The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's your typical output per day? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

I've always noticed how some orchetsration/arranging is unique to certain composers, but if they always have an orchestrator handling that side of things, maybe it's the orchestrator who has his/her own unique sound. Someone like Thomas Newman clearly arranges his own stuff because each score seems to have a stylistic through-line. He's always using certain ethnic string instruments. John Williams' horn arrangements must be his own since they all have the same vibe.

Although I like his stuff, I can't really pick a Giaccino score out by ear. I wonder if your musical voice gets kinda lost when a team of other people are handling arrangement, orchestration and even writing.
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4 View Post
I've always noticed how some orchetsration/arranging is unique to certain composers, but if they always have an orchestrator handling that side of things, maybe it's the orchestrator who has his/her own unique sound. Someone like Thomas Newman clearly arranges his own stuff because each score seems to have a stylistic through-line. He's always using certain ethnic string instruments. John Williams' horn arrangements must be his own since they all have the same vibe.

Although I like his stuff, I can't really pick a Giaccino score out by ear. I wonder if your musical voice gets kinda lost when a team of other people are handling arrangement, orchestration and even writing.
Good orchestrators can (and do) catch the vibe of a composer and regurgitate it back on command for any type of cue. Conversely, a good orchestrator can also "become" the sound of the composer. It's not hard to do if you know your craft.

That's what ghost writing and ghost orchestrating is all about.
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4 View Post

John Williams has a special relationship with horns - I think he once said in an interview something to the effect that the instrument harks back to ancient times, unleashing a subconscious feeling that deeply resonates with the human spirit. I'm probably embellishing it, something along those lines.

But his writing and arrangements for horns are very distinct and well crafted - an in many of his most notable scores (Superman, Star Wars) horns and trumpets have a very prominent position. Just look at his Hal Leonard signature editions, everything is very well thought out (in fact, everything is great - warmly recommended, and they are beautifully engraved and printed as well).

About Michael Giacchino, there's at least one score which is extremely memorable - Up! One of my favorite movies, one of those moments when everything just clicks - beautiful story (heartbreaking at times, especially the scene early on with the photo album always tears me up), lovely characters, and this super memorable main. You can wake me up in the middle of the night and I'd be able to whistle or hum it to you.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search