looking website, and the music, well, jury's out on that, ahem.
Just had a quick listen and if I'm a music supervisor working on important projects, this is not where I'll be looking for tracks.
How do you qualify to make this observation?

Yes, there is.
You're not looking hard enough, or simply need guidance.
We can certainly post some links to drive that point home, should you still be unconvinced.
I'm 100% certain that I am more successful than yourself, with longer running and wider experience than you sunshine. This comment is so condescending I feel embarrassed for you. If you're going to reply to threads, try actually answering the question posted.

As should you.

Oh, and nice first post, hopefully you can do better on your next one.
Hey - I actually answered the original question, unlike yourself. How hypocritical can you get? Haha. Massive fail on your part.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lornemalvo View Post
Really professional that. Especially love the ad for a FREE Adobe Premier extension. Nice touch. Gonna be sending them my reel later fo sho.
Thanks for this useful input. I was just answering the original question. Send your 'reel' wherever you like buddy, none of my business.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
I'm guessing that means they didn't take any of your music.
No they did not. I became sad and defensive afterwards. I fell into a really deep and dark depression afterwards. How can I go on?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
So, you know nothing about the library, but you are still 'chiming in' with a huge amount of waffle. You don't have any experience with this library, so why comment?
Why comment?
It's a friggin' discussion board, hello.

Most of us don't know much about the library because they really aren't saying much of anything on their website, should you not have noticed.

Quote:
The original question wasn't 'what do people think about this library' it was asking if anyone had had any experience with them.
I see nothing wrong with exchanging opinions and engaging in a dialogue about them.
Again, this is a discussion forum, so going beyond a "yes I have worked for them or no I haven't" is, imo, anything but hypocritical.
The fact that my opinion about this library (and also on the sister thread about the equally engaging "Hit License" library) has ruffled your feathers to such an extent says a lot about who you may be, but onwards.

As for the library itself, really no need to retread what's already been said.
I was simply pointing out facts about the way they present themselves online and why they don't appear very credible, not to me and not to a lot of seasoned folks in this community.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've worked for The Swimming Pool. They are legit. I was told about them by the CEO of Apollo Music, as they are one of the libraries that they distribute. Their albums are available to hear and view on The Diner - 20,000 Track Customizable Production Music Library and also Findthetune | Production Music | Music Library | Music Licensing | Music For TV, Commercials, YouTube, Trailers & Films | Music Consultancy & Supervision. There is no formula for finding if a library is legit. I would be cautious of that type of advice.
Ok great, then let us ask you, have you landed any placements with them?
I mean, why not turn this circus of a discussion into something more constrictive and positive.

Why not share with us where your music has been placed?
If you've only submitted but they haven't landed any syncs, that's cool too, tell us more about the experience, what was it like working for them?

The past tense in your opening line suggests that you no longer work with them, is that correct?
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Ok great, then let us ask you, have you landed any placements with them?
I mean, why not turn this circus of a discussion into something more constrictive and positive.

Why not share with us where your music has been placed?
If you've only submitted but they haven't landed any syncs, that's cool too, tell us more about the experience, what was it like working for them?

The past tense in your opening line suggests that you no longer work with them, is that correct?
Don’t pay that guy any attention.

In more serious news, FindTheTune offers blanket licensing options for people who need music for YouTube videos. Prices start as low as $13 a month for access to over 15,000 songs.

Findthetune - Youtube Subscription

I realize that I did sign some cues to Apollo about 10 years ago. They are on FindTheTune. Oh boy, what did I do? LOL!

No worries, as these tracks have made tens of dollars in royalties since they were released. They are pretty basic stuff.

Hopefully these YouTube cats get my songs on their videos so I can gain exposure.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hey - I actually answered the original question, unlike yourself. How hypocritical can you get? Haha. Massive fail on your part.
You seem a bit stressed out dude. Bad day at the office? Did Fruity Loops crash?

Maybe you should go for a dip in your local swimming pool.

Haha! ROFL LOL etc...
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Hi Mawglee, welcome to the GS Music For Picture forum. I notice you just joined to respond to this thread and almost all 10 of your total posts are in this one thread defending and talking up The Swimming Pool.

While I personally value everyone's input... and you could very well be a composer who has had good experiences with The Swimming Pool... history and experience has shown all of us that when someone jumps into a thread with a new user profile and starts writing posts with links that sound very much like an advertisement/pitch for the company in question... they are usually employees of said company coming here incognito.

Not that there is anything overtly wrong with that, but I for one like to see transparency when that happens. I'm not saying I am convinced you are an masked advertisement for the company... but what I am saying is that it is very suspect. I hope and look forward to your continued participation in the various threads on this board and really do hope you become an active member in this online community. But only time will tell...

Cheers!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I've worked for The Swimming Pool.
Do you still work for them? I just don't get why you're waving about it so much.

Sorry if poeple here have been a bit dismissive of you. Hope that didn't get you drown too much, but you have kinda jumped in at the deep end here and your posts - which have been a bit shallow tbh - have definitely caused a few ripples.

Personally, I am not impressed with the website and lack of info/credits...I mean, how do you even listen to the library stuff? Oh, you go elsewhere ahh yeah. It's just all so amateurish. It's just a site to aimlessley click around.

Yeah, library music can be a real life saver but I don't think the future is with companies like this.

Hey, but whatever floats your boat.

All the vest.

Lorne
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:

Hey, but whatever floats your boat.
Must be a pretty big pool.

(Or a pretty small boat)
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Anyone notice that libraries without budgets always attract these long drawn out threads about if they're good or not..

Contrast that with budget based libraries.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Hi all, yes it's true I did get my feathers ruffled. It is the first time I posted here, you’re right.

I intended to respond to the original question (I think i replied using Quick Reply to the whole feed instead of Quote on the guys original question. Rookie error). I got some snipy replies, which I wasn't prepared for. My reactions to those posts were pretty infantile, as I was angry actually. Rather than just drop out and delete my account (which I was going to do), I'll try again.

I'm not saying that this library is anything special. I never alluded to that. They do not have high end sub-publishing, and they are a young label. I was just merely stating that they were a legitimate company, and not just collecting as many pieces as possible in order to sell the catalogue as some have mentioned on this feed. They release a few albums at a time, in around 3 month intervals.

I released an album through Apollo, and they mentioned this library, so I thought I’d give them a go. It’s too early to tell what the return is like, as you all know it takes years to asses that properly, but they are pleasant to deal with and seem hungry.

I was mentioning being careful of having a formula when assessing publishers on their websites, as I have had cases where returns were better than expected, and also less than expected with better looking companies. Production music/library music is a long game (as I know you all know), and you never know how a library will grow in the future. Sometimes it’s good to get in with young libraries, and make solid connections with those staffing those libraries as their careers will also grow and morph, often giving you future opportunities when/if they move to better and more far reaching publishers. I think it’s best to sow as many seeds as possible, with publishers specializing in certain regions.

Obviously their is a hierarchy, and it’s always best to place your best music (probably the projects you have invested the most time in) with the best publisher you have a relationship with. But as I said, I think it’s also good to provide music to young publishers (perhaps material that is less valuable and has taken less time and effort) in order to see how it develops. It’s kind of a gamble, but it is also educational.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
Hi Mawglee, welcome to the GS Music For Picture forum. I notice you just joined to respond to this thread and almost all 10 of your total posts are in this one thread defending and talking up The Swimming Pool.

While I personally value everyone's input... and you could very well be a composer who has had good experiences with The Swimming Pool... history and experience has shown all of us that when someone jumps into a thread with a new user profile and starts writing posts with links that sound very much like an advertisement/pitch for the company in question... they are usually employees of said company coming here incognito.

Not that there is anything overtly wrong with that, but I for one like to see transparency when that happens. I'm not saying I am convinced you are an masked advertisement for the company... but what I am saying is that it is very suspect. I hope and look forward to your continued participation in the various threads on this board and really do hope you become an active member in this online community. But only time will tell...

Cheers!
Hi Derek. I posted a comment on The Swimming pool. It was my first comment, and the responses were unexpected. The other 10 posts were me defending my original comment (in a unproductive way I must admit) as I wasn’t expecting the negative and condensing responses. I have no experience here (on gearslutz).
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
You seem a bit stressed out dude. Bad day at the office? Did Fruity Loops crash?

Maybe you should go for a dip in your local swimming pool.

Haha! ROFL LOL etc...
Sorry - first post here, and yeah the responses did get under my skin. I'm hoping to get less responses like this "You seem a bit stressed out dude. Bad day at the office? Did Fruity Loops crash?" next time. Let's see.

In answer to your question, I don't work in an office, and haven't done so for more than a decade, so you probably have more experience than me in that area. Fruity Loops? Haha - good one.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hi all, yes it's true I did get my feathers ruffled. It is the first time I posted here, you’re right.

I intended to respond to the original question (I think i replied using Quick Reply to the whole feed instead of Quote on the guys original question. Rookie error). I got some snipy replies, which I wasn't prepared for. My reactions to those posts were pretty infantile, as I was angry actually. Rather than just drop out and delete my account (which I was going to do), I'll try again.

I'm not saying that this library is anything special. I never alluded to that. They do not have high end sub-publishing, and they are a young label. I was just merely stating that they were a legitimate company, and not just collecting as many pieces as possible in order to sell the catalogue as some have mentioned on this feed. They release a few albums at a time, in around 3 month intervals.

I released an album through Apollo, and they mentioned this library, so I thought I’d give them a go. It’s too early to tell what the return is like, as you all know it takes years to asses that properly, but they are pleasant to deal with and seem hungry.

I was mentioning being careful of having a formula when assessing publishers on their websites, as I have had cases where returns were better than expected, and also less than expected with better looking companies. Production music/library music is a long game (as I know you all know), and you never know how a library will grow in the future. Sometimes it’s good to get in with young libraries, and make solid connections with those staffing those libraries as their careers will also grow and morph, often giving you future opportunities when/if they move to better and more far reaching publishers. I think it’s best to sow as many seeds as possible, with publishers specializing in certain regions.

Obviously their is a hierarchy, and it’s always best to place your best music (probably the projects you have invested the most time in) with the best publisher you have a relationship with. But as I said, I think it’s also good to provide music to young publishers (perhaps material that is less valuable and has taken less time and effort) in order to see how it develops. It’s kind of a gamble, but it is also educational.
Do you have a lead on any Japanese music? I need some for my library and noticed you're in Tokyo!!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Excellent info.
Thanks for sharing!
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Hi Derek. I posted a comment on The Swimming pool. It was my first comment, and the responses were unexpected. The other 10 posts were me defending my original comment (in a unproductive way I must admit) as I wasn’t expecting the negative and condensing responses. I have no experience here (on gearslutz).
No worries. Welcome to the community!!! And I can see it's been a fiery welcome by some of the regulars on here! Hahahaha!

The one good thing about the Music For Picture forum on GS compared to most of the other forums on GS is that most of us that mainly post in this forum are professional music composers and music publishers. So there are very few armchair experts in this forum. Which can be a great thing for the exchange of information. But sometimes it can get a little rough on someone new, especially when that someone is trying to make an honest post about their experiences with a company in their first post.

We do get frequent visits from 1st time posters who are really nothing more than advertisements from a library's marketing person, trying to artificially talk up certain their library to attract composers, and then they mysteriously disappear never to post again.

Jump around the forum, chime in on different threads, and once everyone notices you are a real person and not an advertisement, you won't get so much negative push back from your comments/responses.

Cheers!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
No worries. Welcome to the community!!! And I can see it's been a fiery welcome by some of the regulars on here! Hahahaha!

The one good thing about the Music For Picture forum on GS compared to most of the other forums on GS is that most of us that mainly post in this forum are professional music composers and music publishers. So there are very few armchair experts in this forum. Which can be a great thing for the exchange of information. But sometimes it can get a little rough on someone new, especially when that someone is trying to make an honest post about their experiences with a company in their first post.

We do get frequent visits from 1st time posters who are really nothing more than advertisements from a library's marketing person, trying to artificially talk up certain their library to attract composers, and then they mysteriously disappear never to post again.

Jump around the forum, chime in on different threads, and once everyone notices you are a real person and not an advertisement, you won't get so much negative push back from your comments/responses.

Cheers!
I see - thanks for letting me know. Hopefully I can develop more positive connections going forward.

I noticed you engineer at the Megatrax Recording Studios? I have some material coming out through Fantasy Production Music (on their iDOCS series) with Megatrax. I didn't know they had a studio.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFulford View Post
Do you have a lead on any Japanese music? I need some for my library and noticed you're in Tokyo!!
I know some musicians and bands here, but I don't know any Japanese composers as such. What kind of thing are you looking for?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
I see - thanks for letting me know. Hopefully I can develop more positive connections going forward.

I noticed you engineer at the Megatrax Recording Studios? I have some material coming out through Fantasy Production Music (on their iDOCS series) with Megatrax. I didn't know they had a studio.
Man... I am so mad... I had this big reply I was writing you and then my computer froze up and I lost it all.

So... now I'll have to make this brief! LOL

That's awesome that you write for Fantasy, we love Ossi!!! He is awesome! He was just here a couple weeks ago!

Second, yeah our studios are killer. We actually have 3 here in the same facility, but Studio A is the flagship. Those are where all the pics on the yelp page are in. The studio was famous back in the day. Bruce Hornsby, Don Henley, The Police, etc have all made famous albums here.

It's kind of surreal being able to call this place my "office". Hahahaha... Most of the time when people say they have a studio it's a spare bedroom with some speakers and a midi keyboard. It's fun when I invite people over for the first time to see "my studio". The look on their faces is priceless.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search