The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
To Taxi or not to taxi
Old 6th December 2016
Gear Addict

To Taxi or not to taxi

Hi Guys! With so many free libraries like audio sparx, songtradr, audio jungle, pond5 ect it seems silly to pay $300 to sign up with taxi and then another $5 for each submission. I cant imagine that with so many subscribers they really push your music but I know some people do really well on there. One solid placement could easily pay for the subscription fee bit is it worth the money? I would love to hear your experience! Thanks in advance!
Old 6th December 2016
Gear Addict

Without having any experience with Taxi I find the pay to submit model unfair. If your music is good publishers should be interested in getting it into their catalogue without the composer having to pay for it. Because both the publisher and the composer make money when the music gets placed. If your music isn't very good, paying to get into a catalog doesn't help the composer because it won't get placed, no matter how much he pays to the publisher.
So, either the publisher is interested in working with you because he thinks that he can sell your music. Or he isn't, in which case you probably shouldn't give him your money on top of your music. Maybe the Taxi model is different, but generally I am not a fan of pay to submit.
Old 7th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggingForRoots View Post
Hi Guys! With so many free libraries like audio sparx, songtradr, audio jungle, pond5 ect it seems silly to pay $300 to sign up with taxi and then another $5 for each submission. I cant imagine that with so many subscribers they really push your music but I know some people do really well on there. One solid placement could easily pay for the subscription fee bit is it worth the money? I would love to hear your experience! Thanks in advance!
I tried TAXI (along with other stuff) back in 2010-12. After the 1st year, the membership price dropped, as a "teaser," so I re-enlisted. I totally understood/understand the $5 per song thing, because (without that small fee) people would throw every track they have at a listing, hoping something lands, putting TAXI screeners through hell. They are only a screening service; if your track gets past them, it's "forwarded" to the actual supervisor or production company or label.

I *only* was using it as an extra resource, to try to license some songs. Out of MANY I submitted, only three were "forwarded." None got selected for use. Not a big thing... my stuff's not really "commercial"-ish anyways, and I didn't have huge "windfall" expectations, through this particular avenue. But yeah, you never know...

They do offer "critiques" of most things you submit, which, I guess, some people use to "shape" their songs and improve. BUT, I still recall one goofball critique I got that had the American Idol audition comment crap of "watch your pitch," which was kind of a joke, because I'm not an "out of tune" singer. What I seriously think happened: My chords are NOT common in some of my songs... I think they listened on a laptop or inferior monitoring source and couldn't' hear the low-end/root movement, and only heard weird melody notes in the vox (essentially hearing from the "top down")... and thought I was an out-of-tune clown.

What REALLY bugged me... They started an "extra" service, which cost more, which was supposedly only giving you access to film-oriented listings NOT included in the regular listings. I did that, and almost EVERY time, the same "exclusive" listing ended up in the "regular listing" a bit later. Or there'd be almost ZERO "exclusive" listings for that month (I sort of forget the details). But I thought that part was lame as hell.

In the end, the ONLY thing I really liked about it was the ROAD RALLY they have each year (usually November), which is an included part of the membership. Super cool panelists and networking opportunity. That actually made it worth it, to me. HOWEVER, this past year they offered many ROAD RALLY passes for free, through some places. So.... Why bother?
Old 7th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I cant imagine that with so many subscribers they really push your music but I know some people do really well on there.
If you're confident in your music getting placed, then by all means, join.
Perhaps you can also be part of the "some" who do really well on there.

Quote:
One solid placement could easily pay for the subscription fee bit is it worth the money?
How about trying to land a placement through one of the many 'no-fee' licensing sites and see how well that does?
There's plenty of discussion about which ones they are, just have a look through the first couple of pages on this MFP sub-forum.
Old 7th December 2016
Lives for gear

All those online submission BS places are there to rip you off. I have never seen anyone make it using them. All the people that are nay sayers are either paid supporters or fake profiles made by these talent scammers.

waste of time and money.
Old 8th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkeys View Post
Without having any experience with Taxi I find the pay to submit model unfair. If your music is good publishers should be interested in getting it into their catalogue without the composer having to pay for it. Because both the publisher and the composer make money when the music gets placed. If your music isn't very good, paying to get into a catalog doesn't help the composer because it won't get placed, no matter how much he pays to the publisher.
So, either the publisher is interested in working with you because he thinks that he can sell your music. Or he isn't, in which case you probably shouldn't give him your money on top of your music. Maybe the Taxi model is different, but generally I am not a fan of pay to submit.
I've run listings with Taxi when I couldn't find the right people to work with for some projects. Through their service I was introduced to top notch talent that I continue to work with. It might not work for everybody on the submitting side but it's been very useful to me on the looking side.
Old 12th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I've run listings with Taxi when I couldn't find the right people to work with for some projects. Through their service I was introduced to top notch talent that I continue to work with. It might not work for everybody on the submitting side but it's been very useful to me on the looking side.
and on the looking side do you have to pay any fee?

pay to submit sites, i just couldn't do it. it just seems desperate that one would have to pay someone to forward your tracks. i think spending that money on becoming a better composer would make more sense in the long run imo.
Old 13th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymc View Post
and on the looking side do you have to pay any fee?

pay to submit sites, i just couldn't do it. it just seems desperate that one would have to pay someone to forward your tracks. i think spending that money on becoming a better composer would make more sense in the long run imo.
No cost to run listings but they do screen listing parties to make sure they're legit.

It doesn't bother me what people think of Taxi with respect to the submission side. I'm simply saying it's worked for me when I've had to look and couldn't find the people I wanted via other avenues.
Old 13th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
It doesn't bother me what people think of Taxi with respect to the submission side. I'm simply saying it's worked for me when I've had to look and couldn't find the people I wanted via other avenues.
so whats your take on these other members calling these other pay to submit type services scams? btw i don't agree with them i think thay might work great for some and for others be a complete waste of money.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...c-gateway.html
Old 16th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymc View Post
so whats your take on these other members calling these other pay to submit type services scams? btw i don't agree with them i think thay might work great for some and for others be a complete waste of money.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...c-gateway.html
People have their opinions. Some of these companies are legitimate, some are slot machines and some are scams. With respect to Taxi, it works for some and not for others. It didn't work for me on the member side. I found it particularly frustrating.

It has worked for me on the seeking side. The Taxi music community is actually a large, vibrant, constructive, helpful group. The majority of my co-writers and the majority of people I work with, I met within Taxi. Via the forum, friends of friends, etc. Personally, I find their forum to be one of the best on the net. There is a notable absence of ego and personality clash.

Taxi doesn't qualify as a scam. They provide the service that they say they do.

The submission fees cover two purposes. The first is to act as a deterrent so members aren't throwing any old thing at a listing. The second is to pay the wages of the people doing the screening. Is it perfect? No. But a lot of members find the feedback from submissions helpful and would openly state that they have improved their craft via the process. Personally, as a complete noob to the industry (when I first joined Taxi), I didn't find screener feedback to be useful. I gained more out of participating on the forum where constructive criticism could be garnered in a conversational way.

The membership fees go towards covering their annual conference called the Rally. I've never attended one but by all accounts it's an excellent event.

The owner, Micheal, is dedicated and genuinely cares about members. They do a weekly podcast kind of thing where he talks to special guests, often library owners, music supervisors, engineers, sometimes members, etc. Not 100% sure offhand but I think that stream is publicly available. Any fair minded person watching the show will quickly gain a sense of Michael's authenticity. Yes, it's a business and obviously he has to make a living from it. But his motivation is to genuinely help people succeed, not to rip them off.

I think Taxi does offer a useful service, particularly for those who have absolutely no idea about creating music for media and don't know where to start. For those who already have some contacts and some knowledge, I think they would find it less valuable.

For a person who is actively seeking to improve their craft by using forums like this one and VI-Control, I think a subscription to Music Library Report (at least for a while) and cultivating a relationship with a mentor would be a good road.
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear

I was a taxi member off and on for 3 years. Still get their emails. I wouldn't do it again. Caught a screener copying and pasting a critique from one song to another. If they did it to me, they were doing it to others. Attended a road rally where one of the screeners made the comment that he was a screener so he could get new ideas for his songs. That sounded kind of odd. There was a time when they were dropping some big names, insinuating they were looking for songs for those artists. That stopped very quickly, I assume due to a call from the artists lawyers. It hasn't happened since. And I can't recall one time when they included in their emails the name of a high charting song that was recorded due to a taxi connection. I would think they would be promoting something like that to the hilt. Finally at a songwriters meeting, with a high profile music attorney speaking... he was asked his opinion of taxi. The gist of his comment was that most large music companies would generally not want to write separate contracts to work with Taxi artists. It still might be useful to some. My experiences were a little iffy.
L.
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruciform View Post
People have their opinions. Some of these companies are legitimate, some are slot machines and some are scams. With respect to Taxi, it works for some and not for others. It didn't work for me on the member side. I found it particularly frustrating.

It has worked for me on the seeking side. The Taxi music community is actually a large, vibrant, constructive, helpful group. The majority of my co-writers and the majority of people I work with, I met within Taxi. Via the forum, friends of friends, etc. Personally, I find their forum to be one of the best on the net. There is a notable absence of ego and personality clash.

Taxi doesn't qualify as a scam. They provide the service that they say they do.

The submission fees cover two purposes. The first is to act as a deterrent so members aren't throwing any old thing at a listing. The second is to pay the wages of the people doing the screening. Is it perfect? No. But a lot of members find the feedback from submissions helpful and would openly state that they have improved their craft via the process. Personally, as a complete noob to the industry (when I first joined Taxi), I didn't find screener feedback to be useful. I gained more out of participating on the forum where constructive criticism could be garnered in a conversational way.

The membership fees go towards covering their annual conference called the Rally. I've never attended one but by all accounts it's an excellent event.

The owner, Micheal, is dedicated and genuinely cares about members. They do a weekly podcast kind of thing where he talks to special guests, often library owners, music supervisors, engineers, sometimes members, etc. Not 100% sure offhand but I think that stream is publicly available. Any fair minded person watching the show will quickly gain a sense of Michael's authenticity. Yes, it's a business and obviously he has to make a living from it. But his motivation is to genuinely help people succeed, not to rip them off.

I think Taxi does offer a useful service, particularly for those who have absolutely no idea about creating music for media and don't know where to start. For those who already have some contacts and some knowledge, I think they would find it less valuable.

For a person who is actively seeking to improve their craft by using forums like this one and VI-Control, I think a subscription to Music Library Report (at least for a while) and cultivating a relationship with a mentor would be a good road.
While I do hate most of these music licensing sites, I really enjoyed this reply.
I would still never join TAXI, but this was a rather good read, I can respect them a bit more now perhaps.
Old 16th December 2016
Gear Head
Thought I would have a look at pond5. Not sure i'm happy about sending a photo of my id to them...
Old 17th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thought I would have a look at pond5. Not sure i'm happy about sending a photo of my id to them...
i'm with Pond 5. in my opinion they are a great company for getting started. very nice UI and the guys are very responsive to any queries. first site i've actually made some sales which is cool. the one thing though about these sites though is its still quantity over quality although saying that they also expect the quality to be pretty good too. the other good thing is you can set your own prices, i tend to sell my tracks between $40 and $60. i wouldn't worry about the ID thing. go for it.
Old 18th December 2016
Gear Guru

I've heard that a bunch of these pseudo music library sites are also into providing black market fake ID's and drivers licenses......

Last edited by drBill; 18th December 2016 at 10:54 PM..
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

Katy Perry worked at Taxi for a year and if they couldn't help her...
Old 20th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlefactory View Post
Yeah, more of those sites will be requiring that now as they are legally considered liable for copyright infringers if they cannot provide accurate contact info for each intellectual property provider.

They are getting sued a lot because people are stealing music from the "big" libraries and putting it up on these RF sites as their own. I heard about it at the PMC. Since the RF sites don't have any accurate way of verifying identity of the people posting music, the RF site becomes 100% responsible for the infringements. Which costs $$$$. So now they require proof of identity and will probably start requiring other proofs of ID as well as a verifiable real bank account... I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually require each poster to have E&O insurance too! Lol
Old 20th December 2016
Mrx
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
Yeah, more of those sites will be requiring that now as they are legally considered liable for copyright infringers if they cannot provide accurate contact info for each intellectual property provider.

They are getting sued a lot because people are stealing music from the "big" libraries and putting it up on these RF sites as their own. I heard about it at the PMC. Since the RF sites don't have any accurate way of verifying identity of the people posting music, the RF site becomes 100% responsible for the infringements. Which costs $$$$. So now they require proof of identity and will probably start requiring other proofs of ID as well as a verifiable real bank account... I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually require each poster to have E&O insurance too! Lol
All true. I know of one library that had 5000 tracks stolen.
Old 20th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrx View Post
All true. I know of one library that had 5000 tracks stolen.
yeah I talked to a couple of big ones at the PMC that all said that they have had thousands upon thousands stolen multiple times!!! It's like one person went through and recorded all the streams off of their website and made their own huge library from it... then just keeps reposting it up to these RF sites under different names... once the music is detected by the real copyright owner and the music is pulled down... the person/people post the entire thing up again under a different name.

They had this whole panel on piracy at the PMC. I wish I caught it. It was all about this sort of thing. I think there was even a person from Pond5 on the panel talking about it and some of the steps they are going to be implementing to help stop this from happening.

I find it naive and funny that a person would think that these big music publishers aren't going to have ways to find and police their music. One of the guys I talked to said they have some system that scans all of these RF sites weekly for their music. If someone posts it up there illegally the longest it will last up there is 6 days before it gets pulled down.

The thing I found interesting though, was that I guess legally since these RF sites are granting licenses on the copyright owners' behalf, they are acting as publishing administrators. All of these RF sites seem to look at themselves as online retailers no different than amazon. But they technically aren't SELLING the music. If they were, ownership of that music would transfer to the buyer. But it doesn't. It stays with the copyright holder/creator of the music. And the rights being granted are sync and reproduction rights when you pay money on an RF site... which constitutes a LICENSE, not a purchase. Therefore these RF sites are technically publishers acting as publishing administrators and therefore automatically assume partial responsibility for the validity and originality of the copywritten material they are licensing. So... if the RF site can't find the poser of the music because they used a dummy email account and are using some sort of weird payment scheme to get paid that makes it difficult to trace... then when the RF site is sued the RF site takes full responsibility for the suit. Ouch! That's gotta suck! Hahahahah... but that is intellectual property law for you! As soon as you think you've found a "get rich quick" loophole in the copyright law (like creating an RF site and getting copyright holders to submit their music for free and then you take 50% of all their revenue) it comes back around to bite you in the behind... and hard.

I can only imagine the lawsuits are probably 6 or 7 figures each. And every time illegal music goes up and is caught, it's a new law suit for 6 or 7 figures! So if one jerk has 5000 files he/she stole from a big library and just keeps reposting it under different names every time it gets pulled down... that is potentially costing the RF site 10's of millions of dollars! I'm sure pretty much every big library has their stuff ripped off and posted illegally on multiple RF sites... so that is a LOT of lawsuits and A LOT of settlement payouts.
Old 21st December 2016
Gear Addict

So do you all not put your music up on youtube or soundcloud because it can be copied and downloaded as well? Ive heard only to put small clips up there for this exact reason but soundcloud is a great resource to be able to point potential customers to.
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
So do you all not put your music up on youtube or soundcloud because it can be copied and downloaded as well? Ive heard only to put small clips up there for this exact reason but soundcloud is a great resource to be able to point potential customers to.
....bump, what is the state of the nation in 2019 regarding this?
should a newb looking for libraries send out links to music on Soundcloud or not, or how to protect his music whilst sending it round for Libraries consideration?
Old 18th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzop View Post
....bump, what is the state of the nation in 2019 regarding this?
should a newb looking for libraries send out links to music on Soundcloud or not, or how to protect his music whilst sending it round for Libraries consideration?
Use private SoundCloud links to send to music libraries.
Old 18th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Use private SoundCloud links to send to music libraries.
Cheers. So it would e bad practice to send "watermarked" (with that annoyng noise/voice/peeep) files, right?

Cheers
Old 18th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Cheers. So it would e bad practice to send "watermarked" (with that annoyng noise/voice/peeep) files, right?

Cheers
I wouldn't do it that way. It says "I don't trust you" before you ever start a conversation....

Plus it's annoying. Just put a Copyright, ©, 2019 by xxxxxxxx notice in the email.
Old 18th July 2019
Quote:

Cheers
No.

No legitimate company is going to steal your music. Businesses want to make money. Legitimate money.

The only reason to send a private link is to keep random people on SoundCloud from stealing your music.
Old 18th July 2019
Lives for gear

Do not send watermarked files with annoying noises/voices/peeeps.

Although there is nothing wrong with adding a Copyright, © note, it is no longer required by law.

Register the music w/your copyright office, just send the music, and don't worry so much.

And personally, I wouldn't do SC. I'd have a page on my website devoted to this - a private link that only the party who receives your email will know about.

www.lorenzop.com/libmusic

- or similar.

Cheers.
Old 18th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
And personally, I wouldn't do SC. I'd have a page on my website devoted to this - a private link that only the party who receives your email will know about.

www.lorenzop.com/libmusic

- or similar.

Cheers.
YES! I'd be even more specific :

www.lorenzop.com/libmusic/extreme/aaron

I've always presented in the controlled environment of my own website / webpages where (mostly) nothing can go whacky.
Old 18th July 2019
Lives for gear

So you'd do a sep page for each individual person? Interesting idea...
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

....yeah I´d thought about this too, maybe having a page only accessible with a password that I would send in email what you think?
Or is it kind of "creepy" AND too much work for a Music Sup to open a mail from an unknown cold-calling composer, open an unkown link AND then have to type in a password....

BTW is it really necessary to register music at Copyright office or is it enough if member of PRO and registering songs there only?
Old 19th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
So you'd do a sep page for each individual person? Interesting idea...
Yeah. I probably wouldn't even put up the "libmusic" page, cause it makes it too easy for a viewer to click on the folder above and see all the other libraries I may be talking with.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search