The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Movie Soundtrack rights?
Old 11th February 2004
Gear Addict

Movie Soundtrack rights?

A band I've worked with in the past is looking record and release a 'tribute' of sorts. They will be recording the major themes from the soundtrack to a 'cult classic' 70's horror film. They have asked me about licensing and other legal considerations, but I really don't know the first thing about it.

Does anyone know what the appropriate legal steps are to record and release something like this?

If it is relevant, the original artist, and the label that is currently issuing the soundtrack are both based in Europe.

Thanks.

- jon
Old 11th February 2004
Lives for gear

The first thing I would do is contact the label and/or original artist and find out who owns the music rights. Then negotiate a deal with whoever the owner is.

It would definitely be worth it to have an entertainment attorney involved. Your band may actually want to start by finding an attorney experienced in such matters, and then either have the attorney handle the whole thing or operate under the attorney's guidance.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search