The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Source Audio Alternatives
Old 3rd April 2017
Gear Maniac

Source Audio Alternatives

Hi Guys!
Can anyone recommend any alternatives to Source Audio? This question has been asked before, but don't think it's been answered.
I'm also wondering what apps people use to organize library tracks on their computers. I'm using itunes, but it's a bit messy with all my day to day listening music mixed in as well.
Any thoughts?
Old 4th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermosey View Post
Hi Guys!
Can anyone recommend any alternatives to Source Audio? This question has been asked before, but don't think it's been answered.
I'm also wondering what apps people use to organize library tracks on their computers. I'm using itunes, but it's a bit messy with all my day to day listening music mixed in as well.
Any thoughts?
For what purpose? Source audio serves several function including an online marketplace for licensing.

There is really no "one" alternative that does everything source audio does. In order to not use it you will have to use several different apps.

But I would say the closest thing is probably protunes but even that isn't exactly the same functionality.
Old 4th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Really for my computer. I recognize source audios online capabilities-- although to me it's really ugly.
I'd love to have an alternative to itunes for organizing tracks and being able to find them quickly be genre or length ect. I send a lot of library out for various projects and it typically starts by searching through itunes. I suppose I could upload to SA but again I hate how it looks
Old 4th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermosey View Post
Really for my computer. I recognize source audios online capabilities-- although to me it's really ugly.
I'd love to have an alternative to itunes for organizing tracks and being able to find them quickly be genre or length ect. I send a lot of library out for various projects and it typically starts by searching through itunes. I suppose I could upload to SA but again I hate how it looks
have you tried sound miner yet? That is a probably the biggest off the shelf solution music supervisors use.

Home - Soundminer Storefront
Old 4th April 2017
Gear Maniac

If all you're after is a simple, searchable app for organising your own music then maybe check out Composer Catalog - Composer Catalog | Software created for writers, by a writer. Soundminer is an industry standard but may be overkill, depending on exactly what you're after.
Old 4th April 2017
Lives for gear

Why not use Source Audio? They have the watermarking feature which is great!!

I've been thinking of getting Sound Miner in addition to Source audio since some big money clients of mine require Sound Miner formatted metadata..
Old 4th April 2017
For personal catalog organization, I recently switched from Excel to Airtable (free online app), and it has made my life quite a bit easier.

Keeps everything in one place for simple searching and if you click on the writer or publisher's name, all their info pops up.

Take's a little bit of time to setup and customize to your specific needs, but I made a template for what I use and anyone can use the "copy base" button in the top right corner.

https://airtable.com/shrARcVtfT5Dkeae6

Obviously not meant for any client based interfacing but is another option for keeping track of your own stuff.
Old 4th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFulford View Post

I've been thinking of getting Sound Miner in addition to Source audio since some big money clients of mine require Sound Miner formatted metadata..
For me I just hate how Source Audio looks. I've seen people use soundcloud with custom players that look much nicer. This question was more about organizing tracks on my computer. I'm definitely going to look at what was recommended above
Old 4th April 2017
Quote:

John,

You do realize that Source Audio can format your metadata for Sound Miner for you, right? They have it as a preset template. You can also make your own custom metadata presets in Source Audio but the preset templates they have already programmed for you are:

Dashbox
Harvest
Landmark
Netmix
ProTunes
Scripps
Sound Miner
Tunesat

Go to "File Delivery" and under the "third parties" tab you can see the preset list.

You can make your own custom music access profiles in the Manage Metadata page under the downloading tab.
Old 4th April 2017
Lives for gear

Oh yea totally, that's what I'm doing now when i send them a new album, however I'm at a disadvantage because i can't see how my metadata looks in a truly native Soundminer environment unless i go to the clients' offices and ask them to pull up my library.

I want to make sure my artwork looks correct, that there's no weird spaces or dashes etc..

You should see how some of these libraries look in the source audio database. The keywords are where the descriptions should be, some of the artist names are simply a "*" etc.. I'm paranoid thats how my catalogue looks in Soundminer haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
John,

You do realize that Source Audio can format your metadata for Sound Miner for you, right? They have it as a preset template. You can also make your own custom metadata presets in Source Audio but the preset templates they have already programmed for you are:

Dashbox
Harvest
Landmark
Netmix
ProTunes
Scripps
Sound Miner
Tunesat

Go to "File Delivery" and under the "third parties" tab you can see the preset list.

You can make your own custom music access profiles in the Manage Metadata page under the downloading tab.
Old 4th April 2017
Quote:
Oh yea totally, that's what I'm doing now when i send them a new album, however I'm at a disadvantage because i can't see how my metadata looks in a truly native Soundminer environment unless i go to the clients' offices and ask them to pull up my library.

I want to make sure my artwork looks correct, that there's no weird spaces or dashes etc..

You should see how some of these libraries look in the source audio database. The keywords are where the descriptions should be, some of the artist names are simply a "*" etc.. I'm paranoid thats how my catalogue looks in Soundminer haha
Yeah, and sound miner uses there own encrypted metadata fields (they don't use ID3 tags) so while ID3 tags can map into sound miner... it's not the same as metadata encrypted into the files using sound miner.

I hear ya...

Hopefully, as metadata become more and more important all the companies can agree on a more robust standard than ID3. It would be great to have a very useful and wide sweeping standardization of metadata tagging fields.
Old 10th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortTon View Post
For personal catalog organization, I recently switched from Excel to Airtable (free online app), and it has made my life quite a bit easier.

Keeps everything in one place for simple searching and if you click on the writer or publisher's name, all their info pops up.

Take's a little bit of time to setup and customize to your specific needs, but I made a template for what I use and anyone can use the "copy base" button in the top right corner.

https://airtable.com/shrARcVtfT5Dkeae6

Obviously not meant for any client based interfacing but is another option for keeping track of your own stuff.
Dude, this is awesome!! For one, I hadn't heard of Airtable before and two, you've really nailed all of the crucial elements. Really appreciative of this since I was just starting to create a custom spreadsheet on Google Drive...you've saved me many hours of work!
Old 10th April 2017
Lives for gear

I don't see Soundmouse mentioned here. That's a big one among broadcasters for search and organization.
Old 11th June 2017
Here for the gear

I'm on the same path looking for a great online solution to manage my catalog and metadata. I currently trying out Soundgizmo (made by Synctank) but I'm not really feeling them either. Their look and price structure isn't sitting right with my needs.
Old 31st October 2017
Here for the gear

I use DISCO and it's awesome at managing my music files. It’s really flexible and can be set up in a number of ways to fit specific needs. The best thing is that you basically never have to use Dropbox/Box again. I just create a playlist or song and share a customized link to stream of download with my recipients. Adding metadata is so clutch and stays with each file. Also, when you upload a WAV or AIF, DISCO auto converts the file to an mp3 too.
Old 15th September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkamerer View Post
Dude, this is awesome!! For one, I hadn't heard of Airtable before and two, you've really nailed all of the crucial elements. Really appreciative of this since I was just starting to create a custom spreadsheet on Google Drive...you've saved me many hours of work!
Question for those using Airtable! It seems like a really simple and nice option. And considering you can create a link that is read-only it could also be used to share with clients if they would like to search through your tracks/metadata and find something they like. However I've found a couple glitches that are really holding me up with Airtable. One, half of the audio files I've attached don't show the name of the song, it's just a blank audio file cell... so it looks like they aren't there at all. Then, once you start playing a song as soon as you scroll away from that cell it stops playing. Seems like it would be very annoying for clients. Has anyone experienced this or have a fix?

For what it's worth, I've looked into and tried a trial of every conceivable platform for this and I've been very disappointed in all of them so far....
Old 15th September 2019
Source Audio seems like the clearest solution to me.
Old 15th September 2019
Here for the gear

yes I seem to have gravitated back towards source audio being the only realistic option that has a client-facing portal, even though It's not amazing or aesthetically satisfying in any way. DISCO is a really cool platform, but does not have client-facing option. Though DISCO told me they will be introducing that feature soonish, I think they said within a year. If you're reading this post some months from it's posting date try to check out DISCO and see if they've implemented that feature yet, I think it'll be pretty cool.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search