The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
1,000 Tracks A Year?
Old 5th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4 View Post
Finally got in with APM just over a year ago. Took them a year to pay my fee because they 'forgot.'
I wish i could say i was surprised :/
Old 5th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFulford View Post
Here's the list, in no order

Killer Tracks (high budgets)

Firstcom (high budgets)

Megatrax (owner operated so it's easy to talk to a "decision maker")

WCPM (Jon Platt is running things for now, this makes things VERY interesting). I was about to throw down a years worth of rent to be the official music sponsor Real Screen West when WCPM beat me to the punch.

NOT on this list..

BMG - don't know what they're doing
APM - more concerned with coffee stations and logo napkins than music.
John Fulford Music - only available in 3 territories, guy running it is a major pain in the ass.
Would you suggest having albums ready to go for Killer Tracks & Firstcom or getting in touch with some existing work and seeing what they need?
Old 5th May 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
Would you suggest having albums ready to go for Killer Tracks & Firstcom or getting in touch with some existing work and seeing what they need?
I have never had any luck walking into an library and saying "hey, look at what I've done in the past...." The answer I always get is "nice. give us a call when you have something we can put in our library." When you have what they want, and when it's right, they will snap it right up.
Old 5th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
I have never had any luck walking into an library and saying "hey, look at what I've done in the past...."
Oddly enough, this is exactly how I've procured agreements with every library and production company since I began in this business, which once again shows that every path is different.

Once an agreement has been reached, it's just been a matter of determining what type of albums/cues that I'll create for the client. Some of the owners/creatives have been more "hands on" and some haven't said a word. I prefer writing on assignment or with a clear vision of an album as opposed to just writing to just write, but everyone's approach is different.

Old 5th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have never had any luck walking into an library and saying "hey, look at what I've done in the past...." The answer I always get is "nice. give us a call when you have something we can put in our library." When you have what they want, and when it's right, they will snap it right up.
See, I've either pitched albums or they've asked me to do something.

I did pitch 2 trailer cue albums and I'm working on them currently. But having something ready to go sounds like another path to try. Risky however.
Old 5th May 2017
Gear Head

It seems like I've started an awesome discussion here. That was my goal
Old 5th May 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRolla View Post
It seems like I've started an awesome discussion here. That was my goal
YOU!!!

Are unbelievably awesome!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

That's what you wanted to hear, right?

Old 5th May 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
YOU!!!

Are unbelievably awesome!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

That's what you wanted to hear, right?

Not from somebody like you.
Old 5th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Big money libraries default to using their established stable of writers.

SUPES are always looking for the NEWEST music.

Forget trying to do a CD for a library, try and license the tracks directly to supes..
Old 5th May 2017
Quote:
Here's the list, in no order

Killer Tracks (high budgets)

Firstcom (high budgets)

Megatrax (owner operated so it's easy to talk to a "decision maker")

WCPM (Jon Platt is running things for now, this makes things VERY interesting). I was about to throw down a years worth of rent to be the official music sponsor Real Screen West when WCPM beat me to the punch.

NOT on this list..

John Fulford Music - only available in 3 territories, guy running it is a major pain in the ass.
Here's a big thing for people new to this to understand...

There is a difference between a production company and the distribution publisher.

For those of us who work a lot in the industry we understand that when John says companies like Killer Tracks or WCPM, that he is also talking about the independently owned production companies that are distributed by Killer Tracks and WCPM.

All of the "big" music libraries represent smaller libraries. Some still have their own catalogs that they produce "in-house". But they also have A LOT of catalogs that they do not own or produce, they merely represent for licensing.

To give you an example of that... West One Music from the UK had been distributed and represented by APM here in the US for a long time. Just a few years ago they left and are now working directly in the US (they hired their own US staff and have an office in LA). So years ago writing for West One meant you had music in APM... a few years ago it got pulled out of APM and now West One represents and does all their US licensing themselves.

Saying you should write for APM doesn't mean writing for APM. You could write for one of the catalogs they represent and you are then writing for APM.

Sonoton is the largest independently owned music catalog in the world. Sonoton is distributed by APM in the US. But to write for Sonoton you do not contact APM, you contact Sonoton. Liquid Cinema is an underscore catalog owned and produced by film/TV composer Jeff Rona. Liquid Cinema is distributed and represented by APM. To write for Liquid Cinema you do not contact APM, you contact Liquid Cinema and Jeff Rona (or one of the three other people that work for Jeff at Liquid Cinema). And when you get tracks into Liquid Cinema, they show up on the APM website here in the US and APM is licensing your tracks in the US. Liquid Cinema is Represented by BMG in the UK, Flipper Music in Italy, Studio Fontana in the Czech Republic, Encore Merci in France, etc... So you could say "I Hate APM, I don't want to write for them..." But writing for Liquid Cinema you are getting music into APM in the US, but outside the US it is with all these different publishers.

Noise Refinery is a catalog created by Robert Navarro and it is distributed and represented by West One Music worldwide. Pop Machine is a catalog also created by Robert Navarro which is distributed and represented by APM here in the US, but it is distributed by Sonoton in Germany and Austria, by BMG in the UK, Dennis Music in the Netherlands, Music Media in Italy, Illust Music in Japan, and so on...

So to just say, who are the big "libraries" and how do I write for them... you have to look at the production companies that make the catalogs they represent and start approaching more of those production companies instead of the big distributors themselves.

Some of the bigger ones in the US also do make their own music too... Killer Tracks, Ole/5 Alarm, Firstcom, Megatrax, Warner/Chappell, etc all have a few catalogs that they produce in house and hire composers directly to write those for them. The difficult thing is figuring out which catalogs are maintained in-house vs which catalogs are owned and maintained by another company.
Old 6th May 2017
Gear Guru

Etch - now my head hurts.......
Is there going to be a test?

Old 6th May 2017
Quote:
NOT on this list..

Sad, I had 1,000 cues with metadata ready for JFM.
Old 6th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Sad, I had 1,000 cues with metadata ready for JFM.
I ain't really messing with instrumental cues anymore unless they're of an authentic ethnic traditional variety. Songs are the future.
Old 6th May 2017
Quote:
I ain't really messing with instrumental cues anymore unless they're of an authentic ethnic traditional variety. Songs are the future.
You are a genius.

You'll probably be winning a Grammy soon.
Old 7th May 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Songs are the future.
Not on the kinds of in-show underscore I work on. Montages, sure, and a couple of places in the show, and of course any source, but not for underscore. No way. That is unless I've REALLY missed what the future is holding.....
Old 9th May 2017
Here for the gear

It can be done... and it will generate revenue too. But the effort involved measured against the return on investment is not anywhere near worth it. I've done it. Believe me when I say... you're better off getting one track done a day (or week)!
The upside to the "1000 tracks a year" pace/result, is that you garner the attention from the "major" libraries. They want to know that they are dealing with a seasoned vet that can produce volume when required/requested.
EVERYBODY knows that with speed/quantity, quality is sacrificed. But as was stated previously, production music "just has to work".
It's more often than not, buried under dialogue, foley and SFX. It just has to provide that jaded, angry, over-caffeinated and exhausted music editor the vibe he/she needs for that scene... so they can move and be done with the job!!!

It worked for me... and when they do a search of your PRO catalog and IMDb credits, they're satisfied. Then you're in. Cruel business... is what it is. But it boils down to "are you qualified? Are you experienced? Show us your junk" (at which point, you unzip and turn your head)...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

noob question but, what is the average lifespan of tracks placed in music libraries? I can immagine a big variable is style and quality of recording/composition but something I still dont get my head around is wether all this masses of music already in exhistence is being very often recycled or why would otherwise even big libraries put out several albums of new material (often similar to older albums already in their catalogue) every month??
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornemalvo View Post
Those major libs don't want stuff that sounds 'too good' as it detracts from the voiceover. Mediocrity really is king.
I don't find that to be true. Not doubting that someone at some point told you that, but I find that libs of all sizes want the production to be top-notch.

Cheers.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzop View Post
what is the average lifespan of tracks placed in music libraries?
There is no one correct answer to that. In general, pretty short; most prod. companies want new music. I am sure you can find composers who wrote cues this year who, in 20 years, will tell you that those cues saw life only in 2019.

On the other hand, I am sure you can find composers who wrote cues 20 years ago, who will tell you that those cues still get used today.

Cheers.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Oh yeah, the 'major' libraries luuuuurve composers that can knock em out like at 1000 year. It shows them you aren't gonna over hone or over craft your material. Those major libs don't want stuff that sounds 'too good' as it detracts from the voiceover. Mediocrity really is king.
Not sure where that came from. That has never been my experience. They only want the TOP music they can get - and often reject even a good portion of that. Now, they DO want music that doesn't necessarily compete with dialog, but that's got nothing to do with how good they want the music to sound. Writing production music in not the same as writing songs.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm 100% sure Lornemalvo is being sarcastic.
Old 4 weeks ago
Talking

Quote:
I'm 100% sure Lornemalvo is being sarcastic.
Ah man, you spoiled it!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
fused with some tasteful midi wind instruments

Really? C'mon man, you're giving away all the secrets now.

Quote:
one of my sax-o-spheres got a 5 sec usage on 'Skating with Celebrities' a few years ago
Hilariously speaking of skating, here's a unique situation I have no idea how even begin with. An original arrangement of a movie theme I did back (with a sax) in like '98 showed up in a skating competition a couple of years ago! Someone emailed me a link when they heard it. Turns out a Russian couple used my song in a Canadian Skating competition, but the broadcast I was sent was from Rai TV in Italy.

I didn't even bother trying to figure out if I'm owed anything for that or who even to approach. Seems pointless. I got a bigger kick that someone used it since I had samples of machine guns and screaming in the background of the piece.

Last edited by ionian; 4 weeks ago at 06:24 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Hey guys.

I'm JayRolla.

Just finished 1000 tracks this year.

Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngrichyrich View Post
Hey guys.

I'm JayRolla.

Sweet. Make another 1000. You got 5 more months left.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Sweet. Make another 1000. You got 5 more months left.
Challenge accepted
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Challenge accepted
LMAO!
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Hey guys.

I'm JayRolla.

You really shutdown this thread.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Awesome!

Can we hear some?
Turn on any major TV channel for an hour and you should come across something
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

nice. lol...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search