The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ways to find inspiration to make music?
Old 7th February 2017
Here for the gear

Ways to find inspiration to make music?

What are some of the things you do to find inspiration when you want to work on new music?
Old 7th February 2017
Gear Nut

Hi,

start composing from a different aspect ... i.e. if always using piano, switch to guitar, bass, percussion or strings. And, for me, if still nothing, I take a break from it. Obviously those making a living at it can't really take a break for an extended time period. And, sometimes, buying a new instrument helps too!

Cheers,

Steve
Old 7th February 2017
Mrx
Gear Maniac

1) Create a deadline

2) Listening to lots of different types of music

3) Go for a walk
Old 7th February 2017
Gear Guru

"Looking for inspiration" is your problem. It's a job. Just get up and do it. The inspiration comes AFTER you start working.
Old 23rd February 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
"Looking for inspiration" is your problem. It's a job. Just get up and do it. The inspiration comes AFTER you start working.
Coming in a bit late to this, but I couldn't agree with this more.

I see it as two phases. One phase is actually getting something out into the world, either on paper or in your DAW (Making that thing good is the hard part)
The second part is the inspiration.

You may use the stuff you wrote before or you may completely abandon it, but you should always write something regardless if you are feeling inspired or not.
Old 24th February 2017
Live life. Fall in love; break up; have a child; lose a parent; take a dump; smoke a bowl.
Old 24th February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsaudio View Post
Live life. Fall in love; break up; have a child; lose a parent; take a dump; smoke a bowl.
I'm sure they all work great, but if I had to do all that to get "inspired", I'd never get any work done.
Old 24th February 2017
Gear Nut

Turn on some tunes in another room and close the door to that room. You'd be surprised how notes and rhythms sound totally different from behind a hard barrier. I noticed this can give birth to inspiration that sounds nothing like the actual song that is playing.
Old 24th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsaudio View Post
Turn those words into metadata and there goes the inspiration for tons of cues!
Old 25th February 2017
Gear Addict

Ehhhh... this is the Music for Picture, forum, right? So.... Where does a film composer's inspiration come from? Right... THE FILM!
You read the script, see some footage, talk to the director about the emotions in his film. THAT's where the inspiration comes from.
Old 25th February 2017
Gear Addict

It's true..if you have a picture to bounce off..inspiration should not be a problem. The problem should be trying to whittle down the ideas to send the director.
Old 26th February 2017
Gear Maniac

LSD will work wonders.
Old 15th May 2018
Here for the gear
I recently finished a blog post on how to get inspired and stay inspired, there are some useful practices there https://www.idanaltman.com/single-po...-stay-inspired
Old 15th May 2018
Lives for gear

In my case: Being still does open the rooms. I just sit there and do nothing. Breathing...
And deciding to get an intuitive idea does work to. Decide it. And then wait and do nothing.
Old 16th May 2018
Lives for gear

Wake up every morning
Old 16th May 2018
Gear Nut

Rex2 files
Old 16th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Sleep deprivation.
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Hahaha! Some great answers in here. True, there is no waiting on your muse in this biz (mine abandoned me years ago after continuously being beaten and taken for granted).

For me the best way to stay motivated and fresh (inspired?) is to focus on balance. I try to give a good amount of my time to family, friends, fun and service. Setting boundaries can be a very good thing when it comes to music and work. When I leave the studio, I do my best to be done with work... doesn't always happen, but I try.

Here's some other things I like to do:

I hike with friends, which I think takes care of a lot of my needs- exercise, social interaction, being inspired by nature, and increased mental sharpness.

I am taking cello lessons- it's a new instrument to me. I don't allow my learning or playing the cello to be a part of work in any way. Why? Because I've found learning a new instrument has reignited the love, passion, and wonder of music in my life that I lost long ago. I wholly blame making music the thing my family depends on for bread for that loss of love. My cello makes me feel like I'm having a love affair with music all over again. Not gonna taint it.

One of the most inspiring things for me as far as getting stoked out of my mind to get in the studio and start creating is watching other art forms- especially dance paired with music. Watching the way music inspired others to create amazing choreography or be artistic and expressive makes me want to write great music. I suppose great film, photography, even an awesome commercial has a similar effect on me. There's something about being inspired by art other than music. Watching or listening to music doesn't get me there unless it's something like a Yo-Yo Ma concert. I'm just too much of a critic.
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear

The music has to get done whether I feel inspired or not so it's more about trying to make sure the work I'm doing is work that inspires me and I'm passionate about.

Here, it's a case of pitching albums I am really into, have done a lot of research on. If not, the libraries I work with know what I do well so will ask me to jump on briefs if it's a multi writer album.

If I'm not massively passionate about it, there's something I usually become absorbed in - production techniques, research etc.

Outside of that, it's a mix of limiting time to make music so that it's more focused. But sometimes I find I need to steamroll right through it and go with it if I'm in a certain frame of mind as I know it might not come back the next day. Often working in bursts, 4 days full on, 2 doing SFA. Even then, that doesn't always work, so it's about paying attention and remaining objective about whether something is working or not and whether to adapt.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search