The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
To Taxi or not to taxi
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Yeah. I probably wouldn't even put up the "libmusic" page, cause it makes it too easy for a viewer to click on the folder above and see all the other libraries I may be talking with.
If you put a index.html file, with basic <BODY>and <HTML> tags, that will stop users from gaining access to the dir. that houses the page they are looking at.
Old 19th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Yeah. I probably wouldn't even put up the "libmusic" page, cause it makes it too easy for a viewer to click on the folder above and see all the other libraries I may be talking with.
Yes, Jeff's solution, or you can remove "read" permission to the "libmusic" directory for "others". Probably you want rwx --- --x.
Old 19th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggingForRoots View Post
I cant imagine that with so many subscribers they really push your music but I know some people do really well on there. advance!
how many subscribers do they have i'm curious?

imo you better off going direct to libraries, why use a middle man if you can find the work yourself.
Old 20th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymc View Post
how many subscribers do they have i'm curious?

imo you better off going direct to libraries, why use a middle man if you can find the work yourself.
Thousands

I was a meber for a couple of years ( 2016+17 ) and had a generally positive of experience..not always though.

The Good :

Learned how to make usable Library music

Made some good friends via the forums

Accepted into 3 Libraries that are now getting me placements on reality shows

Everyone says the Road Rally is great although I wasn't able to attend personally

The listings can be fun and the deadlines motivating

The Bad :

It can be expensive if you submit a lot

A so called Library 'deal' that came through was for a well known RF Library

One Library owner sent a contract for some cues but then never responded again when they were returned to him signed.

At the end of the day the membership is what you make of it, some have done really well and gone on to quit their day jobs and make music full time. Others have gone even further and run their own succesful Libraries now.

Conversely there are folks who seem to have been members for years, who's music is still not all that great. They may get the occasional track forwarded to some Libraries but you need a lot of those to get a bite.

I've since gotten into a few Libraries by myself but I think it would have been harder if I hadn't gone through that learning curve in those first two years.

When you start out you don't know what you don't know...2yrs later I knew way more so I didn't feel like needed them any longer.
Old 20th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicdolphin View Post
Thousands

I was a meber for a couple of years ( 2016+17 ) and had a generally positive of experience..not always though.

The Good :

Learned how to make usable Library music

Made some good friends via the forums

Accepted into 3 Libraries that are now getting me placements on reality shows

Everyone says the Road Rally is great although I wasn't able to attend personally

The listings can be fun and the deadlines motivating

The Bad :

It can be expensive if you submit a lot

A so called Library 'deal' that came through was for a well known RF Library

One Library owner sent a contract for some cues but then never responded again when they were returned to him signed.

At the end of the day the membership is what you make of it, some have done really well and gone on to quit their day jobs and make music full time. Others have gone even further and run their own succesful Libraries now.

Conversely there are folks who seem to have been members for years, who's music is still not all that great. They may get the occasional track forwarded to some Libraries but you need a lot of those to get a bite.

I've since gotten into a few Libraries by myself but I think it would have been harder if I hadn't gone through that learning curve in those first two years.

When you start out you don't know what you don't know...2yrs later I knew way more so I didn't feel like needed them any longer.
this is an excellent post for those who are on the fence about Taxi. i guess read the pro's and cons here and make up your own mind if its right or wrong for you. i personally just skipped this phase and learnt on the job so to speak.
Old 21st July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymc View Post
this is an excellent post for those who are on the fence about Taxi. i guess read the pro's and cons here and make up your own mind if its right or wrong for you. i personally just skipped this phase and learnt on the job so to speak.
Yeah, when you think about it probably 99 point something % of writers out there got where they are via a different path.

It can be absouloutely right for some people but for others it's just a money pit because they'll never make the step up. It's not really Taxi's fault if they don't but it's a clever business model in that sense.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search