The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Top Music Library/Publishing companies for 2017?
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Addict
Top Music Library/Publishing companies for 2017?

For a newbie, what are the Top Music Library/Publishing companies you have done business with?

I'm looking for someone who doesn't expect the money to flow in the wrong direction. I believe they should take a cut out of any sales made, but I shouldn't be sending them money up front (No Taxi type outfits). I'm also not interested in any exclusivity agreements unless I'm paid in advance. Other than that I'm flexible on rates, percentage, etc.

thanks in advance.
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Head

The libraries that pay upfront.

FirstCom
Killertracks
Megatrax
Extreme
EMI
APM
BMG
5 Alarm
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetAnR View Post
The libraries that pay upfront.

FirstCom
Killertracks
Megatrax
Extreme
EMI
APM
BMG
5 Alarm
Thanks for the response. Upfront is wonderful, but I'm happy as long as they pay period. This is an industry filled with dreams, and people who create content for free. Its ripe for exploitation and one way I can see how to cut through the BS quickly is to make sure the money only flows in one direction despite any promises.
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Head
Surely those sort of companies and deals are things you have to work your way up to, no?
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlefactory View Post
Surely those sort of companies and deals are things you have to work your way up to, no?
Not if you have great music already. You only work your way up if you're developing musically.
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Head
Didn't the op say he was a "newbie"...?
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Addict

DesireInspires has posted a pretty extensive list of music libraries somehwere in this subforum. You have to plough through it yourself though to sort exclusive from nonexclusive etc.

From my personal, limited experience you don't have to work your way up through the libraries. As SunsetAnR writes you have to work your way up there musically. If the tracks you pitch are interesting for a library they'll work with you even if you don't have a lot of experience with other libraries. And conversely, if your music or production isn't up to scratch they won't work with you no matter what's in your cv.
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Maniac

yeah but i'd imagine some of those top PMA libraries are literally swamped with submissions on a daily basis, so much that they cant possibly listen to everything that is sent their way. which is why i feel a lot of these tend to be invite as in a composer who writes for them introduces you but maybe i'm wrong.
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Guru

Is signing away your master rights and copyrights, and receiving a small upfront payment in hopes of backend payments something anyone really wants to do anymore?

Streaming is looming, and the old paradigm is in a very perilous situation as far as I can tell. Not sure what the "new" paradigm will be, but the old one doesn't seem too appealing anymore. Too much work for too little pay. When it all settles out, it ain't gonna look like it did in 2010.
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlefactory View Post
Didn't the op say he was a "newbie"...?
Newbie in production music. Look at his account, which was made in 2012.........
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Is signing away your master rights and copyrights, and receiving a small upfront payment in hopes of backend payments something anyone really wants to do anymore?

Streaming is looming, and the old paradigm is in a very perilous situation as far as I can tell. Not sure what the "new" paradigm will be, but the old one doesn't seem too appealing anymore. Too much work for too little pay. When it all settles out, it ain't gonna look like it did in 2010.
Stop causing people to worry, Billy boy.
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Stop causing people to worry, Billy boy.
Did that make you worry? So sorry Mr. AnR. I'm not worried at all. Nor should anyone with a brain and willingness to work hard. There are many opportunities out there. When you hit a wall, you find a way around it.
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Did that make you worry? So sorry Mr. AnR. I'm not worried at all. Nor should anyone with a brain and willingness to work hard. There are many opportunities out there. When you hit a wall, you find a way around it.
Thank you, Billy Bojangles!
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Newbie in production music. Look at his account, which was made in 2012.........
Newbie as in Newbie to Music Publishing. I'm an old fart in most regards..
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Addict
I can find just about any "How to" video on youtube. From making my compost pile decompose faster, to programming an arduino, to making beats in FL Studio.

What I am noticing is when I look for recent posts for "Music Publishing" or "Music Libraries". I get the "Old Prospectors" Trying to sell me a secret treasure map to the lost Dutchman gold mine.

I have always been suspicious of any "seminars" of how to quit your day job and make $$$ following "my" simple method of X...

My main question is if its so lucrative, why are you wasting time training me and why aren't you spending your time making money doing X. I believe in most cases I know the answer. Its more lucrative to sell me the "Treasure map".

that being said, I would rather get 10% of something than 100% of nothing. But again, I won't be forking money up front, which should weed out most of the problems I would think.

PS, thanks for the responses.
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Guru

There is no "how to" in this gig. No simple "10 easy steps to making money in music" seminar or book. The people selling those things are the same guys whose great grandfathers were selling shovels and pickaxes to prospectors in the mid 1800's.

The gig is changing faster than someone who's "in the know" can keep up with. No plan will stay constant. It's almost a full time gig just to gather information and inform yourself. My personal goals, direction, money streams, and resources are changing constantly these days, and take up valuable time where I would prefer to be "making music".

I can tell you how to do it 15 years ago. That won't help you today, and in reality - it may not have helped you then. The one CONSTANT I find in successful people making money in music is that they are all very, very hard workers, they are compulsively driven, have a way to sustain themselves while they spend countless hours and a decade or two "making it", they are guys will not take "no" for an answer, who understand that talent is not a door opener, and ultimately who find their own pathways - which are surprising unique and freakishly different. OR - they have a father, brother, uncle or best buddy who is already connected who brought them in. I took the former path - although I grew up in LA, I knew not a single soul in the music biz - but I knew how to work my butt off.

You're going to ave to figure out your own path. There are still a few money streams out there, but they are not (generally speaking) in the obvious old school traditions - and almost all are "in recession" and not ramping up. Many are untested, and they require hard work - and a very long range plan. Short of that, it's really simple.

In you want to make money - medical / recreational marijuana is the way to go in 2017. That industry is ramping up big time. Many millionaires will be made there.
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_S View Post
Hi there forum.

I wonder how many music library companies there are out there? Does anyone have an idea? I would imagine there must be thousands!
Who cares?
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
There is no "how to" in this gig. No simple "10 easy steps to making money in music" seminar or book. The people selling those things are the same guys whose great grandfathers were selling shovels and pickaxes to prospectors in the mid 1800's.

The gig is changing faster than someone who's "in the know" can keep up with. No plan will stay constant. It's almost a full time gig just to gather information and inform yourself. My personal goals, direction, money streams, and resources are changing constantly these days, and take up valuable time where I would prefer to be "making music".

I can tell you how to do it 15 years ago. That won't help you today, and in reality - it may not have helped you then. The one CONSTANT I find in successful people making money in music is that they are all very, very hard workers, they are compulsively driven, have a way to sustain themselves while they spend countless hours and a decade or two "making it", they are guys will not take "no" for an answer, who understand that talent is not a door opener, and ultimately who find their own pathways - which are surprising unique and freakishly different. OR - they have a father, brother, uncle or best buddy who is already connected who brought them in. I took the former path - although I grew up in LA, I knew not a single soul in the music biz - but I knew how to work my butt off.

You're going to ave to figure out your own path. There are still a few money streams out there, but they are not (generally speaking) in the obvious old school traditions - and almost all are "in recession" and not ramping up. Many are untested, and they require hard work - and a very long range plan. Short of that, it's really simple.

In you want to make money - medical / recreational marijuana is the way to go in 2017. That industry is ramping up big time. Many millionaires will be made there.
Thanks for the response. If I remember correctly the richest guy in the 1850s in California was the one who bought up all the shovels, pans, and axes in California then ran up in down the streets of San Francisco yelling "GOLD STRIKE ON THE AMERICAN RIVER!". I can't blame anybody for wanting to be that guy...

I'm not really looking for a "How to". More of a "Here is a very short list, Start here with these guys." Again, No upfront money on my part, the company has to have current success in sales, and no exclusivity.

If my stuff is mediocre then it won't sell no matter how much money I spend up front.

thanks!
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerone View Post
More of a "Here is a very short list, Start here with these guys."
IMO, that list does not exist. At least not in my world....

There's lists galore here and on MLR. You even got one earlier from sunset sammie. Give one of em a go and see what works. Or doesn't. Of course, it takes about 3-5 years to figure out what actually works for real. At least it does if "success" is getting placements and back end royalties. If "success" is getting your music placed into a library, you should be able to find that out pretty quickly. Beyond that, it's all speculative.....
Old 7th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkeys View Post
DesireInspires has posted a pretty extensive list of music libraries somehwere in this subforum. You have to plough through it yourself though to sort exclusive from nonexclusive etc.
List link: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...rary-list.html
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
IMO, that list does not exist. At least not in my world....

There's lists galore here and on MLR. You even got one earlier from sunset sammie. Give one of em a go and see what works. Or doesn't. Of course, it takes about 3-5 years to figure out what actually works for real. At least it does if "success" is getting placements and back end royalties. If "success" is getting your music placed into a library, you should be able to find that out pretty quickly. Beyond that, it's all speculative.....
Fair enough, Honesty is all I'm after at this point.

I haven't researched the list he gave me but i will for sure. I really appreciate him giving it to me also.

I'm trying to avoid those companies that are just trying to build a library so they can sell out to a larger firm at some point.

I'm also trying to avoid the "Groucho Marx" company.

"I sent the club a wire stating, PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER."

an XYZ company that is too good to do business with a newbie, but will show me "a little leg" or "throw me a bone". Will do nicely at this stage of my Music Business journey..
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post

thanks!
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
In that case, I'm going to do a production music album featuring songs that have loads of weed references.
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAM View Post
In that case, I'm going to do a production music album featuring songs that have loads of weed references.
A few years ago it was ethanol.. Now its weed.
Old 7th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
an XYZ company that is too good to do business with a newbie, but will show me "a little leg" or "throw me a bone". Will do nicely at this stage of my Music Business journey..
You seem like a confident fellow. Care to post a link to some soundcloud tunes? Plenty of people floating around on this forum that work for the exact type of companies you're trying to court.
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post
You seem like a confident fellow. Care to post a link to some soundcloud tunes? Plenty of people floating around on this forum that work for the exact type of companies you're trying to court.
Not ready to yet. I need to get my $#!+ together.
I want to put together about 50 "songs" on soundcloud and have them presentable first. I just started to organize things and "think" in terms of Music libraries this past weekend. I was working on an album. For every song I sort of liked, 30 went in the dumpster because they weren't the right genre, or mostly because they just plain sucked..

So, I've been hunting in the bin trying to see if anything of those are salvageable because of a genre issue, or do they just plain suck and leave them be.
Old 8th March 2017
Gear Addict
I would like to thank everyone who posted on this threat. It was very helpful and gave me plenty to research and ponder.
Old 8th March 2017
Quote:
...and no exclusivity.
Why don't you want to do a deal with a catalog that requires exclusivity?
Old 8th March 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
I want to dump my seed into every nook & cranny imaginable. I'm the Genghis Khan of production music.
Old 8th March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
Derek - I know you didn't direct this at me, but I'd love to get your take on this. For me, an exclusive contract that locks me in to not sharing in standard one-off sync fees, blankets and direct license deals (that would be 99% of all contracts I've ever signed) leaves me depending on :

1 - an ever shrinking front end payment by exclusive libraries. They ARE getting smaller. Right down to NO up front payment; and....

2. - the hope that back end PRO royalties "stay the same" or get better to make up for smaller up fronts - as we're facing an onslaught of streaming, which pays pennies on the dollar compared to Network. (According to an exhaustive study of multiple publishers that I know with multiple co-writer teams spread across said publishers -- they have come to the conclusion that streaming pays approximately $0.04-0.05 with viewership, time of play, etc. being taken into account compared to a dollar for network.) Now...I can't personally vouch for those numbers, and in reality it's impossible to extrapolate perfect numbers, but from my experience, they seem to be pointing in the right direction. If things accelerate in the streaming world leaving traditional TV in the dust (which is where things seem to be pointing) - then the financial outlook for composers signing traditional exclusive contracts is dim unless the PRO's and Gov't step up and get things straightened out. (And that too is not looking good judging from the last 5 years of trying.)

So...........that said............

How do you suspect exclusive libraries will compensate composers in the future? Bigger up fronts? Cutting composers in on the sync fee's, etc.?

Because for the exclusivity of my music, I need more than $300-1000 along with a hope and a dream that my BMI statement for streaming will pay any more than a nice dinner - as opposed to a full quarter of living expenses.....

IMO, times are changing, and contracts must stay current with industry changes and technology. If they don't, expect more composers to look elsewhere....

Long term? Things will probably shake out in 20 years or so. Short term - momma wants new shoes and a car.....

Thanks for your thoughts!!

bp

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search