The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Top Music Library/Publishing companies for 2017?
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
Are you willing to share these libraries that do well in royalties? If not, it's kinda just trial and error to find out with new chancers popping up every week. Most which will get sold to majors anyway, competing with the high quality tracks that were done by composers with some incentive to give their best, and pushed by a library that wants a return on their investment.

Whereas, someone can say right here which libraries pay up front and do well on the back end as well.

Exceptions to the rule as always.
That’s the rub, isn’t it! Nobody wants to give that little bit of intel up...
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

My personal opinion is that the best library is not the one that offers the biggest upfront payment, or has the sexiest client list, or has the largest or smallest catalog.

The best library is the one with which you have a solid relationship, a personal contact (or three), and whose clients want and need your music.

My approach has been to find a combination of companies who say these things:

'Our clients are begging for more material like this.'

'I like what you do and I'm happy to pay you well upfront...lemme know when you want to write and I'll find a project for you.'

'I'd love to try some new stuff. If you have a creative idea, I'm game.'

'Want to write custom cues for x show?'

'I'm an industry vet with a solid track record and I'm working on a new venture.'

No single company is going to say these things to everyone, so "which is the best library?" is tough to answer. The challenge is to find people out there who believe in what you do and have the juice to make it go, whether it's One Man Music or Massive Music Exchange, Inc.

I try to find the best deals I can, but my experience has led me to value these factors more than any particular deal terms.
Old 9th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrenebbage View Post
My personal opinion is that the best library is not the one that offers the biggest upfront payment, or has the sexiest client list, or has the largest or smallest catalog.

The best library is the one with which you have a solid relationship, a personal contact (or three), and whose clients want and need your music.

'I like what you do and I'm happy to pay you well upfront...lemme know when you want to write and I'll find a project for you.'

'I'm an industry vet with a solid track record and I'm working on a new venture.'

No single company is going to say these things to everyone, so "which is the best library?" is tough to answer. The challenge is to find people out there who believe in what you do and have the juice to make it go, whether it's One Man Music or Massive Music Exchange, Inc.

I try to find the best deals I can, but my experience has led me to value these factors more than any particular deal terms.
100%!
Old 9th August 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:

^^^^^^ Truth!
Old 9th August 2019
Quote:

All that sounds great. But it hasn’t happened to me yet.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:

Exactly. We seem wired to look for the “next” great library to work with. “ if only I could write for Library X I’d have it made...” much better in my experience to find people you enjoy working with and can build long term relationships with.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

anyone on this board own or run a music library company?
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by telecode View Post
anyone on this board own or run a music library company?
there are quite a few on here but I doubt they will come right out and say it as they do not want to be flooded with emails and messages saying "hey, hook me up and give me a bunch of albums in your library".

After I started to become more active and vocal in the music library community I was surprised to find a lot of library owners knew who I was from my posts here on this forum... so you never know who's reading even if they aren't posting.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
there are quite a few on here but I doubt they will come right out and say it as they do not want to be flooded with emails and messages saying "hey, hook me up and give me a bunch of albums in your library".

After I started to become more active and vocal in the music library community I was surprised to find a lot of library owners knew who I was from my posts here on this forum... so you never know who's reading even if they aren't posting.
Good reminder to not act like a complete and utter poop slip bucket of a human lol
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Very true.

The question I was going to ask is, what is the technical infrastructure requirements and over head for those who started a music library? Is it all custom coding web based applications or are people just using CMS and customizing them?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Very true.

The question I was going to ask is, what is the technical infrastructure requirements and over head for those who started a music library? Is it all custom coding web based applications or are people just using CMS and customizing them?
Nah you can get a "turn key" library site from Source Audio or Harvest Media for a very very reasonable price.

Getting the deals is the hard part.
Old 2 weeks ago
For anyone who runs a music library: hey, hook me up and give me a bunch of albums in your library!

Thanks for the idea @ Etch-A-Sketch

Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
For anyone who runs a music library: hey, hook me up and give me a bunch of albums in your library!

Thanks for the idea @ Etch-A-Sketch

I don't mind the inquiries though... but when I've talked to some of the people who knew me from GS about why they don't post a lot or divulge who they are... that was one of the reasons why... the other was they didn't want to have to get into pissing matches with armchair quarterbacks who have only gotten a few licenses though an RF library and now think they are an authority on the music licensing/library industry. Which I can understand. I've been guilty of getting into quite a few of those pissing matches here in this forum myself! LOL
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:

I don't mind the inquiries though... but when I've talked to some of the people who knew me from GS about why they don't post a lot or divulge who they are... that was one of the reasons why... the other was they didn't want to have to get into pissing matches with armchair quarterbacks who have only gotten a few licenses though an RF library and now think they are an authority on the music licensing/library industry. Which I can understand. I've been guilty of getting into quite a few of those pissing matches here in this forum myself! LOL
Oh I definitely understand.

If I were running a music library, I would not accept unsolicited submissions. I would either recruit composers myself or accept referrals from people that I have vetted.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Pretty sure there used to be an emoji for that. Can't find it now...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Here's what I've found for launching your own music library.

License Quote - www.licensequote.com/
Tune Bud - www.tunebud.com
SoundGizmo - www.soundgizmo.com
Synchtank - https://www.synchtank.com
Soundminer - https://store.soundminer.com/pages/product-tour
Magnetracks - http://www.magnetracks.com/
Harvest Media - https://www.harvestmedia.net
SourceAudio - https://www.sourceaudio.com

The first two, maybe three, seem aimed more at independent composers, or small businesses.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMusic View Post
Here's what I've found for launching your own music library.

License Quote - www.licensequote.com/
Tune Bud - www.tunebud.com
SoundGizmo - www.soundgizmo.com
Synchtank - https://www.synchtank.com
Soundminer - https://store.soundminer.com/pages/product-tour
Magnetracks - http://www.magnetracks.com/
Harvest Media - https://www.harvestmedia.net
SourceAudio - https://www.sourceaudio.com

The first two, maybe three, seem aimed more at independent composers, or small businesses.
you missed cadenzabox...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

What I dont get is cant you do this sort of solution with open source web based CMS applications? I mean this is basically a digital repository of audio files with metadata.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
What I dont get is cant you do this sort of solution with open source web based CMS applications? I mean this is basically a digital repository of audio files with metadata.
It's certainly technically possible, and I found this somewhat old home-brew solution:

http://www.musiclicensingsoftware.com

The question is whether it's the most effective way to do it. A music library hosting service presumably makes it easier and more reliable than doing it on your own.

None of the hosting services really solve the problem of promotion though. Some have portals to all the libraries they host. I don't know if that's enough to start building a client base. It'll take marketing, and if you're a very small library, I'm not sure Google or FB ads are the answer.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMusic View Post
It's certainly technically possible, and I found this somewhat old home-brew solution:

http://www.musiclicensingsoftware.com

The question is whether it's the most effective way to do it. A music library hosting service presumably makes it easier and more reliable than doing it on your own.

None of the hosting services really solve the problem of promotion though. Some have portals to all the libraries they host. I don't know if that's enough to start building a client base. It'll take marketing, and if you're a very small library, I'm not sure Google or FB ads are the answer.
yeah. the promotion functionality is a separate issue. if those cloud vendors also included some sort of automated social media apis and tied them onto online platforms to promote the content for the client -- then I can see value in it. but to just host media (just audio files in this case) with searchable metadata, there are gazillions options. you can just pay amazon aws for the traffic that the application consumes on their networks systems. an unknown composer is probably not going to generate a lot of web traffic so the cost would be in the cents to a $1 per month. (I may be wrong).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah. the promotion functionality is a separate issue. if those cloud vendors also included some sort of automated social media apis and tied them onto online platforms to promote the content for the client -- then I can see value in it. but to just host media (just audio files in this case) with searchable metadata, there are gazillions options. you can just pay amazon aws for the traffic that the application consumes on their networks systems. an unknown composer is probably not going to generate a lot of web traffic so the cost would be in the cents to a $1 per month. (I may be wrong).
You're definitely oversimplifying what services like SourceAudio or Synctank are doing... to the extreme. You're making it sound as if what they do is akin to hosting some files on dropbox or something. No composer has the resources to put together anything in the universe of what these guys are doing as far as powerful search engines, API's, and more than anything the actual UI/UX. Add robust shopping modules, file and license delivery, watermarking, etc, etc, etc. I think companies like Premiumbeat built from the ground up, but it was pretty ugly for a long, long time. And things are different now than when they started. What you get for the price at a company like SourceAudio is pretty crazy. And all of these bigger search/distribution/commerce companies offer some sort of "opportunities" for your music to be heard by customers at large if wanted. SourceAudio, for instance, has deals in place with ClearChannel and YouTube.

If it seems like I like SourceAudio... it's because I do!
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post
You're definitely oversimplifying what services like SourceAudio or Synctank are doing... to the extreme. You're making it sound as if what they do is akin to hosting some files on dropbox or something. No composer has the resources to put together anything in the universe of what these guys are doing as far as powerful search engines, API's, and more than anything the actual UI/UX. Add robust shopping modules, file and license delivery, watermarking, etc, etc, etc. I think companies like Premiumbeat built from the ground up, but it was pretty ugly for a long, long time. And things are different now than when they started. What you get for the price at a company like SourceAudio is pretty crazy. And all of these bigger search/distribution/commerce companies offer some sort of "opportunities" for your music to be heard by customers at large if wanted. SourceAudio, for instance, has deals in place with ClearChannel and YouTube.

If it seems like I like SourceAudio... it's because I do!
Agreed... SourceAudio has a really smart business model. they not only wanted to make something for music libraries, they ultimately wanted to make something for content producers that need music.

So they have a platform/product offering for music catalogs, so you pay to host your music on Source Audio... but then they also offer a platform/product to media creators (NBC, Turner, Starz, all exclusively use SourceAudio for music) so the media creators pay to have their own "portal" on SourceAudio. Any catalog they have a deal in place with (whether its an annual blanket or a needle drop agreement), shows up in their portal and is searchable in the search bar. It's a great "ecosystem" for music licensing because they are providing a service for both sides of the transaction and coming up with ways to make it easier for both sides to facilitate the transactions. I say to people all the time that SourceAudio is kind of like the Amazon of music licensing for film/TV.

They are great, I really like SourceAudio as well!
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
well... if you are in the business of starting your own music library... are you going to spend your time and startup capital making and licensing music, or are you going to spend your time making a website, a search engine and a digital warehouse for your assets?

At that point aren't you really a web developer and not really a music company? Even if you know HOW to create your own custom music platform, is that really the best use of your time when starting a music company?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Agreed... SourceAudio has a really smart business model. they not only wanted to make something for music libraries, they ultimately wanted to make something for content producers that need music.

So they have a platform/product offering for music catalogs, so you pay to host your music on Source Audio... but then they also offer a platform/product to media creators (NBC, Turner, Starz, all exclusively use SourceAudio for music) so the media creators pay to have their own "portal" on SourceAudio. Any catalog they have a deal in place with (whether its an annual blanket or a needle drop agreement), shows up in their portal and is searchable in the search bar. It's a great "ecosystem" for music licensing because they are providing a service for both sides of the transaction and coming up with ways to make it easier for both sides to facilitate the transactions. I say to people all the time that SourceAudio is kind of like the Amazon of music licensing for film/TV.

They are great, I really like SourceAudio as well!
Anyone who worked in a local TV or radio station up until the early 00’s certainly remember the huge libraries of CDs full of music beds and sound fx... if you worked at an old heritage station you’d find the same sort of stuff on records, reel tape, etc... these libraries tended to represent the exact time period in which they were produced... this was a subscription based service that would send the subscriber station new libraries every year or a new CD every month or so. If you worked for a cheapskate owner you might only find some dusty a$$ library from 1982 where every track sounded like a promo for AirWolf or Magnum PI...

I mention it only to say that there’s almost always an old school analog version of the latest new high tech idea... the younger the client, the more amazing the idea seems as they’ve not experienced and/or simply unaware of how it was done in the olden times.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
well... if you are in the business of starting your own music library... are you going to spend your time and startup capital making and licensing music, or are you going to spend your time making a website, a search engine and a digital warehouse for your assets?

At that point aren't you really a web developer and not really a music company? Even if you know HOW to create your own custom music platform, is that really the best use of your time when starting a music company?
I’m with you...

Maybe a personal website makes sense after you’ve already “made it” like Dave Vanacore... https://www.vanacoremusiclibraries.com/#!home

Otherwise, it seems utterly pointless other than to create a whole new avenue for you to experience disappointment... except this one actually costs you money and time to setup and maintain lol
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Anyone who worked in a local TV or radio station up until the early 00’s certainly remember the huge libraries of CDs full of music beds and sound fx... if you worked at an old heritage station you’d find the same sort of stuff on records, reel tape, etc... these libraries tended to represent the exact time period in which they were produced... this was a subscription based service that would send the subscriber station new libraries every year or a new CD every month or so. If you worked for a cheapskate owner you might only find some dusty a$$ library from 1982 where every track sounded like a promo for AirWolf or Magnum PI...

I mention it only to say that there’s almost always an old school analog version of the latest new high tech idea... the younger the client, the more amazing the idea seems as they’ve not experienced and/or simply unaware of how it was done in the olden times.
Yup... we used to call them "PCAT". It was basically a suitcase with wheels and a pull out handle that had the CD organizer pages in them. those things weighed 30 or 40 lbs with all the CDs and booklets in there! HAHAHA I think we still have a few of them laying around just as a keepsake. Good times...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yup... we used to call them "PCAT". It was basically a suitcase with wheels and a pull out handle that had the CD organizer pages in them. those things weighed 30 or 40 lbs with all the CDs and booklets in there! HAHAHA I think we still have a few of them laying around just as a keepsake. Good times...
Yup...

Never before has so much bland midi music and over-processed gtr ever been committed to tape and/or adat
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
I’m with you...

Maybe a personal website makes sense after you’ve already “made it” like Dave Vanacore... https://www.vanacoremusiclibraries.com/#!home

Otherwise, it seems utterly pointless other than to create a whole new avenue for you to experience disappointment... except this one actually costs you money and time to setup and maintain lol
Uh... you do realize Vanacore uses SourceAudio right? That link you posted IS source audio. For an extra fee, you can pay source audio to host your URL instead of using a source audio URL...

For example...

go to

https://www.alistmusic.com/#!home

Then go to...

https://alistmusic.sourceaudio.com

Notice anything?

Also... try going to

https://www.qfactorymusic.com/#!home

https://audio.alibimusiclibrary.com/#!featured

https://411musicgroup.sourceaudio.com/#!home

https://spmmusicgroup.sourceaudio.com/

Noticing a common layout and design? It's because they are all source audio sites.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Yup...

Never before has so much bland midi music and over-processed gtr ever been committed to tape and/or adat
ain't that the truth!!! I had to transfer a bunch of the 1/4" 4-tracks and 8-track, 2" 24-track, and ADAT multi-tracks to protools for archiving purposes a few years ago. And some of that was painful to listen to. HAHAHA They also used RADAR for a while... at least that process was easier to transfer because I didn't have to listen to all that midi sax in realtime!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Uh... you do realize Vanacore uses SourceAudio right? That link you posted IS source audio. For an extra fee, you can pay source audio to host your URL instead of using a source audio URL...

For example...

go to

https://www.alistmusic.com/#!home

Then go to...

https://alistmusic.sourceaudio.com

Notice anything?

Also... try going to

https://www.qfactorymusic.com/#!home

https://audio.alibimusiclibrary.com/#!featured

https://411musicgroup.sourceaudio.com/#!home

https://spmmusicgroup.sourceaudio.com/

Noticing a common layout and design? It's because they are all source audio sites.
Hilarious... no I didn’t notice! Honestly the idea of putting my library online under my own website isn’t anything I’d ever considered or even thought of until reading this thread!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search